We were promised the Dan Quayle list

Master of Ceremonies

Truth detector
This is taken DIRECTLY from the "ask the team" section on the official CivIII website.

You say Potatoe

Q. Are you going to bring back the "Dan Quayle Chart" for when you retire or win the game? One of the things I loved about the original Civilization was trying to go higher and higher on the chart so I could be better than the great world leaders. It took me forever but one time I finally beat Solomon the Wise. Somehow the ending for Civilization 2 just was not as satisfying. Is more fun to beat Tokugawa or Charlemagne than simply go up a list of adjectives like "X the Foolish."

Thank you for making such a great game series!!!

Darryl B.

A. Darryl,

We are definitely planning on bringing back the "Dan Quayle" screen. It should function about the same way it did in the original Civilization.

Now I ask you, what did we get? We got a warrior trying to ring the bell listing your status in terms of "X the foolish"!!!!

How did Firaxis miss this? I couldn't believe this wasn't corrected in the patch. It's outrageous!! I'm also surprised that I haven't seen more of an outcry on this glaring error.

Firaxis, please fix this in a new patch.

I hardly think this is an important aspect of the game. Sure its entertaining, but not really worth getting upset about.

Oh, you haven't been here long have you? Everything about this game seems to be worth getting upset about. I complain very little about the game because I think it's fantastic. However, this is a glaring error.

Important, no. Embarrassing, yes.

Originally posted by Master of Ceremonies
Oh, you haven't been here long have you? Everything about this game seems to be worth getting upset about. I complain very little about the game because I think it's fantastic. However, this is a glaring error.

Important, no. Embarrassing, yes.

I am sorry you feel that way, because I really doubt Firaxis is going to reinstate this. It doesn't effect gameplay at all, so I doubt they would waste their time. Why don't you make one up of your own? You are the only one who will ever see it anyway.

Some people here get upset repeatedly about facets of the game that are not exactly like they wanted them to be, but the majority of us like to discuss strategy and game mechanics, without become emotional.

Originally posted by eyrei
...the majority of us like to discuss strategy and game mechanics, without become emotional.
It just seems that we get drowned out a lot by the vocal minority.

Anyway, in regards to the Dan Quayle scale - I have to agree with Eyrei. I doubt this will make it back into the game. It was most likely intended to be included, as noted in the quote, but dropped during a design review. It's one of those neat extras that just can't hold up against critical functions during choosing time.

the entire after-game stuff IMO just sucks! Whether you win or loose, it sucks! (one exception: the after action replay). The nag screen with the colors showing Firaxis game developers favourite pastime ("What the hell were they smoking that day???"), the stupid comments from other leaders (I never wait to read them all, especially when I win) and the moron bell ringer.....

that off my chest, I`d also like the Dan Quayle thing back. Good to beat Quayle on your first try, hehe!

Yeah agree,though I do like the look of them bruised up.What annoys me is that they,like in the Foreign Adviser only have seven Civs,not 16 grrr :mad:
As for endgame sequences,mostly appreciate the charts,when which city was built,power shifts,but all of this is unnecessary, one can do it ingame.
Found troops marching into the captured city much more rewarding than a Dan Quayle chart.Would prefer having that back.Also fluffy Russians in fur coats,behind Stalin,remember?
Those guys were cute."Grrr"

:mad: :mad: :D :mad: :mad:

I also miss the soviet outfit of the councellors when you switched to communism back in CIV1. That truly rocked.

loki

The thing I really miss is just the entire High Council. Sure, their advice was totally pointless just like your current advisors, but THEY were very entertaining!

Some of my favorites:
Military Advisor has blank screen. Click asking for his advice, he strolls/staggers into view singing and waving a goblet of wine around. "No complaints, Sire!" And staggers off, singing.

"Give me more soldiers, noble leader, that they may sheathe their swords in the beating hearts of our ENEMIES!" "Excellency, there are matters other than this blunted spearpoint to attend to!"

"Our men need better weapons, Lord! Let us put the scrollheads to work on this noble pursuit." "That is for His Excellency to decide! (mutters) Visigoth..."

"All is well, Glorious Leader! The people live happily... in your kingdom."

Top Bottom