Weekend Diety Multiplayer

@Gazebo Desyncs abound! Halp! Maybe the merger mess caused this? We've tried no barbs, less people, and messed with hosts. Desync on turn one consistently with no other mods.
Actually i've just tried to launch the game with ElliotS modpack with my friend and it worked okay. So probably someone was causing a problem and this someone is not me. (cause i didn't change anything, just sent a link to my friend)

Actually i've just tried to launch the game with ElliotS modpack with my friend and it worked okay. So probably someone was causing a problem and this someone is not me. (cause i didn't change anything, just sent a link to my friend)
Well we didn't try without phantom. Or with you hosting, actually. I suppose we should do further testing sometime? Hopefully with more potential hosts.

Did everybody delete their cache/ after installing modpack?

How did last week go?
Actually not that good, cause we ended up playing 3 player ffa without AI due to desyncs. Not sure if the problem is caused by AI or just because CIv5 has awful netcode, this actually requires testing.

And we did not finish cause i'm in Moscow and two other guys are in US, so time difference was too big, i had to go sleep.

On the other hand i'm pretty sure that if we manage to make it work stable and agree on a set of "not being a jerk" rules - it can be very interesting to play

On the other hand i'm pretty sure that if we manage to make it work stable and agree on a set of "not being a jerk" rules - it can be very interesting to play
"We should start a friendly war to grind our units for XP so we can take down Owl." ElliotS proposal to deal with the Inca problem.

We do need to test some more. Has anyone asked @phantomaxl1207 if he made sure he installed the modpack correctly? The turn one desyncs stopped without him. Elliot and I haven't checked for stability with just us two and we're not as far from each other. Didn't you say the desync rate was about the same when you two played with AI?

It could be that he had EUI installed through the regular installer and just forgot to delete ALL of the files before putting in the modpack ...

Are you supposed to delete the other EUI folder when using the modpack?
General rule : never have two copy of the same thing (ex : EUI) at the same time.
If the creator of the modpack included EUI in a modpack, you have to make sure you don't have a second copy of EUI at the same time.

We do need to test some more. Has anyone asked @phantomaxl1207 if he made sure he installed the modpack correctly? The turn one desyncs stopped without him. Elliot and I haven't checked for stability with just us two and we're not as far from each other. Didn't you say the desync rate was about the same when you two played with AI?
I tested modpack with my friend via local network, had no desyns for the first 20 turns on Large map. But we tested without Barbs

I'm up for more tomorrow! Anyone interested let me know and we'll start at 12:00 PM US central time. (So Owl can get on a bit earlier.) If we get more people and start a new one I'm instituting a new rule: Everyone can ban 1 civ and we'll all select at the same time afterwards. (Inca defense OP!)

I am interested in playing!! I've only beaten Kind difficulty though :( As long as we finish before 4PM CST I'll play through the whole thing. Banning Attila!!!!

I am interested in playing!! I've only beaten Kind difficulty though :( As long as we finish before 4PM CST I'll play through the whole thing. Banning Attila!!!!
There is basically a zero percent chance of the game finishing by 4, but there is a non-zero chance of you being killed by 4 so feel free to show up. :p PM my your steam name if interested. Best way to grow as a player is by losing imo.

I just got an interesting idea. Back in time, when BNW was just released (even before Korea DLC) i played MP with my friend and we got terrible desyncs, like every 3-4 turns (and it was vanila, no mods). We solved it by playing via Evolve app. It creates VPN and after that we were playing MP via "Local Network" option, but we were in different cities. And there were no desyncs.

EDIT: typos

Last edited:
Speaking of rules:

We can use this app for picking civilizations: http://georgeskleres.com/civ5/
Everyone can ban 1 civ, after that everyone gets 3 random civs to choose from, also players are allowed to swap their pools with each other (i.e. change my 3 civs for your 3 civs)

Also i think we need to set a rule for declaring a war.
I know that NQmod players can move all their units simultaniously, but i don't like it, cause it is like "the one who clicks faster wins". On the other hand - the one who strikes first has significant advantage.
I'm currently thinking of a rule like "you should notify the player 2(or 3) turns before declaring a war" so that you have time to position your units.

Speaking of rules:

We can use this app for picking civilizations: http://georgeskleres.com/civ5/
Everyone can ban 1 civ, after that everyone gets 3 random civs to choose from, also players are allowed to swap their pools with each other (i.e. change my 3 civs for your 3 civs)

Also i think we need to set a rule for declaring a war.
I know that NQmod players can move all their units simultaniously, but i don't like it, cause it is like "the one who clicks faster wins". On the other hand - the one who strikes first has significant advantage.
I'm currently thinking of a rule like "you should notify the player 2(or 3) turns before declaring a war" so that you have time to position your units.
We'll vote on war rules before we start. I don't know if I could vote for any rules that don't allow me to kill your 1 hp scout again though. :p

I just got an interesting idea. Back in time, when BNW was just released (even before Korea DLC) i played MP with my friend and we got terrible desyncs, like every 3-4 turns (and it was vanila, no mods). We solved it by playing via Evolve app. It creates VPN and after that we were playing MP via "Local Network" option, but we were in different cities. And there were no desyncs.

EDIT: typos

We (in neighbour thread) are playing over VPN and still get desyncs sometimes, but it's more a nuisance. I can imagine though what kind of hell you get if you try to play through steam servers...

Top Bottom