1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Weekend Specials Online

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by GoodGame, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Chukchi Husky

Chukchi Husky Lone Wolf

It comes with DOSBox, but you can use Xu4, which is an engine remake so you can play the game on modern computers, and it lets you use the music and graphics upgrade patch.

2. carmen510

carmen510 Deity

Yeah, but unlike most versions, this one comes with all of the extras (manual, spellbook, clue book, and map) and has compatibility fixes so that it can run on Windows XP and 7 more smoothly.

3. Say_my_name

Say_my_name Warlord

All gog.com releases are ready to play out of the box. They are either modified to run on modern systems or come with a custom-built dosbox to play them. There's usually no need to tinker with the game/dosbox settings yourself.

4. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

You actually have to read the fine print on the page. Occasionally they can't manage to support all OSes. Dungeon Keeper 2 is one that they couldn't get to work on Windows 7.

5. Say_my_name

Say_my_name Warlord

DK2 is a special case, they have no access to the source code so it's hard to properly fix the game. That, and the compatibility issues with Windows 7 are pretty random, a lot of people can' run the game on Windows 7 at all, while I know someone personally who had no problems with it.

Still not a bad idea to check the forums for games that were originally released for Windows systems, those can be iffy sometimes. I never had a problem with any GOG game so far though.

Also, all Digital Factory games are 50% off on GOG. This includes the Commandos Series and some other games that I never heard of before.

6. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

I am glad I still have my WinXP Disc and it does still work, but still, sad to see games not live on well :(

Also I like tequila

7. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

I still can't believe in this day and age there isn't a real full-proof compatibility mode that would make every old DOS or Windows programs work easily.

8. GoodGame

Eat a worm for me! :)

9. Maniacal

Dead Island is $36 on Green Man Gaming (gives you a Steam key) with promo code EATIN-BRAIN-ZZZZZ

10. PeteAtoms

PeteAtoms FormulaRandom

Civilization V is 75% off on Steam, now only $12.50 ($15 for Digital Deluxe Version)

11. tycoonist

tycoonist Deity

Save your money.

12. Maniacal

There is a 5 day Paradox event sale on Steam this week. Today's sale is on Cities in Motion but the Paradox Complete Pack is also only $99 (and full price is $767.63). All other Paradox Games seem to be 50% off too, including the Hearts of Iron, EUIII, etc but also Mount&Blade: Warband (which you should have already bought, but if you haven't yet DO IT), the horror adventure Penumbra, Rise of Nations, Magicka, Knights of Honor, King Arthur the Role Playing Wargame (total war like game that is fun), and one of my favourite games ever Sword of the Stars: Complete for only $9.99! (Although SotS2 is coming out next month).

13. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

That list makes me cry. I wish i had more money...

14. CyberTyrant

CyberTyrant Emperor

That complete pack is totally worth it. If only I had $100 to blow...

15. Maniacal

Today's deal is the recently released Sengoku for $23.99 USD. I'm rather tempted to get it, I wish I wasn't saving my money for important crap like rent and food.

16. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

Save up for CK II, which is going to be awesome.
    Sengoku seems too simple to me, it seems your main goal every time is to unite Japan. How many times would I want to do that?

17. Maniacal

There is also a weekend sale on various Star Wars titles including the excellent Knights of the Old Republic game, Jedi Academy and more. Also Portal 1 is apparently free for an unknown period of time.

18. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Till 20th September 2011

19. GoodGame

Is any of the Star Wars worth getting? Except for Republican Commando, I've not liked any of the demos in the past, and quite of few of those game belong on GOG.com.

20. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

Knights of the Old Republic fo sho. If you like RPGs. Although I've bought it on Steam for 2.50$ a few years ago.