WBCM1 - Allons enfants de la patrie, Le jour de gloire est arrivé! French SG

Nevermind, I was able to find it. In the future try to keep close watch on filenames and links :scan: ...avoiding underscores and trying to keep everything lowercase works best.

ah...sorry about that one jumbo. I meant to check it uploaded OK, but I was getting 404 errors all over the place yesterday when I was posting (still am on loads of other sites)...and then I totally forgot

Summary: A fairly uneventful set of turns...that I played fairly oddly (and perhaps incorrectly?) I was being patient at first, building up some Musketeers...then realized I was perhaps being *too* patient. I then decided to just go ahead and upgrade some guys to muskets, followed up by a declaration of war on Arabia. :ninja: Anyway, we've captured one city and will our first (successful) attack next turn will begin our Golden Age!

(0) 890AD - Change a couple build orders. Specifically, horsemen builds become Musketeers. We don't need many, but we need enough to take Mansura and Khurasan with a low chance of loss (perhaps 12-15 total). If I'm understanding the team's strategy correctly, after finishing researching Metallurgy (4 turns) we're going to pass on Military Tradition until *after* our GA, during which we'll have the opportunity to build a mass of horseman and a big horde of cash for upgrades. Moreover, I'm going to pass (for now) on upgrading our spears and pikes for offensive Musketeers, because that would be require pulling units off of our cities. I might change my mind later, though.

Babylon wants Incense, Wines, Invention, WM, and cash for Astronomy. Forget that!

(I) Paris completes Sistine. Babylon begins Copernicus.

(1) 900AD - There's a settler sleeping north of Tours. Is he intended for somewhere? Perhaps the NW Island? (Speaking of which, I'm not a fan of Strasbourg's location...I think it would've been better to have a two cities on the island, one on the eastern side, one on the west. Unless there was an intention to fit three cities on the island?)

(2) 910AD - :sleep:

(3) 920AD - Adjust slider to get Metallurgy next turn and earn extra cash.

(4) 930AD - Metallurgy->Astro, 4 turns, 18gpt. Hmm...there's an open spot with unused, potentially useful tiles south of Cherbourg. Wake the settler, and get him marching over there.

(5) 940AD - :sleep:

(6) 950AD - Up to 7 Musketeers. I change my mind, and upgrade a total of 4 pikes and spears to muskets. We have "enough" Muskets, but I want to build some more (to clean up the empty cities) before resuming horseman production. It will take a few turns to move these attackers into place, by which time musket production in these cities will replace the pulled garrisons.

(7) 960AD - Adjust sliders, getting 159g next turn. Mining over some irrigated bonus grasslands. Musketeers continue their march. Move some horsemen to the north, to support the musket attackers there.

(I) Astro->Banking, 4 turns, 16gpt.

(8) 970AD - Buy Babylon's map and sell it around, netting some pennies. Forces are organized how I like them (or as much as I do without wanting to wait for more). It will be a few turns march to the cities themselves, and declaring (honorably) next turn will allow the marching Musketeers to reach the cities just as the horsemen meet them.

(9) 980AD - Declare war on Arabia. Move troops near Khurasan (can attack in two turns, well, actually the horses can attack next turn, but we want to make sure we get the GA!) and Mansura (can attack next turn). Found Enameville in the small gap south of Cherbourg.

(10) 990AD - Attack on Mansura (I wanted to attack this turn that wait for the lone Musketeer to make it).

Horse: wins.
Horse: wins, taking the city, and 2 settlers->4 workers.

Move units next to Khurasan. We are ready to strike Khurasan next turn. 5 Muskeeters, 3 horsemen. Overkill against a city whose best defender is a regular spear? Maybe, maybe not...

Our just built (and a second is in production in Marseilles) Caravel is exploring a large expanse of Sea in the western ocean. Possibly some new contacts soon?

I've been using some of our just built Musketeers to put at least one unit in some of our open cities. I'm pretty sure that the AI perceives a big difference between cities with zero units and cities with at least one unit.

At pre-GA production levels, Paris finishes Copernicus in 15, Tours finishes Leo in 11, Baghdad is set to palace (but can finish Sun Tzu in 28). Still, I would consider researching Music Theory after Banking and swapping Copernicus for JS Bach.

Obviously, it would be nice to get one of Arabia's two beachhead cities in any peace deal. I'm actually fairly ambivalent to attacking either Azteca or Babylon first; it's not like Babylon is a real threat that needs to be countered, and they're both going to get steamrolled anyway. [plasma] :hammer:

.WBCM1-990AD.zip

EDIT: I realized, in looking at the game once more, that I must be going colorblind...I accidentally sailed our caravel into the ocean :smoke: so it could be going under next turn.

