Wealth

MidnightRambler

The Streetwalkin Cheetah
When and where do you usually have your cities produce wealth? :confused:

When there are 9 turns for my city to grow, and I could produce a settler in 8 :) (just an example) I never build it on occasions other than this, and hardly ever do even when the occasion arises :)

Lazy 'Milkers' sometimes just switch to wealth...

Next to never, there's always something better you can build. Only very late in the game when it's already decided & I'm just cleaning up or need a bit more cash for deals.

I usually switch some cities to Wealth if I'm in the final stages of a Space Race, doing max research and I've already got enough troops to defend myself if attacked. Otherwise, just about never.

I used Wealth once when I desperately the money to stay at 1000 gold and maintain 100% research. I have to admit that I once was left with nothing better to build in the AA, not even a temple, and my unit costs were on the brink.

I use wealth occasionally for short periods when I am short of cash, the main situation being to pay for gpt deals after coming off a golden age when I may be overcommitted for a few turns

Never, ever, ever.
It is more economical to produce units from one city, and disband them in another city to help with Improvement production.
If I ever got to the point where all the improvements had been built in all my cities, I might think about switching to wealth, but I would probably just start massing Armies and aircraft to start conquering nations and then use the remaining units to rush production in the newly conquered cities, returning unit production to the resource runs for City Improvements in those same newly conquered cities.

Very rarely and when I do its when I have a large civ with a city thats got nothing else to do.

Rarely. Occasionally not to waste turns waiting for pop growth when building a settler. Sometimes to finance and desperate tech burst to beat an AI to UN or SS. Sometimes in outlaying corrupt cities where there's nothing sensible to build.

Occasionally I will use it when I have a city or two that has built all useful improvements and I don't need new troops for awhile.

I'm suprised no one mentioned this reason to build wealth. When you capture far away cities that have corruption so bad that they only produce one shield.

rschissler said:
I'm suprised no one mentioned this reason to build wealth. When you capture far away cities that have corruption so bad that they only produce one shield.
They can produce workers.

In my current game, I switched alot of cities to wealth, for three reasons:

1. I had just ended my Golden Age. I spent my entire Golden Age stockpiling Cossacks - to the point where I was spending 50 gpt on military costs as a Monarchy. When the Golden Age ended, I went from making 80 gpt to losing 80 gpt. I needed wealth, bad, and a war. So I set my cities to wealth, and took over the Dutch. After I finished them I just barely had gained enough cities and lost enough Cossacks to not need to spend any gpt on military upkeep. (I went from 70 Cossacks to 50, and gained about eight cities.)

2. The reason why I was making so much during my Golden Age as opposed to adding it to research was twofold. First, I already had a significant tech lead and was still making good time - I could research new techs entering the Industrial Age in eight turns. Second, I was going straight for Replaceable Parts, forgoing everything else, so I could skip from Musketmen to Infantry and from Cannons to Artillery. I knew I would need alot of money to upgrade them all, even with Leo's, so I started stockpiling all the money I could find. Even after I got Replaceable Parts, I still needed extra money to finish the Cannon to Artillery transfer, so I kept trying to make money.

3. Most of my cities were done building improvements, and as you already knew, I definitely did not need any more military. The only improvements my cities could still use was Colosseums - I never build those - and Cathedrals. (Only in the small cities - the large ones had Cathedrals, since I had the Sistine.)

So, I turned my cities to wealth to turn the deficit into a surplus until I could finish the Cannon to Artillery transfer and until I researched Industrialization so I could start building Factories.

Although you will never see the experts say to use wealth :confused: , I do
sometimes use it if I am in a financial bind or late in the game when I am
just "cleaning up" the other civs ;) . Sometimes there is nothing really to
build and I do not want more units to keep up with :mischief: .

Top Bottom