1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Weekend Specials Online

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by GoodGame, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Darkest Hour is HoI2 Complete with an infinitely better map and a World War I scenario.

There's literally no reason to get HoI2 over DH.

2. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Oh there is a reason. It's not on sale on GamersGate right now.

3. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

Brink is in a free Weekend on Steam. You can download now and play through Sunday 1pm.

4. remake20

remake20 :)

I heard it wasn't very good, but I may try it out anyway.

5. Luckymoose

Luckymoose The World is Mine

It wasn't very good.

6. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

Morrowind and Oblivion GotY pack for $15, or $10 if you preordered Skyrim. Preordering Skyrim also gets you a hat for the heavy. Quakecon pack with a ton of id and Bethesda stuff is $69.99.

7. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

I'm actually tempted to not buy Skyrim on Steam, but buy an actual copy from a store. Something I haven't done in a looooong time. Kind of worrying about modding.

8. GoodGame

I seem to wait 2 years for the all the DLC in a gold package for $20 in store copy. I'm kind of stinker taht way.

I'm not sure that Steam won't allow modding of Skyrim. I'd think some lessons would have been learned from the hiccups in Oblivion modding on Steam. And I think even console modding of Skyrim may be supported according to a press release.

I think the only reason not to buy on steam is you think Steam will collapse, Steam will radically change its model to some kind of nasty DRM, or you won't have a reliable affordable internet connection in the future. That said, I do like having the really classic games in a box.

9. Maniacal

Yeah I'd rather pre-order Skyrim physically and get the cloth map and have the disks for easier reinstallation after I realize I have several gigs of mods and its easier to just uninstall and start over.

Plus I don't really like having to always download my games especially when the ISPs in Canada can't decide whether or not they are going to actually enforce their download limits (which are completely unnecessary and bullcrap anyway).

That works too, if it wasn't for the cloth map I honestly wouldn't consider pre-ordering Skyrim as I'll still have to wait for all of the mods to get finished, which takes a year or so.

The problems before with some mods was that the .exe file for Steam (and most download services) is different than the retail one. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Skyrim uses Steamworks.

They said they were considering putting up some of the community mods for download for the consoles, somehow. No guarantee it will actually go through and Microsoft will demand that people have to buy them with Microsoft points anyway.

Or you don't have an amazing internet connection, don't want to download a many-gigabyte sized game the same time as thousands of other people (or at all).

10. GoodGame

Funny thing about those special editions a few years later is that even they are still for sale on Amazon, usually pretty cheap. 10 years later and they become vintage collectibles though.

11. Luckymoose

Luckymoose The World is Mine

Special editions are usually worth nothing. I have the special editions of a ton of games and they won't resell for jack.

12. Maniacal

I never see them available on Amazon after release.

Unless its something really rare and collectible like from the SNES era then no.

13. carmen510

carmen510 Deity

World of Warcraft Collector's Edition regularly goes for something like $200-300, when it originally sold for $80.

I got the Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty Collector's Edition and I never took it out of its shrink wrap, but that wasn't intentional. I originally bought it just to play, but I ended up getting too busy and not getting around to opening it. So, I guess I might as well hold onto it and see if the price for it goes up in the next year.

14. Maniacal

Its still an exception rather than a rule. WoW has millions of players and addicts.

15. GoodGame

Actually look for anything Star Trek. Tons of games going back to NES like you say, but some are only 2000-2005. Worth tons of money, though I suspect someone like Paramount is just hoarding the stockpile knowing that it sells like that.

OTOH, I've picked up collectible editions of like Quake: Enemy Territories for nothing.

16. Maniacal

Week 2 of GamersGate's sale seems to have many of last week's stuff (like Men of War and Evil Genius) still on sale.

Trine is $1.99 (easy to get for free with your blue coins!) and you'll easily get 6 hours out of it on one playthrough and is a pretty fun game.
    http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-TRINE/trine

17. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

Dang it, gog.com had everything Heroes of Might and Magic + Might and Magic on sale last week-end, and I didn't notice and their e-mail about the promo just came in this morning for me?! WHAT!

Edit: considering RollerCoster Tycoon 3...

18. Maniacal

I would have posted about it but I didn't think anyone would have cared (I didn't really either).

19. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

RCT3 sucks. The game lags horribly if your park has a decent amount of stuff. Get the 1st one!:king:

20. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

Thanks for the tip, although I do feel like munching on some 3d graphics... Dunno why 'cause I still play SimCity 2000.