EDIT: I realized, in looking at the game once more, that I must be going colorblind...I accidentally sailed our caravel into the ocean so it could be going under next turn.

:D Useless excuse. I am colourblind and that's about the only problem I DON'T have

On a vaguely more serious note...

we're on 70% water, continents. We know of 5 civs, with a LOT of land on the Eastern side. We haven't built it, so the AI must have the lighthouse, so I think contact would've been made one way or another if the sea was close enough. Which leads me to 2 assumptions. Firstly, the other landmass(es) are far away, and given the sheer amount of land on our side, they must be small. I may be wrong of course, but I'd say domination may happen with just the Aztec/Bab island. I'm probably wrong...I usually am and end up with the spaceship instead in my games :(

It'd be nice to find them anyway of course

Preturn

Ichange some coastal queues to caravals... I want a navy now
I give a medina an entertainer
I move some offensive units to the coastal staging point (swords) and manouver some inner defensive units to the outer cities, to ensure our coast is protected.

(1) 1000ad
Banking in 1 turn
I move to intergrate some workers into some of our major cities that dont have maximum pop yet
Our first musketeer kills an arabian spearman, and our GA starts
Our ocean bearing caravel survives, I return it home..an invasion fleet is more important that finding backwards civilisations.
We get banking...music theory in 4 turns at +410gpt !!!

(2) 1010ad
Changed a few queues...we have too many defensive units.
We are very safe on our continent...we need more offensive

(3) 1020ad
ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

(4) 1030ad
For the want of something to do, I rushed the temple in Strasbourg
I contact the arabs...and yes they are prepared to declare peace and give us a city.
This is good news, but my staging point plans have now changed, as I was planing on invading Babylon.
Now it will have to through the Aztecs.

(5) 1040ad
All troops were intercepted and turned to Leipzig

(6)1050ad
We get music theory, I choose Military tradition up next in 4 @ +202gpt

(7) 1060ad
I get notice that the poor Germans have been destroyed :)
It wasnt me...I swear
Tours finished Leos Workshop....Half Price upgrades for all :)
The babs change to Cops Observatory
The damn babs settle on Jumbo Island...we will have to share it.

(8) 1070ad
ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

(9) 1080ad
Zzzzzzzzzzz

(10) 1090ad
We learn Military Tradition, Economics in 4 @ +320gpt
My last turn...

Summary... We have a mass of horsemen at Leipzig, ready to be upgraded to Knights
We have a fleet of Caravals ready to transport them to our city on the Aztec Continent.
We have settlers ready also to settle on the new continent if we raze cities.

A lot of our cities dont have any barracks, so I switched Baghdad to the Sun Tzu...finished in 2 turns
Paris will have JS Bachs Cathedral finished in 6 turns.

JS Bachs is essential...we need an "happy" wonder.
Sun Tzu is still negotiable.

This needs to be considered before this turn is ended.
Paris can switch to Cops Obs and be finished in 1 round
And Baghdad and be switched to JS Bachs

Or we can switch one to the palace and save for Smiths Trading.

So...the next leader has a choice of Wondsers....
Cops Obs
JS Bachs
Sun Tzu
Smiths

My choices would be JS Bachs & Sun Tzu
Both of these will help us with a domination win, if that is what we are after.

With regards to the War....
I suggest, before the end of the turn, the horsemen are upgraded to Cav.
Then everyone is shipped to the Aztecs

We start a war as soon as everyone is shipped over.
Our GA will be over in 10 turns.

We can either

1) Take the easy target and wipe out the Aztecs.
2) Get a ROP from the Aztecs, and take out Babylon.

I suggest Aztecs
Babylonia has gunpowder, and therefore Musketmen.
We need to get a solid presence on their continent before we take them on.
That means we wipe out the Aztecs first...who only have pikes.

I suggest we can be at war in about 5-6 turns.
Note the Aztecs single source of horses....take that out early.

Yeah, Monarch. I think I'm turning it around though. Chinese have 9 parts ready for the spaceship so it's a race against time. I'll look for your mail in your profile. Otherwise I'll upload it here.

Preturn (0): Once again the house of Harleqin comes to power and the newly elected president is pleased at seing the nation in a golden age. Looking across the nation he only changes one thing. It can’t be right that Paris only have spearmen for defence so all remaining units of these are upgraded to musketeers wherever possible.

1100 AD (1): Troop movements continue and 15 horsemen are upgraded to cavalry. Nothing else of consequence takes place.

1110 AD (2): our city of Baghdad completes a massive military training complex and a man named Sun Tzu is commissioned to take charge of affairs. All obsolete barracks are sold. It starts on building a great observatory though It will later be a massive bank. It doesn’t get much done though as the best astronomer in the world moves to Babylonia.

