1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

We need Austria

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Barton, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barton

Barton Chieftain

We need Austria in this game, their greatness cannot just be put under the German title. Germany and Austria, though similar peoples are not the same place and the Greatness of Austria in the history of Europe far outways that of people's current winge fest Poland. Austria has been a dominent power over Eastern Europe and for a long period in History the corner stone of the Hapsburg Empire. To even consider Poland before Austria would be like thinking Al Gore really believes in what he's doing [look up his house].

We must also remember I mean Austria before the compromise of the 1850's were they had to split the Empire in two into Austria and Hungary instead of just the Great Austria. They were much more powerful before this and we must remember this. Frans Josef is also a definite no because of the compromise.

We need Austria nearly as much as Israel and we need Poland about as much as we need AIDS or Al Gore. Think wisely people.

2. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

I could give you 10 good reasons why Poland should be in before Austria. Want to hear them?

3. aronnax

aronnax Let your spirit be free

Alright, all Polish and pro polish people, time to load your flamethrowers with fresh oil and fire!

4. Bast

Bast Protector of Cats

We definitely need Austria and Maria Theresa!!

5. Lance of Llanwy

Lance of Llanwy King

We definitely need new civilizations, unless, of course, we should include Makedonia and Sassanid Persia as well...but then we're not playing Civilization, are we?

6. LightSpectra

LightSpectra me autem minui

I'd like to see Italy and Israel before Austria and Poland.

7. Barton

Barton Chieftain

Some of your reasons are in the 20th Century, are you people joking. Poland got screwed to the wall in the 20th century. They started as part of Russia and Germany and once freed by the Paris Peace Conference they decided to give the Danzig and surrounding areas into poland despite they where in every way German. The fact they invaded Vilnius in 1920 after the Soviet concieded it back to lithuania really takes my nerve. The Poles had by this time already signed a treaty concieding that Vilnius was a lithuania city, but you know, a great civilization. Then in 1939 it got... repayed for some of their doings and punished for having the Polish coridor. In my opinion Hitler was quite justified in marching troops into the Rhineland and especially retaking the Polish coridor and the Danzig. Most of the things such as the Sudetenland crisis and that weren't quite as just but the Attack on Poland in many ways was just, though the Soviet weren't just in any way. I think really Poland should have been attacked by Lithuania, but you know. And yes, the naughty little vassal of the Warsaw Pact. It was a puppet state.

hmmm... I know, the last three civilizations will be Manchukuo, Vichy France and Poland. We all need puttet states!

In the last century Poland has been about as impressive as Adelaides tallest building, the building formerly know as the Santos building. Look upon ye' and see her 32 storys of glory. It either that or go somewhere good. [Note: I live in Adelaide]. I can see the point of including Poland because of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, but, Poland just isn't big enough or significant enough to be put in over Khmer, Austria & Israel [if there is no Israel all of Firaxis should be electrocuted until there is].

In fact, my list
    1. Israel
    2. Austria
    3. Khmer
    4. Siam
    5. Poland
    6. Maori
    7. Abbysinia
    ... past that don't really give a damn at the moment
    But point remains...
    AUSTRIA

oh, and Rome is pretty much Italy,
    anyhow, modern Italy has been quite pathetic, and as for soccer I think they should win the diving in Beijing

8. Ramesses 3000

Ramesses 3000 Chieftain

Yeah, Italy should be in, with their unique unit being a Mobster (replaces Corporate Missionary). Basically, you send him to other cities, and he creates unhappiness and higher maint. costs... Unless you build a Jail! :lol:

9. Barton

Barton Chieftain

Either that or a Stadium

10. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

We need more civs representing minor European countries! Europe is the only place that matters! Only white people can build real civilisations!
    You see, this is the kind of nonsense we are three steps from embracing. The game is Eurocentric enough as it is, we don't know more European civs. Poland and Austria are both bad ideas for new civs.

11. Paideia

Paideia Warlord

I would like to present an opposing view :devil: : We don't need any of the European civilizations you mention.
    No Austria
    No Poland
    No Italy
    No Macedonia
    .. and for that matter No Israel or Hittites (plenty of middle eastern civs)

What we do need are:
    More South East Asian civilizations (Siam and Khmer have been mentioned and are both excellent candidates)
    Possible a Pacific one (if a suitably candidate can be found. I'm still not buying Polynesia)
    Maybe another South American (I would like a more modern state, but am reluctant to accept the Gran Bolivia civ under Simon Bolivar that certain people have been calling for)

These areas are underrepresented in Civilization (and have been troughout the series).

..and while I'm setting myself up for flaming :scared: , might I add that I think the "Civ X is so cool and ruled for so much longer than civ Y and beat the crap out of civ Z"-argument is getting a little stale..

12. Panda

Panda Metal head

Bigot alert! Cretin spotted putting words into other people's mouth! :hammer:

13. Barton

Barton Chieftain

How about the "what the sweet jesus did any pacific civilizations do, I can quite happily have a Maori civ [they beat the crap out of the Brits and managed to force a peace treaty, not a New Zealand is British], but apart from that their useless. South East Asia does need one, Khmer I'd say. Israel is needed because more than 2/3s of the world's populous in under one of the religions that originated out of Israel. Austria IS needed, I've already said why numerous times and can't be bothered typing it again because I'm cold.

Also make Civ X me, Civ Z you, and everyone else can be nobody whilst my alter ego is Civ Y.

14. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

After the end of the Holy Roman Empire Austria has been significant for about 100 years, got annexed by Germany and is now one of the smaller countries of Europe.
    There are enough Nations who should be in CIV before Austria should even be considered.

15. Paideia

Paideia Warlord

Firstly, how is that any kind of argument for their being a great civilization? Italy invented pizza which 2/3's of the world's population enjoys. Does that make them a natural candidate?
    Second, in the period where Christianity was founded in Palestine/Israel/Whatever, it was under Roman control (before that the Greek, before that the Persians and before that the Babylonians). The Kingdom of Israel and Judeah had long since ceased to exist and the modern state of Israel (which is fundamentally different from the ancient kingdom) wasn't to come for two millennia.

16. Barton

Barton Chieftain

In the same way your face is made of marble you goit. Re-read your "history further back than 2002 for dummies and Labor Politicians" and re-think what you have typed.

That applies to more than one person...

Now Israel is significant and Jewdaism is the fundamental basis of 2/3's of the worlds religion and the religion itself as well as those who took on that which sprang from it have made the world what it is today. As an empire itself it was taken by the roman yes, but what it had done before and its people after is by far more important. It is a bit unorthodox to my own views on a civ in this game, but it deserves its place.

17. scy12

scy12 Deity

I would like to see the Autsrorhungarian empire in the game. Entering just as Austria or Hungary does seem unfair though.

18. Barton

Barton Chieftain

Austria, just Austria, before the 1850 compromise

19. Hitti-Litti

Hitti-Litti Deity

Paideia@

You mean the order of controllers is Rome, Greek, Phoenicia?(not Rome!), Persia, Babylonia?

20. TheArchduke

TheArchduke Feeling at home..

I agree, Austria should be in.

But I hope that Firaxis stops this nonsense and announces all civilizations at once.

How hard can it be?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.