Wednesday

Is Wednesday a weird word that scares you?

• Yes!

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • No!

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • You are weird and scare me!

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • I don't post in lowly topics like this, I'm just attracted to the poll...

Votes: 6 16.2%

• Total voters

DaEezT

Civ, Pizza, Spam, Repeat
So, this is the one thing that keps on bugging me about the english language: Wednesday
I already asked a friend of mine from Scotland on IRC about it (just to make sure I didn't learn something totally wrong at school) but it's written Wednesday and spoken Wend(e)sday!
Why do you turn the "nd" around? I know there are several words where you just skip a letter when speaking them, thats fine with me, but turning two letters around and then pronouncing them both is kinda weird IMHO :crazyeye:

I use the name "Mr. Wednesday'' as a name in some forums. I don't know much about the word itself, but I think it is related to a Norse god......Odin maybe?

"Mittwoch" is much simplier... Ah, god bless that German influence what finally
destroyed our original culture in 30's... :love: (read: Mittwoch; Keskiviikko).

The whole English language is scary.

through tough thought though
by buy bye

See what I mean? ;)

Originally posted by Matrix
The whole English language is scary.

through tough thought though
by buy bye

See what I mean? ;)

omg, now I'll have nightmares for weeks :cry:

and btw: why are currently more people afraid of me than of the word wednesday? :eek: :crazyeye:

Days, months, and holidays... Many have origins in the names of 'gods'... Roman, Norse, etc.

As for spelling, I went to the nationals as second-best in my school which meant I went to sit in the audience. Then, I watch the girl who was first and on stage misspell the word "MASON"... :mad: No one ever said life was fair...

ghoti

Originally posted by Gastric ReFlux
ghoti

Parital to blackened red snapper myself. And yourself?

I Shaw do love some salmon, by George!

As has been partially mentioned above, Wednesday comes from "Wodin's day", named for the Norse god Odin.

And I have only ever heard it pronounced "wensday".

Like many other words (and not just in English!) some of the "awkward" sounds get smoothed away over time: the "d" in Wednesday, the "k" in knight, etc.

You scare me DaZeT! :crazyeye:

What about February. o_O

Originally posted by Padma
Becka: February is still pronounced February, but that is changing.

I know. I hardly EVER hear people say it right. I don't even say it right.

Originally posted by Padma
Becka: February is still pronounced February, but that is changing. Another example of an "awkward" sound disappearing.

What about ask vs aks? :eek:

miercoles is a nice replacement for wednesday:)

Originally posted by Globber
miercoles is a nice replacement for wednesday:)

ARGH. The days of the week. :eek: The only thing I learned in Spanish in public school...

Miercoles? Is that the metric version? How do you convert customary days of the week into metric days of the week?

Just curious.

Top Bottom