[We the People] Blackboard - Team and Supporter Communication

@team
I just merged the Swedish Unit Sounds into "Large Rivers" as requested. :thumbsup:

@Ramstormp
I just hope your are not saying nasty stuff, since I do not speak any Swedish. ;)
One of the Swedish Unit Sounds sounded like the Unit would say "F*** O** !" to me ...

@team
I just merged the Swedish Unit Sounds into "Large Rivers" as requested. :thumbsup:

@Ramstormp
I just hope your are not saying nasty stuff, since I do not speak any Swedish. ;)
One of the Swedish Unit Sounds sounded like the Unit would say "F*** O** !" to me ...
:smoke:Well, it's a direct transliteration of the English command "float out", which probably isn't necessarily something a Swedish commander would say, but I had a hard time coming up with something better. The captain and crew were often Dutch in the Swedish Colonial enterprise, as well as some of the settlers, so it wouldn't be completely out of place to throw in some of the Dutch.

Is there a way to control the echo and volume that the game adds to the sounds? Seems like all the command sounds are way louder than the selection sounds.

Is there a way to control the echo and volume that the game adds to the sounds?
Yes there is. :thumbsup:

Look into this folder:
...\Assets\XML\Audio

Check this XML:
Audio3DScripts.xml

You need to play a little with the XML tags though:
(I only experimented a bit with them years ago.)

I would try those for volume:
(Well volume should say it all.)
  • iMinVolume
  • iMaxVolume
Those for the echo:
(Pitching effects are known in music mixing.)
  • iPitchChangeDown
  • iPitchChangeUp
---- Do not use Looping Effects for Unit Sounds. It is useful for ambient sounds though.) ----
  • bLooping (since it starts with "b" it is a boolean of course)
---- Those you may try if you are an absolute perfectionist. ----

These here should be the speed the sound is accelerated / decelerated.
(It will probably sound strange if you use them but hey you may try.)
  • iMinVelocity
  • iMaxVelocity
The Distance stuff is only interesting if you e.g. Zoom with Mouse Wheel.
(I would only use it if you feel that sounds become extrem when zooming in.)
  • iMinDistanceForMaxVolume
  • iMaxDistanceForMaxVolume
--------

The rest of the tags I do not know. :dunno:

--------

Important Hint for all Modders:

There is a gigantic XML tag explanation for Civ4BTS out there
It should explain every XML tag in detail and since Civ4Col and Civ4BTS share many tags it can be used for us as well.
Simply go and search for a specific XML tag name and "Civ" in Google and you should find it. :thumbsup:

--------

Have fun modding.
:)

There is a gigantic XML tag explanation for Civ4BTS out there
It should explain every XML tag in detail and since Civ4Col and Civ4BTS share many tags it can be used for us as well.
This is not limited to xml. technically Civ4Colonization is civ4 meaning modding is way more similar than most people realize. Python interface, how to compile the dll.... well almost everything is the same.

I can start to name differences, but most are insignificant, like Colonization.exe can't be asked to display a nuke detonation animation.

This is not limited to xml. technically Civ4Colonization is civ4 meaning modding is way more similar than most people realize. Python interface, how to compile the dll.... well almost everything is the same.

I can start to name differences, but most are insignificant, like Colonization.exe can't be asked to display a nuke detonation animation.

Who in the nine hells of Baator had considered to add nuke detonations to a game of Colonization? :devil:

Who in the nine hells of Baator had considered to add nuke detonations to a game of Colonization? :devil:
How else do you want to fight back the aliens 300 turns after the "War of Indepence" in the "Final Battle of Indpendence Day" (the 2nd big endgame challenge)? :spank:

There is a reason why I wrote most differences are insignificant. I discovered it years ago when I investigated if BTS can be made to use colo mods and vice versa. The answer is no. The biggest difference is that Colonization supports drag-n-drop, like dragging around units and yields in the colony screen. BTS has no support for that.

My point still remain though. 99%+ of the knowledge needed to mod is the same for BTS and Colonization and Colonization modders can use BTS documentation.

Hi guys,

I will take a summer break from modding for several months from now. This has several reasons:

- I am currently very busy at work and have hardly any free time.
- Summer is coming and the time from May to September is for other activities than always sitting at the PC.
- There are so many other games and my interest in modding has decreased a lot at the moment, which means that when I sit at the PC, it's not to mod.

I'll be checking in regularly and will have my say here and there. Of course, I will also look for minor graphics bugs if necessary.

I don't expect any major modding activities for new features until the end of the summer.

As long as I play the current version 2.9, I will of course be happy to give feedback here.

Kind regards

Schmiddie

I will take a summer break from modding for several months from now.
Perfectly ok. :thumbsup:
We all understand.

