We NEED better citadels/forts in BE

Maybe a good idea is to have special units for inside forts. These units should be weak units outside forts but should be strong inside and maybe even grant the fort a 1 tile range attack. To make this work effectively these units need to be cheap in maintainance, so that it will be used.

The problem with forts (not citadels), is that they take so long to build

I always wondered about the fact that a whole city is instantly built, while tile improvements, specially the fort, takes ages, quite literally, as 5 turns can encompass 500 years depending on the era you are.

I always wondered about the fact that a whole city is instantly built, while tile improvements, specially the fort, takes ages, quite literally, as 5 turns can encompass 500 years depending on the era you are.

They seem to have solved that problem (outposts take time and investment to become a full city,)

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to man's stupidity"
-Gen. George S. Patton

In modern warfare, I tend to agree with Patton's assessment. The sheer power of explosive charges that can be directed at a target mean walls can easily be breached, and safely by artillery, armor, and air. In a battlefield environment where speed is of the essence, a fixed fortification simply makes you an easier target.

This is a far cry from the fortifications of Vauban, brilliantly designed to offer cannons the ability to direct fire in nearly any direction and to effectively protect troops inside.

I understand that forts offer a compelling strategic gameplay mechanic and a way to securely hold key territory. I think Firaxis will include them for this reason, but as for realistically viable sci-fi, as soon as air power and satellites come into play, fixed fortifications fall into Patton's territory.

Well the fort could be made of nano tubes (or other sci-if material) or it could be protected by a force field (does force fields have any basis in science though?)

A strategic position can always be enhanced but I guess you and Patton is right that it could be transformed to a trap

Skickat från min GT-I9195 via Tapatalk

Top Bottom