[We the People] Bug reporting

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - We The People' started by Nightinggale, Sep 24, 2018.

1. FlaviusBelisarius

FlaviusBelisarius Chieftain

Is this issue present in 3.0.1 or development branch? If 3.0.1, please check if the development dll I attached a bit earlier fixes the issue.

2. Sertica

Sertica Chieftain

Are settlements adjacent to lakes supposed to be able to build piers? I'm finding it blocked despite the requirement lake terrain being in xml.
    I sometimes can't build more than one native trade post. I don't know whether there is a hidden rule about that.

3. raystuttgart

raystuttgart Civ4Col Modder Supporter

Yes, there is a requriement in current release which depends on "Lake Size". (Number of Water Plots)

In the next release that rule will change however because we will officially introduce the new "Terrain Lakes" and I have heavily rewritten that rule in my development branch.
    (You will see once the new release will be published.)

Summary:
    That is not a bug.
    The current logic simply considers the "size fo the lake".
    The logic in upcoming release will be totally different though.

4. raystuttgart

Show me a screenshot and I may be able to answer to that.
    With that little information I simply can not.

Of course there is game logic that defines when you can build something and when you can simply not.
    But without a screenshot or more detailed information I can not answer what is exactly your problem.

5. mastrude

mastrude Paraclete of Kaborka

Appears to be a small bug in the rancher mechanic. I have two pastures. I'm trying to raise horses on one and cows on the other. I have two ranchers. One's a cowboy. When I tell the other to become a rancher, the other becomes a rancher too. An obvious workaround is to have the pastures in two different settlements. I'll see if that works.

Attached Files:

6. mastrude

Well, maybe that DOESN'T work. See Github issue #504.

7. mastrude

Attached Files:

8. jooe

jooe Chieftain

As I have written on github, the issue #504 seems WAD:

9. raystuttgart

@mastrude

Explanation why nobody answered your posts:

Spoiler :

Hardly any modder will take the effort to "check a savegame" if he is very convinced that you simply do not understand the gameplay rules.
    We are busy as well and also do not want to waste our times checking savegames instead of answering a simple question you could have posted with a screenshot.
    • Screenshot: Question answered in about 10 seconds
    • Savegame: Savegame checked in about 15 minutes
    (I do not even have the version you play installed anymore.
    My version is several months of developent more advanced.)

I would have bet all my money that this is not a bug but you as a new players simply not understanding the specific game rules of a feature.
    If you do not post screenshots or take more time to properly explain the situation, you may thus most likely also not get an answer. :dunno:

Post Screenshots and you may get your question answer or your problem solved. :thumbsup:
    Once we are really convinced that what you describe is really a bug, then we may request a savegame.

--------

EDIT:
    I just checked your issue in GITHub and yes as I expected you simply do not understand how "LiveStockBreeding" works.

(enough) Cattle (or Horses) stored in the City --> Cattle (or Horse) Breeding is possible ---> but only on falt land.
    (enough) Sheep stored in the City --> Sheep Breeding is possible ---> but only on hills.

Solution this case:
    You forgot the hills condition for Shepherd (breeding Sheep).
    (Otherwise there is a FLATLAND condition for Cattle and Horses.)

Additional tipps:

Check
    the Yields displayed on the Map.
    (No yield displayed means you can not produce it.)

Read Colopedia. (In this case for "Horses", "Cattle" and "Sheep".)
    It usually explains all that stuff nicely.

--------

Summary:

It is not a bug. :)
    The feature was working as designed.

Next time simply post screenshots.
    It really is much more efficient than just texts.

--------

If you still have questions how "Lifestock Breeding" works, please post here. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  10. raystuttgart

@Nightinggale compiled a new DLL with recent bugfixes from "develop".
    ("develop" is the bugfix and improvement branch)

So in case you stumble across a CTD, please follow this procedure:

1. extract the archive (CvGameCoreDLL.rar) ,
    2. copy the .dll file inside (CvGameCoreDLL.dll)
    3. paste it into the /Assets folder of the mod (replacing the existing .dll)
    4. start the mod and check if the CTD is fixed

Otherwise please have some patience until we finished and publish the next release. :thumbsup:

Otherwise if you are afraid to run into a bug (in Release 3.0.1), you can also use this .dll as "bug prevention".
    It is save to use and can not break anything in the current public version of the mod. (Of course also savegame compatible.)