1120 AD (3): A quiet year.

1130 AD (4): Troop movement continues. We are almost in position. A temple is hurried at Muscat as the expanded borders will let our cavalry reach Texcoco in one turn.

1140 AD (5): Ecomonics are learnt. We start trying to understand physics. Baghdad starts Smiths. Library rushed at Muscat. Some aquaducts are started. We need cities to get to size 7.

1150 AD (6): We complete a major Cathedral in Paris to honour the gods and our ancestors. Major happiness is caused throughout the nation.

1160 AD (7): Ha, the silly Aztecs doesn’t even have invention yet. The borders expand at Muscat. Do we have any deals with the Aztecs? Only peace. Well, we’ll give you peace if you give us chivalry. No? well, sound the trumpets. France is going to WAR! The first blow is struck by Jumbo’s Rider who captures two enemy workers. Then the cavalry moves in on Texcoco. We have to attack pikes across a river, but still the city is captured. Four Aztecs units end their lives that day but sadly so does two regiments of cavalry. Once the borders expand we will have gems.

1170 AD (8): Aztec knights counterattack and are beaten back with minimal losses. We learn physics and start the Theory of Gravity. We assault and capture Tenochtitlan. Normally I wouldn’t capture a high culture capital, but I think we can win this war before it flips. At the same time it brings gems, our fifth luxury, online. Only one regiment lost in the attack.

1180 AD (9): We consolidate for a turn while exploring. A caravel spots a purple border. Scandinavia! He knows England and Spain, but doesn’t know monarchy or currency yet. We won’t trade him contacts though. On the other hand…. Babylon has galleons. We might as well cash in on it. The English are more advanced. The Spanish are on par with the English and the biggest. And they hold Scandinavian cities.

1190 AD (10): One cavalry lost to counterattacks, but we hold. An attack on Tlatelolco is beaten back with no losses though we slay one pike.

1200 AD (11): I take on extra turn to even out the numbers. We capture Calixtahuaca and mop up a few units. The president is pleased to step down at this time and hand over the empire. ToG up next turn. Slider already adjusted.

Here is the game

nice. I really want to play these turns, but I'm off back to uni in 2 and a half hours. Tonight is a possibility, as is tomorrow afternoon. On the other hand, I may not even get online until Wednesday.

This is a 'got it', but be strict with the 48hrs deadline for playing

:goodjob: taking it to the Aztecs, Harleqin!

Scandinavia! He knows England and Spain, but doesn’t know monarchy or currency yet.

:viking: :rocket2:

In a few hundred years, perhaps we'll be sending our :tank: :tank: :tank: against their spearmen! :lol:

(Unless Spain wipes them out first, that is...)

just to let you know, I've played half my turns now, but my bed beckons for a 9 oclock lecture so I'll try to get the rest done tomorrow. All I'll say is I hope we didn't have any plans to keep the Aztecs alive for one reason or another :D

We could always use them as a pet :lol:

I am keen to see how advanced the Babs are.
If we can prune them, then this game is well and truely over.

phew...I never thought I'd end that...the report is a little sketchy through the turns, but I summarised the key points for jumbo in the last paragraph.

I missed every bit of fighting in the last two wars...this turn certainly made up for it!

1) 1210 AD - Attack on Tlatelolco: Goes well. One retreat, two victories to take the poorly defended size 8 city. Babylonian borders edge way into the city's territory. As soon as the resisitance is over, I will rush a temple.

Attack on Atzcapotzalco. We go in with three cavs. First (veteran) wins with 2 lots of damage. Second (slightly wounded elite) LOSES, leaving the reg pike with one bar left. That goes to two as he is promoted, but the third cav finishes him off to two damage himself. So...that's it then. No more defenders? WRONG. We are prevented from walking in by a worker it seems. I am utterly confused by this, and by the next turn, a vet pike appears non-fortified there. What's more, I've got to type that city name again. Grrrr.

(2) 1220 AD - I send all I have in the direction of Tlacopan. Two vet pikes are beaten by two vet cavs, but both elite cavs are beaten back by one reg spearman before a vet claims the city, splitting the Aztec empire in two. Teotihuacan and the new capital Tlaxcala in the south, Xochicalco and A-town in the east.

(3) 1230AD - assult on the Eastern coast. One pike in Xochicalco killed, but the second survives. That'll be ours next turn instead then. A-town loses it's defending pike relatively easy. Behind that, there's...a galley. Next cav attacks, a longbowman appears to defend, fails miserably, boat sinks, town is ours finally. Feeling left out at not having a town named after him, Brian renames the horrendously spelt town to something more appropriate

(4) 1240AD - Teotihuacan falls, all troops in the area gather there ready for a long range attack on Tlaxcala in ten years time. Xochicalco is doomed too, but will have to wait for next turn as reinforcements show up.