This has several reasons:

- I am currently very busy at work and have hardly any free time.
- Summer is coming and the time from May to September is for other activities than always sitting at the PC.
- There are so many other games and my interest in modding has decreased a lot at the moment, which means that when I sit at the PC, it's not to mod.
We all understand. :)

I'll be checking in regularly and will have my say here and there. Of course, I will also look for minor graphics bugs if necessary.
Thanks. :thumbsup:

I don't expect any major modding activities for new features until the end of the summer.
Hm, actually I do ... :mischief:
(But I can do a lot with the graphics we already have.)

As long as I play the current version 2.9, I will of course be happy to give feedback here.
Have fun playing our mod. :)

this is normally the case for me as well, I am not sure how this summer is going to shape up, but it's quite possible there will be days between me turning on PC

@Schmiddie
Could you create a Button for me for "Remove Road"?
(Pioneer Action Button similar to "Build Road")

Attachments

• remove_road_high_res_image.jpg
    remove_road_high_res_image.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Isn´t "remove road" practically "build forest"?
Depends on the creativity and motivation of the Pioneer (the engineer) that does it ... :lol:
Maybe he will plant a few flowers afterwards and build a statue with the cobble he removed ... :dunno:

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but, as of today I have a total of 1,087 hrs on record for Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization. I'm pretty certain less than 100 hours were spent in vanilla with maybe another 50 hours or so spent in Colonization: 2071 and another mod I can't find or remember the name to (Medieval Conquest?). Point being, the team here has provided me with an insane level of entertainment and value through We The People and I'd like to return the favor.

I don't really have any technical skills. I've tried modding this game previously via a motivational PM from Nightinggale a long time ago but was unable to find the base files to do so myself and, subsequently, gave up. I do, however, have expendable income I could donate to the team. I've done some searching around and was unable to find a patreon or something similar. I'd be more than willing to make donation directly, I just need a paypal link or the like.

I'd also be willing to learn how to mod, like Nightinggale suggested previously. They put a big emphasis on "learning by doing" similar to the core game function. Problem is, I wouldn't know where to start and I'm kind of stupid. I've always been more of the philosphy of throwing money at my problems (bad philosphy, I know). As I previously stated, I'd love to return the favor and keep this mod alive and well to the best of my ability. I'm great at data entry if that means anything. Let me know how I can be most useful.

Thanks,
Josh

I do, however, have expendable income I could donate to the team. I've done some searching around and was unable to find a patreon or something similar. I'd be more than willing to make donation directly, I just need a paypal link or the like.
We are running the mod as strictly non-profit and isn't receiving donations. It's not like we have expenses, which needs to be covered. If given money, the only expense I can think of for the mod, which would make sense would be to use it to get Firaxis to remove some exe limitations. I'm not sure how realistic that goal is, but hey a guy can dream.

Point being, the team here has provided me with an insane level of entertainment and value through We The People and I'd like to return the favor.
Thanks a lot for this nice compliment. :)
We always like to hear that our community enjoys playing our work.
And of course we really appreciate in people from community want to support.

I do, however, have expendable income I could donate to the team.
Thanks for offering in good intention but when it comes to modding taking money is really a bad idea. :nope:
It has always been one of the core principals of our mod team that we do not accept money.
If we did something like that no real modder would ever talk to us again ...
Modding is passion, not greed.

I'd also be willing to learn how to mod, like Nightinggale suggested previously. They put a big emphasis on "learning by doing" similar to the core game function.
Sure, when new modders are serious about becoming modders themselves we are always happy to help and teach. :)
We just need to see where we could use your skills and what you could do to start learning.

If given money, the only expense I can think of for the mod, which would make sense would be to use it to get Firaxis to remove some exe limitations. I'm not sure how realistic that goal is, but hey a guy can dream.
We should never accept money directly ourselves, even if we then forward it to Firaxis to get access to "Civ7 dev tools and sources" to build "We the People Next Generation".
The moment we had comunity money in our own hands, it would leave a stink on us that we mod for greed and not for passion ...

If money should ever get transferred to Firaxis in favour of WTP to be able to get access to newest tools or development sources, that can only happen on direct initiative of the community.
Similar to the way it e.g. happened with XCOM Long War mod.

Well we still dream ... :mischief:
Maybe one day big business will notice our mod ...

We should never accept money directly ourselves, even if we then forward it to Firaxis to get access to "Civ7 dev tools and sources" to build "We the People Next Generation".
I was actually thinking of an update for Civ4Col, which moves files from the exe to the DLL, just like BTS 3.19. Adding the diplomacy talk screen and popup window would be nice too. In other words not to make them develop new tools, but just give us access to existing stuff.

Top Bottom