We met cdzland in the channel

Provolution

Sage of Quatronia
WE MET CDZLAND IN THE CHANNEL

Gentlemen

I logged in this morning, as a matter of routine, and there I saw it, "in the bare glimpse from the sunshine, a fishing boat with broadsails, and I could hear they yelled "CDZLAND" at us. They looked like fierce warriors with better oars than we do, and they seemed less sea sick and tougher than our guys. They also laughed at our clubs and pebbles, brandishing shining axes and shields at us."

As we need to establish where they are heading, we need to know if they are going out of the inlet, or into the inlet. This will establish if they are indeed from the island we saw east, or from the end of the bay itself, or north of India.

I say its high time we get Animal Husbandry and Iron Working, as we need to consider the long term military picture with this war-mongering nation we just met.

I suggest the following tech route now, as we do not have copper:

Iron Working-Writing-Math-Calendar-Hunting-Animal Husbandry

I think forfeiting military technologies right now is outright dumb, to be honest, in terms of localizing these critical resources as we miss copper. Their working boat will see our cultural borders in 10 turns (Turn 51), which suggests we settle in "Resonance" city first, in order to block off ocean travel around our island. Ideally, we should direct them east, if possible, and ourselves look into the channel a bit.

Attachments

• CDZLand.jpg
    CDZLand.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 59
We wouldn't be able to found the resonance location by turn 51. If it wouldn't actually block ocean travel around our island in time then I think that removes the reason to try and settle it next.

I would rather assume the channel looks like the one we already explored and move on to meet the next civ in line.

Well, I guess we should have a decision on who wants to be the diplomat - I'd be ok as I said in other threads, if nobody particular thought they really wanted to work with CDZ. We've sent them our team email yet, and any ideas on drafting our first real message? Besides that, I hope things don't take a warlike turn and that we can work together...

I'm pretty sure this means that team down there is no longer India, and it is Vikings after all. I don't see how it actually could be India even because for CDZ to get their workboat that far would take major coincidence (if CDZ was to the north and India is the civ right nearby). Most likely scenario, I think, is that CDZ has their capital culture reach the coast to their North/East - so we'd scout it shortly, and this is just their exploring workboat, that was up along in the inlet.

I also favor moving on to the next civ. The inlet is probably just like ours...the thing is CDZ knows it now, and probably know we came from the east, but that's that anyway.

We could tech IW or AH after sailing, both are possible, but diplomacy is also going to be a factor now, see what this team is after. I know that discussion is going on in other threads too.

As for settling -there's no way we get our second city overseas. Getting our third is *possible* but seems like an unnecessary hassle - our third city on-island can be settled with worker improvements (wheat) already in place and grows faster and costs less. The only reason to get the third on the mainland is to try to block people from getting through, and if we sign OB for trade or they do a phony DoW anyway it hardly does that, and would kind of annoy them.

Well based on meeting this workboat i'd say the civ to our east is probably the vikings. But there is still the possibility that the culture showing is the indians and the vikings live beyond them. So lets not assume anything. It would be silly to start talking to them like they are nextdoor neighbors if they actually live two houses down. We do need to strike up a friendly conversation with them now though. More about that in the embassy thread.

Based on my the workboat screenie from turn 28 I think that it's a fair assumption to say that the inlet is a dead end which will waste the best part of 8 turns to traverse. Lets keep heading east.

Top Bottom