(5) 1250AD - Two elite cavs attack Tlaxcala from afar, beat the reg pikemen with no loss of health at all. By now I'm leader fishing and go for a 3/5 elite next. He wins against the third reg pikeman, but again, we lack a leader. Only vets left, but the first beat the knight with ease. Tlaxcala taken , culture in that and Teotihuacan are vital...Bab pressure on them is significant from both sides. That left Montezuma in Xichicalco then. Not for long...Jumbo's rider sorted them out.

THE AZTECS ARE NO MORE. Incredibly efficient war. I probably lost no more than 4 units. We'll need more for Babylon. Forgot to mention we also moved into the indutrial age this turn withthe discovery of magnetism. Steam Power next...lets get a few rails going round here :D

I plan 5 turns of consolidation…fat chance of that :( ……..

(8) 1265AD – The Babs send troops into our territory outside Teotihuacan. I’d consolidated all troops to Tenochtitlan as that was a safer city than the culturally threatened southern cities. We have 5 of their med infs and a couple of pikemen in our borders. There’s a stack of musketmen and med inf behind that comprising of 9 units. They’ll sneak attack next turn for sure. I tell them to get out or declare war. They declare war as I expected, but at least we have first shot at them.

Clearing the units around Teotihuacan, and an elite cav pops a leader. He creates a cav army (there is no need at all to rush wonders at this time really with such a tech lead). Mopping up the final unit of theirs in striking range (ie outside a city as they have no connected horses), and we pop ANOTHER leader. De Gaulle is sent back to the home continent to rush one of the army-related wonders.

(9) 1270AD – I change a few more cities to cavs/muskets, and wipe out any further Babylonian units in our borders, and others on the edge other than that stack of nine, which moved round our borders rather than into them.

(10) 1275 – AGAIN, the stack of nine moves round our borders rather than over them. I’t still got a significant defense bonus on hills so I remain cautious, instead attacking Uruk with an elite cav. That wins (but no leader – I think it thinks two is more than enough :D), and the cav army. Of course, the army wins and captures the city.

So there you go…5 turns of Aztec annihilation, 2 turns of peace, 2 turns of defensive war and one turn taking it to the Babs.

Last I checked, Babylon lacked Chemistry (though I don’t know now), so they’re a way off their free Nationalism discovery (which we are now researching though that is vetoable as no beakers have gone towards it yet) and the accompanying riflemen. Workers have all been activated to build rails as we have 3 coal sources. None near Baghdad though :(.

Wonders: De Gaulle is on a boat ready to rush one of the military ones. Ashur is building Magellans for the Babs. I don’t really care though…We should get that city soon, and we don’t even have the advance or the need for it in this war. Paris is building Newton’s College, Baghdad is close to completing Smiths. We could build Newtons in Cherbourg in the end (that has more science), and use the build in Paris as a prebuild for Universal Suffrage or something

I’d say we continue with this war and destroy the Babs before they get Nationalism just to make it easier on ourselves, though at this point, I don’t really think it matters what we do.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/WBCM-1_1275_AD.zip

Two leaders :)

Excellent.... I suggest we build the heroic epic somewhere.
It really does help in the leader generation.

Not that we need any more leaders to win the game, but they should never be sneezed at.

Regs

Got it, but I don't think I have time to play it until tomorrow night.

Excellent job crushing the Aztecs so quickly! :goodjob:

That wins (but no leader – I think it thinks two is more than enough

Remember, you can only have one leader at once!

Anyway, I'll need to check the shields to be sure about what I want DeGaulle doing. I'm of a mind to switch one of the wonder-building cities to Heroic Epic (if it doesn't waste shields) for a quick finish (and possibility of even more leaders as we take it to the Babs), and then rushing the wonder that was being built somewhere else. Hmm...based on what you've written, it sounds like Paris->Epic, Cherbourg->Rushed Newton could work.

I'm also considering passing up Nationalism and aiming right for factories, but I'll take suggestions.

yeah...factories is probably a better bet, followed by hospitals. As for wonders...well, we'll get them all from here on in with the possible exception of Magellans. I like the sound of a Cherbourg rush job on Newtons though.

When I play single player, I have usually won the game by now, and only conducting mopping up operations.

I usually beeline for replaceable parts (artillary/infantry), as it allows me to crush the remnents of the other civs faster.

But really it does not matter what tech we study. They all have their benifits. It is only when the game has not been won yet do we have to be selective about what to study.

Regs

Top Bottom