This .dll does however not bring new features. (compared to public Release 3.0.1)
    It is also only compatible with public Release 3.0.1. (Lates official release)
    Thus do not use it if you have any other release installed. (It would break it.)

EDIT:

When using the DLL above you also need to do the following.
    (Othewise some Mouse-Over texts are missing a text entry.)

Copy the following entry in the file Civ4GameText_WTP_utf8.xml
    (Simply put it at the end after the last </TEXT> tag.)

Code:
        <TEXT>
            <Tag>TXT_KEY_CITIZEN_HELP_PROFESSION_NAME_DISPLAY</Tag>
            <English>[COLOR_UNIT_TEXT]%s1_Profession_Name[COLOR_REVERT]</English>
            <German>[COLOR_UNIT_TEXT]%s1_Profession_Name[COLOR_REVERT]</German>
        </TEXT>

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  11. nci

nci Warlord

There is a problem with Continental Guard unit - when trying to select units in nearby tiles, Continental Guard gets selected instead.

CptBadger likes this.
  12. Mr. ZorG

Mr. ZorG Prince

see which unit is highlighted when the wrong unit selection occurs.

13. CptBadger

CptBadger Warlord

I've experienced it. Appears like the unit perimeter exceeds one tile, and gotta move camera around til I can get around it. Its just a mild annoyance to me, but it happens. I've noticed a similar though lesser effect from larger ships, have to click on far side of adjacent unit to avoid selecting ships

nci and Mr. ZorG like this.
  14. nci

nci Warlord

I already nuked that savefile tbh, but generally clicking on Pioneers in adjacent tiles always got me the Continental Guard.
    For me, it is game-breaking, to the point that I didn't purchase Continental Guard since 2.7.x - and was disappointed to see this bug still present.

15. raystuttgart

It would need a graphical modder to check it and fix it if that bug exists.
    I myself have never experienced this bug you guys are talking about.

I play on the default resolution this game was developed for in 2008: 1280 x 720
    (It is potentially related to the resolution you chose - especially wide screen resolutions often cause problems..)

Summary:
    To check this issue, we need an experieced graphical modder, which we do not have.
    Such issues usually happen with wide screen resolution which the game simply was never developed for.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  16. nci

nci Warlord

I play at 1920x1050 borderless windowed (30 pixels left for taskbar). Played Civ4Col, and Civ4BTS before that, for years in this and similar resolutions; never experienced bugs like this with other units. Will check if it occurs at 1280x720.

17. FlaviusBelisarius

I can confirm this. Super annoying. I play in rather high resolution 2240*1400 (16:10 aspect ratio). The selection radius for Continental Guard can be several plots away from the unit. Makes me dislike the unit.

Mr. ZorG and nci like this.
  18. Raubwuerger

Raubwuerger Chieftain

That it works for you with 1280x720 without problems is strange. I play on two different monitors. One has a 4k resolution (3840x2160), which is the same ratio (16:9) as 1280x720. In fact ,I can't play Colonization on this monitor.
    The minimap does not work. (I can click on it but nothing happens). And units can only be selected occasionally. I always play with half the resolution.

On the other monitor (3440x1440) everything works fine. So the problem can't be the aspect ratio.

19. raystuttgart

I have not said it is the "ratio" of the screen / monitor or anything like that.
    It is the resolution you select - in terms of number of pixel - to play with ingame. (Game Options.)

Once you play with higher resolution than 1280 x 720 (more pixel) you are likely to have morw problems.
    Go to Game Options (Graphics) and select that resolution and check if you still have that issues or not.

See, the higher the resolution you select, the worse such problems get.
    Wide screen resolutions are just additionally problematic because of screen layout.

Exactly. :thumbsup:
    Less pixel, less problems.

Play on resolutions that were "normal for 2008" and everything should be good.
    This game was simply not developed in 2018 or even 2021.

-------

And as I said, I can not solve this myself. We would need a graphical modder skilled enough and with enough time and motivation.
    Until then, we simply have to accept to play on resolutions that are "low in 2021" but were "normal in 2008".

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  20. FlaviusBelisarius

Does "everything" working fine include the continental guard unit?

So far we know:
    • Low-end 720p HD resolution is fine (even continental guard [CG] selection)
    • (what happens here: where does CG break?)
    • 2240*1400 is fine except for CG.
    • 3440x1440 is fine (CG unconfirmed)
    • 3840x2160 breaks: minimap and unit selection more generally fail to function.
    Please continue reporting your experiences so we can narrow the resolution issues down. I never even thought that reverting to 720p would fix CG.