Weddings, suits, shoes, dresses, but mostly suits

@The_J Of course you can; it might look strange though. A lot depends upon who you will be seeing or what you will be doing. If your day will be sitting at a conference table all day, most folks won't notice. If you are up on a stage, it will be more obvious. When I had to wear suits, decades ago, I always choose blue or grey so I could war brown shoes. I have never owned black shoes. Don't like them.

Can you get away with not wearing a suit?

I got a schedule with when what is happening at the wedding.
So... this seems to be a bigger thing. I assumed a suite would be appropriate, but I really don't know. Could I get away without wearing one?
Of course, Even at the Oscars, dress is optional. Nice slacks, collared shirt (with a tie in your pocket if needed, and jacket should be fine. How fancy is the wedding? Are you in the wedding party?

Can I wear brown shoes with a black suite?

(I really don't want to go shoe shopping...)
I would say it depends on the exact shade of black and brown. If it is closer to a grey and a dark brown, you'll probably be fine. Especially if you are just in the crowd and not in the wedding party.

And also you could accessorise a bit.

Rather light brown, I'm afraid :/.
I have no special role there, just a simple guest.
I have no idea how formal it will be, but right now it feels formal. I can ask what the dress code is :think:.
Yeah, I would ask for dress code, because light brown shoes with a black/carbon grey suit doesn't really work.
Though if you do show up with light brown shoes it isn't the end of the world.

It's time for people to accept T-shirts as formal wear once and for all.

I would very strongly recommend you get a new suit and shoes. Brown shoes with a black suit will look absolutely awful. I also would recommend against wearing anything less formal, you'll look like you don't care.

I would very strongly recommend you get a new suit and shoes. Brown shoes with a black suit will look absolutely awful. I also would recommend against wearing anything less formal, you'll look like you don't care.
Could he get away with it if the shoes and belt match in color?

Honestly, brown is not a good color for formal shoes for guys. Look at any photo of Justin Trudeau, when he's wearing brown shoes. I have no idea why he insists on doing that, because it looks ridiculous (whether or not his socks are visible; he likes Star Wars-themed socks).

weddings are a great time to buy something new. You don't want to wear something you've already worn somewhere else, right?
I think it should be morally unacceptable to buy clothes just so you have something new, and it should be acceptable to turn up to work with clothes that are patched and otherwise worn out (I tried to make this change at my last job). The production of cotton and wool is having a massive effect on environmental degradation, and making our clothes last longer is the easiest way to reduce our impact.

I think it should be morally unacceptable to buy clothes just so you have something new, and it should be acceptable to turn up to work with clothes that are patched and otherwise worn out (I try and make this change at my last job). The production of cotton and wool is having a massive effect on environmental degradation, and making our clothes last longer is the easiest way to reduce our impact.
LMAO well I'm definitely not subscribing to your religion :rotfl:

@The_J: weddings are a great time to buy something new. You don't want to wear something you've already worn somewhere else, right?

I've come across this sentinent multiple times before and it's still beyond my comprehension. Hopefully stays that way, too.

weddings are a great time to buy something new. You don't want to wear something you've already worn somewhere else, right?

Unless you go to weddings so rarely that you've worn out all your clothes since the last one, buying new clothes to attend a wedding is very strange. I didn't even buy new clothes for my own wedding (though it was a civil union when it happened and it didn't turn into a wedding until the laws changed 2.5 years later).

Well, if I buy a new suit, I'll not be able to pay for the flight anymore :lol:.
Okay, it's not that bad, but definitely not something which I'd buy on a whim.
Also what Samson said, the environmental impact is bad, and both my suits are basically as good as new. I'd only have one actually if I had not gained too much weight in between :blush:. And fashion-wise there's absolutely no point either, a black suit is a black suit.

That said, I'll need to invest the money into shoes instead, since my friend confirmed that this is definitely an occasion to suit up.

Top Bottom