We demand liberal/secular

England lost the US because taxes were unbearable. Not because of religious dissensions.

In fact, all of Europe great colonial empires were lost because of the europeans thinking they were of superior bred, resulting in scandalous oppresion in the colonies. Even toward other white people.
True to an extent. But the effects of men like Jefferson and Paine were huge on the Revolution, both in it's instigation, and in it's maintenance. These men were at least partly motivated by the desire to separate The Church and The State in an official capacity, and in the case of Paine, well, read the Rights of Man. The Church of England, being an official State sanctioned institution with real political power was a part of the revolution, and part of the reason why many of the rebels fought. Hell the whole divine right of Kings was another huge crux to the issue, the notion of self governance and the rhetoric for it was partially built against that nonsense.

Perhaps civics which have state religions would cause unhappiness in cities with non-state religions.
Can't do - this actually is bugged in BtS game engine. I tried to make such civic changes in v2.5 but had to discard them due to this bug.

Edit: forgot to mention that those values in liberal and secular have been dropped from 200% to 100% and I've been thinking to drop it from secular totally. By default in BtS the value used is 400%.

@Phungus420 : It seems obvious to me religion was only a pretext for those guys, they had economical reasons as their real motivation. In fact revolts and revolution are never lead by disinterested people, even if those same people will swear they act for the good of their kind.

It seems logical those founding fathers of america mostly worked for their own good, as all other successfull revolutionary leader before (and after) them. The construction of the Great Ploutocracy of America, Defender of the Rich and Wealthy, wasn't done by idealists, that's sure. Nor by poor people.

Thanks, Jabarto, for giving the info on how to edit liberal and secular. While the unhappiness from not having those civics didn't give me that much trouble, I found it irritating that all of the AI civs always chose liberal and secular, even if their favorite civ was National (for example), since they "do not want unhappiness penalty". It made the later stage of game slightly duller.

Thanks Jabarto.
And to Zappara for this mod, and his recent comments.

I agree that liberal should remain partially attractive to people, secular or religious.

The trick will be to create the right balance, so that the AI can develop real character in its civics. This will make the game even better!! :)

Top Bottom