Weapon trading.

Greywulf

King
Throughout earth's history, weapon trading has always been significant, and has altered things on a grand scale.

Here's what I have in mind for the game: If a player researched Gunpowder, this allows him to build the Musketman unit, and has a stock of Niter resources. That player is in contact with a civ that is far behind in their research, and it will take them a long time to reach Gunpowder themselves, and they are in a vulnerable state. The player with Gunpowder should be able to, just like in actual history, trade these powerful weapons to those without ~ a true reflection of trade between Europeans and Indigenous peoples around the globe (one notable example would be the "Musket Wars" in New Zealand).
How this would work would be that the player could trade a Musketman unit to the other player, which would perhaps spend one of their Niter resources (could be on a time limit, like 30 turns). This could also be the case for other units, like Bombard, etc...
The player receiving the weapons would not be able to build their own until they researched the technology themselves, however using these new units could give them boosts for researching it themselves later.
This could carry on through the ages of the game with quite a few different units.

This would help players who have fallen behind to remain independent, and to be able to defend themselves against more powerful forces. It would also allow them to gain the upper hand over civs who are also behind in tech, and just like in real history, they could war against the others with a significant new advantage.

What are your thoughts on this? And do you have additional ideas for this? Personally I feel it would add realism to the game, but also provide means for those falling behind in technology.

That would be great say if you gave an ally Iron they could temporarily upgrade to Swordsman etc. This could also allow a new tier of resources turned into manufacturing and so on.

That would be great say if you gave an ally Iron they could temporarily upgrade to Swordsman etc. This could also allow a new tier of resources turned into manufacturing and so on.

Maybe not the resource itself, but the technology, just like in actual history. The Maori warriors couldn't make their own muskets, but the English trading to them muskets was huge for them, and they became experts at using muskets in a short while.

Gifting, buying or trading for units from other civs. Imagine how much they'd give you to get back the spy you captured.

Gifting, buying or trading for units from other civs. Imagine how much they'd give you to get back the spy you captured.
Reminds me of the movie Bridge of Spies. Great film, and based on actual history. I think that would add another layer of depth to the game, and make the player feel like they have more options.

The same can be done with horses as well.

Various indigenous peoples of the Americas mastered horseback riding within a decade of first being introduced to the horse.

This can be modded by creating a variety of units that have no tech prerequisites and are available from game start. These units would require a weapon resource that can only be produced by later era buildings. I have actually toyed with this idea for a while. I actually created a Civ 5 mod that has weapons trade and have considered it for Civ6.

This can be modded by creating a variety of units that have no tech prerequisites and are available from game start. These units would require a weapon resource that can only be produced by later era buildings. I have actually toyed with this idea for a while. I actually created a Civ 5 mod that has weapons trade and have considered it for Civ6.
That's cool. If you end up making a weapon trading mod for Civ VI, please share it with us here. With a mod we could test it out and see how it plays in the game.

Top Bottom