We Want Terraforming Back! Yes or No

Do You Want Terraforming Included in a Future Patch?

• Heck Yes, I Miss It!

Votes: 39 45.9%
  • Yes, Sounds Like Fun

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • I dont Care Either Way

Votes: 10 11.8%
  • No, Civ3 is Fine Without It

Votes: 12 14.1%
  • No, It Would Throw Off Game Balance

• Heck No, I Hated Terraforming!

• Total voters

friedmad

Civaholic
one of my favorite features of Civ2 was the engineer's ability to flatten a mountain into plains :goodjob:

it was removed from civ3 :cry:

I want it back! lol

Not sure how I should vote. Iliked being able to restore terrain that changed due to global warming, but making mountain into plains is pretty silly :crazyeye:

well, its all part of the game. who knows what we as a civilzation will be capable of in the future? its why there's Future Techs in the game

everytime i think if terraforming i think of little men jumping up and down on hills to make them flat :)

not having terraforming makes you think twice before nuking the rest of the world to pieces. In civ2, global warming was pointless because you could terraform the terrain back in a few turns. Also it forces you to choose good city spots. Wouldnt civ3 be a bit boring if every tile eventually ended up being grassland?

Originally posted by Jandor
everytime i think if terraforming i think of little men jumping up and down on hills to make them flat :)

That would be the animation:p

Or a little guy with TNT and a plunger and then "KA-POW" - dust for a turn, and then the worker would have to spend a few turns clearing the rubble, and then grasslands.

I am not aware of any real world terraforming that has ever
been done. Irrigation of deserts ,Hydro dams,mountain
aquaducts, drainage of swamps are not terraforming.

No one has ever flattened mountains, much less a range of hills

However I think mountain aquaducts should be builtage to
bring water over/from mountains to bring irrigation the other
side. (the Romans did it)

Mountains should not be the barrier they are to water in
the game.

Originally posted by louiethelesbo
I LOVE TERRAFORMING....IT PROTECTS THE ENVIRONMENT AND MAXIMIZES RESOURCES.

PS: CANADIANS ARE WORTHLESS....OTHERWISE THEY WOULD OWN THEIR OWN PROFESSIONAL SPORTS TEAMS AND SUPPORT THEM

IF THE USA STOPPED...WHO WOULD PROTECT CANDADA?..BETTER YET..WHO WOULD WANT IT?

Why? We can get you to pay for them and watch them play for
free. Americans are the only ones who can afford to import such
high talent players.

How can USA protect Candada?, you would have to start by learning to read & write & SPELL. Then you could read a map and figure out where CANADA is. The may lead to the advance of
GEOGRAPHY, can you say GEOGRAPHY? Good!! With GEOGRAPHY
you would see the vast mineral wealth of Canada.

the inspiration for me starting this thread was because in Civ2 you could irrigate hills, whereas in Civ3 you cannot. in my current game i stared off on a thing island 4 squares at its widest point and about 40 long. theres only one river on the island and its way at the end of the island. and, lo and behold, a line of mountains 3 squares away, completely blocking any irrigation to the rest of the island. if i could blast those mountains to hills and be able to irrigate them, then i wouldnt have to for electricity before being able to irrigate the rest of my cities, all of which are stymied and 4 5 pop cause of lack of food....

time to start over i gues lol:rolleyes:

In that case you CAN change whether a terrain type is irragatable or not. Just set the food in the terrain type tab to 1 or something.

Originally posted by louiethelesbo
I LOVE TERRAFORMING....IT PROTECTS THE ENVIRONMENT AND MAXIMIZES RESOURCES.

PS: CANADIANS ARE WORTHLESS....OTHERWISE THEY WOULD OWN THEIR OWN PROFESSIONAL SPORTS TEAMS AND SUPPORT THEM

IF THE USA STOPPED...WHO WOULD PROTECT CANDADA?..BETTER YET..WHO WOULD WANT IT?

This is WAY off topic, and I apologize:

I won't dignify such anti-Canadianism with any response other than to say I consider myself absolutely blessed to live here.

P.S. Stop stealing our hockey franchises! (except Calgary. You can have the Flames :) )

Originally posted by Ozz
been done. Irrigation of deserts ,Hydro dams,mountain
aquaducts, drainage of swamps are not terraforming.

No one has ever flattened mountains, much less a range of hills

As an anecdote... some years back I met an officer at a party, who told me a story about how a mountain was bomded so damn hard they had to rewrite the map afterwards. Now I don't remember the exact details but I'm quite sure that the "bombers" were the US Army or Marine... that's terraforming for ya'all! <grin>

Originally posted by Ozz
been done

Try telling the Dutch. They've been reclaiming land from the sea for donkey's years

A thought: - how about that for another civ: the Dutch and the UU being Land Reclaimers (a peaceful UU...!! :) )

Thanks for the examples, I was thinking of large scale terraforming, 1 civ hex= ?? sq miles (or KM). however the dutch
do qualify. Thanks Tweedledum

<nitpicky> The poll is a little biased as it has two 'yes' answers and three 'no' answers. If you add up the 'yes' versus the 'no' it's neck and neck (17 vs 15 to the no's as I write this.) </nitpicky>

If you only want terraforming for irrigating through hilly terrain - go to the editor and change hills to have irrigation (simply set food with irrigation to 2) as I did.

Rather realistic, since irrigation on terrassed hills is one of the most effective methods of food production in many parts of the world.

I believe the Suez- and Panama Canals both qualify as terraforming in a Civ3 sense. Although they have not shifted huge amounts of earth, they have a very significant impact on the movement of units through continents instead of around them.

I could add the Aral Sea in central Asia as another significant act of real-life terraforming (or in that case, more like terror-forming). What was once a stable inland sea with verdant pasture surrounding it, is fast becoming a dust-blown desert and salt pan because intensive upstream cotton farming diverts most of the water flowing into it.

There are now several huge open-cut mines in various parts of the world, the volumes of which compare to mountains.

Doubling the CO2 content of the atmosphere over the space of just 100 years is also terraforming. The effect on global average temperature may take a while to become fully obvious, but if the predicted outcomes are realized, we can expect to see great changes in coastlines, deserts and polar ice coverage.

Let's not also forget that it wasn't too long ago that some people were advocating the "peaceful" use of nuclear explosives to create harbours, level mountains etc. So, it's not that mankind lacks the capability to do this stuff, they just decided not to (for now).

My 2 cents..

I don´t want terraforming back simply because the AI is not capable of handling it. The designers would have two choices, either forbid the AI to use it or watch it destroy itself when messing up the entire world. Both alternatives would unbalance the game an awful lot and make it much less fun to play. So I say keep it out!

Top Bottom