We want decent wonder movies

Wonder movies need to be wonderful. Eye catching, breath taking, meaningful, not just an animated building being taken from the plans to completion, when they work. Every Wonder Movie is the same, boring.

SMAC had thought provoking movies, were a joy to watch many times. Alas the actual design decision were not made by SID, but by Bryan Reynolds, and the difference is obvious.

Firaxis compromised on too much of Civ IV, put wonder movies back in, but make them generic, and all the same, Boring...an attempt to please the core group with out devoting resources to it. 3D graphics with isometric zoom, rally points to whoo the RTS crowd, yet they also missed on this.

I totally enjoy playing Civ IV, much better than III, but I am disappointed in the lack of polish, the RTS sytle interface, the spreadsheet advisors, that give statistics that you have to decifer, with many important bits of information missing, and the wonder movies, and the lack of the promised palace room.

In my opinion, civ 3 splashes were eye catching and meaningful. I always felt a sense of acomplishment wen I finished a wonder and saw those small snippits.

I think the wonder movies are fine as is: nice but not over the top. A kind of compromise.

SMAC secret project movies really gave you the feeling of another planet, another world, which was necessary in my book for that "extra-terrestrial" experience.

What I WOULD like to see are movies or animations about the historical events in a game: conquering a civ, changing era, diplomatic win, etc.

I am disappointed with the ci4 wonder movies. They are entirely generic. there isn't really any difference between any of the wonder movies. Obviously in civ2 you got to know all the wonder movies eventually, but you could just skip them whenever you wanted, so I don't understand the argument about it being a waste of time. I rather liked all the gimmicks in civ2 like the wonder movies, the high council and the throne room. Most of the time I just ignored them and they didnt interfere with gameplay whatsoever, but I appreciated being able to watch them when I wanted to.

They are a bit of a disappointment but i'd just prefer them to make the game faster than wonder movies. Civ 2 and SMAC were brilliant but other things require more imediate attention from the program makers.

I like the Civ4 movies, although the Civ2 movies gave a better feeling.
But at the moment I can't watch the Civ4 movies - it doesn't work almost :(

We must dissent.

Best. Wonder. Movie. Ever.

And yes, i am one of those 99,99% :confused: who want better movies. Civ4 movies were the biggest disappointment of the whole game (not that there were many disappointments within Civ4, that is).

If they worked, I think they're OK. They have this consistency from scetch to finished and good graphics. Why is the wonder movies so important? A splash was almost enough in III

Sorry, but i just can't care about in-game movies. They might be repetive, but they're just an addition. Map graphics could be something i care about, so do units, but movies happen rarely.
I want better AI, better modability, maybe other stuff, but hardly graphics.

I watched one wonder movie when I first got the game then went in the options to turn them off, then when I couldn't find that in the options I came to this forum to Find out how too. Then I proceed to play my game. One word for wonder movies------->Annoying!!!

Bottom line I could care less about wonder movies, I hope they leave them out in Civ5 and spend the money on more important things!!!!!

I like them and I've seen the project videos from SMAC. Although I appreciate them more because I never got to see them until 1.02 came out.

There are cleary people who agree with him, myself included.

The SMAC videos were amazing, I loved hearing Zakharov's voice go all crazy when you passed over the event horizon in one of those videos.

"What actually transpires beneath the viel of an event horizon? Normal people shouldn't think too much about that."

That was probably the best wonder video the whole series of games has produced. And if we can't have that due to budget constraints, it would have been nicer to have the splashes from Civ III

Bast said:
What do you mean full motion video? I like Civ II videos but Civ IV movies are just as good. What we need is more wonders.
Agreed that we need more wonders and more variety but I really hoped they'd return to the Civ2 or SMAC type of wonders movies. Much better.

I think an option for a splash would be a great idea. Maybe the conceptual art scanned in and an option to enable that instead of the wonder movies? For those who have slower machines and those who like the simple-r notification.

Yes, I agree that the SMAC movies are the "gold standard" for this type of game. Having said that, I like the Civ IV wonder movies. They are charming to watch, and not too long. I still enjoy them.

I do think it's weird that the wonder movies are Bink files and the religion "movie" is done with the in-game engine. Does anybody else find it odd?

Top Bottom