1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

We Need Fantasy Mods For This Game

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by MarigoldRan, Jul 5, 2019.

1. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

Aaaaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhhh.

2. vladisimo

vladisimo Chieftain

No we don't.

ghost88 likes this.
  3. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

I would like a mythology-based Civ instead. That way you can mix history with fantasy. Egyptians, Greeks, Celts, Norse, Mayans, and Sumerians would be great civs to see.

4. racha

racha Chieftain

You mean like all the anime mods that infest the steam workshop? *shudder*

acluewithout likes this.
  5. TheCleanerDragon

TheCleanerDragon Chieftain

Like the Fall From Heaven mod for Civ IV or like Age of Mythology in Civ?

acluewithout likes this.
  6. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Why not just play Age of Wonders or Endless Legends or something?

AntSou and ghost88 like this.
  7. Jkchart

Jkchart Chieftain

If they can do it well, it would be a neat side-Civ game in the vein of how IV got the Col reboot and V got BE/RT.

8. AntSou

AntSou Chieftain

Endless Legends is such a great game. I really don't see the need for a fantasy mod when there's already a polished product out there. I'd much rather see good modders focusing on other stuff instead.

9. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Chieftain

I don't like this idea, for the same reason why you only listed the half dozen mythologies people would vaguely recognize, and that most of those are European and Mediterranean. It's not really showing off global diversity and history so much as sidestepping back into rote European exceptionalism.

If done tastefully, and by tastefully I mean each civ gets, say, ONE mythological unit to keep representation even across the roster, then it could work. But that's not really the idea anyone proposes so much as wanting their half dozen pantheons chock full of things they know things about, so for the most part I'm against the idea because of how limited casual resonance with folk stories actually is.

10. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

I don't think so. China (Sun Wukong), Egypt (Se-Osiris), Mesopotamia (Gilgamesh), Mesoamerica (Hunahpu and Xbalanque), Polynesia (Maui!)...you could bring in many different types of mythologies if desired. Almost every corner of the world has folklore and mythology, so there is much to draw upon. I think each civ should get multiple mythological units and each civ should have deeper choices than in a more populated Civ game, with a strong emphasis on long-term exploration (Civ ultimately runs out of land), and strategic choices (do I spend divine favor on hiring heroes, or on hurling natural disasters on my enemies?) Much potential here. Of course, there would be fewer civs than in a Civ game, but so long as diverse areas of the world are represented I think it could be excellent.

Casual resonance with folk stories is hardly limited. Our most popular TV shows and movies run on folklore and mythology.

11. Deliverator

Deliverator Graphical Hackificator

Well, we have A Civ of Fire and Ice complete with dragons already. Things are fairly well set up from a graphical standpoint for Terrain overhauls and new units, buildings, etc. The main limitations are on the gameplay side until the release of the DLL source code which will probably come at some point. If you want to add a complete Magic system with Mana etc like FFH2 had you'd almost certainly need DLL access.

12. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Warlord

In a mythological game I would definitely go the route of giving the Civs more unique units than unique infrastructure, maybe even scrapping a unique infrastructure entirely for some Civs like Civ 5 did. Of course with this, we could also finally get a PNW culture with totem poles, as that would definitely be the area of NA I would want at least in a game like this.

Morningcalm and Zaarin like this.