1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"we have our reasons"

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by TheLastOne36, Feb 13, 2008.

1. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

I'm just goin through my pictures to delete them and i found this: Why is Alex saying this?

Maybe we should have a Glossary somewhere telling people what each comment means.

2. Pe Ell

Pe Ell Warlord

I believe this one means he's building a wonder that requires that tech and is unwilling to give you the chance to beat him.

3. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Yeah, he wants it exclusively for a period of time for the advantage. It's commonly for a World Wonder or possibly a military advantage. Possibly some other advantage.

4. cairnsy44

cairnsy44 Gooner - first class

so each reply means something specific other than simply, "no?"
    I seem to remember someone saying that "We have enough on our hands right now" meant they were about to declare war on you....truth?

5. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

6. Still_Asleep

Still_Asleep Warlord

"we have our reasons" ---> Building a wonder unlocked by this technology

"we have enough on our hands" ---> AI is planning a war, or is currently at war

Every response does mean something different, and by understanding it you gain an advantage. If you see an AI is preparing a war, and you feel its likely they will attack you, prepare. On the other hand, if you pissed someone off but they dont have anything on their hands, they will not attack in near future. This needs to be checked regularly.

7. sterben

sterben Chieftain

What about, "We aren't quite ready to trade that technology away yet?" I always thought that was what they said when Wonder building.

Unless that's what they use for beelines for tech GPs or liberalism or something...

8. Say_my_name

Say_my_name Warlord

This means that they have a Monopoly on the tech and are thus reluctant to trade it away, IIRC.

9. sterben

sterben Chieftain

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

10. lordqarlyn

lordqarlyn Warlord

I read somewhere that AI's also do not trade techs that allow you to build a wonder they are working on.

11. ggganz

ggganz a.k.a. The Scyphozoa

WFYABTA-We Fear You Are Becoming Too Advanced..... pretty self-explanitory. As is "worst enemy".

12. magicalsushi

magicalsushi Prince

WFYABTA is not quite as obvious as it sounds. The AI's have a hard-wired limit as to how many techs they're willing to trade to you over the course of the game. It varies from leader to leader - between 5 and 20 techs on standard settings, whatever they are. The thing is, this means that if you do a lot of trading early in the game, and fall behind later, some leaders may still "fear you are becoming too advanced", even though they're getting ready to launch their spaceships while you're building musketmen. They hit their trading limit with you earlier, and from that moment on, they'll say you're too advanced, without paying attention to how advanced you actually are. As such, it isn't quite as intelligent as it sounds. I gather most human players tend to kill off leaders once they've hit this limit with them, as they're no longer useful.

On a slightly related note, there's another message you sometimes see about refusing tech trades: "no thanks, we'd rather win the game". I think this one turns up on techs which allow the building of spaceship parts. I play on low difficulty levels so I don't see it very often; I don't know how regularly it turns up.

13. Quotey

Quotey Emperor

"No thanks, we'd rather win the game" also comes up as an option for something else- declare war/peace? Anyway, it means they are going for a domination or conquest victory and they will be coming after you eventually.

14. Jastrow

Jastrow Deity

That's not completly accurate. It means that they think they have a Monopoly. They may be wrong (if another civ which they do not have contact with yet, also has the tech.)

15. Ivpiter

Ivpiter Chieftain

The "No thanks, we'd rather win the game" also comes up with the space race techs if they're going for that. They aren't going to trade stuff to you that allows you to build space ship parts.

16. Equisilus

Equisilus Unlikely

This is fascinating stuff. I got the gist of most of the comments, but didn't realize that they were far more involved than that. Thanks for all the info; it might just help my pathetic playing skills. ;)