Weekend Specials Online

Good decision. It's tempting (like gambling) but definitely not worth it.

EDIT... Also, coal has a value of roughly 60 cents in trading, so when you craft 7 coal, you're risking about $4.20 of currency.

How you figure one coal is worth 60 cents?

Besides, if you only want coal, wouldn't it make more sense to create a new account, buy a cheap game for 1€ (you need to buy a something to make the account eligible to participate) and get the free coals rather than buy games just for coal?

By the way, does anyone know what are the odds that a present will be a game rather than a coupon?

PS. I have 4 coal and one -33% valve coupon so far (haven't bought games for achievements nor played the free games)

Today's specials aren't terrible surprising. The Dead Space games are 75% off, Machinarum is half off, the Serious Sam games are on too and are just pure arcadey shoot em ups (which they do very well and don't pretend to be anything but), Two Worlds 2 is an okay RPG, the Tomb Raider games are up there too, SPAZ is by all accounts an excellent 2D (iirc) space indie game, and Hearts of Iron 3 is dirt cheap. Dungeon Defenders is supposed to be fun if you are into yet another take on tower defense.

anyone tried Dungeon Defenders? The tower defence part is keeping me from buying it tho cause I dont really like em but it seems not so tower defence like this game hehe...

anyone tried Dungeon Defenders? The tower defence part is keeping me from buying it tho cause I dont really like em but it seems not so tower defence like this game hehe...

DD is an action-rpg tower defence type of game with a bit of FPS. There's multiple variants on the typical tower defence, and the rpg leveling element keeps it from being about building towers solely. In fact some of the RPG-classes aren't really tower based, and each character you build can be more or less defense/tower-based or more or less an action-FPS type of player. It is mostly a multiplayer game, as SP is nearly impossible with a new character.

I reviewed it before and would describe it as Torchlight (Diablo ripoff) meets Tower Defense.

Today's specials look pretty awesome if you like adventure games (Prince of Persia, Assassin's Creed, and Lara Croft).

thx ;)
Steam servers are dead for me atm so can't download the demo nor the game itself...
But I guess at 2.5 euros it can sit there and wait till it clears up a bit!

Today's specials aren't terrible surprising. The Dead Space games are 75% off, Machinarum is half off, the Serious Sam games are on too and are just pure arcadey shoot em ups (which they do very well and don't pretend to be anything but), Two Worlds 2 is an okay RPG, the Tomb Raider games are up there too, SPAZ is by all accounts an excellent 2D (iirc) space indie game, and Hearts of Iron 3 is dirt cheap. Dungeon Defenders is supposed to be fun if you are into yet another take on tower defense.

Machinarium is a supremely lovely point-and-click adventure, and well worth the sale price.

Does anyone know whether or not Dead Rising 2 has been on sale yet? I got some money over the holidays so I'm wondering if I should wait or get it for the $15 price.

Anyone want 25% off Valve coupon from Steam I will gladly trade it with you.

Looking at the Valve games Steam has I either have the game or don't desire to buy them. So I don't want it sitting unused if someone else can use it.

Message me on Steam (account name: germanicus12) if you are interested. I also joined the CFC group on Steam.

Does anyone know whether or not Dead Rising 2 has been on sale yet? I got some money over the holidays so I'm wondering if I should wait or get it for the $15 price.

I've been waiting for that sale too. I think I'll get it even if it doesn't go beyond the 50% current price. However, there seems to be two versions of Dead Rising 2 (one with the original character that costs a bit more). I'm a bit confused as to which version I should get.

The second one (Off the Record) is an expansion, apparently it didn't do very well in the ratings. DR2 is at $14.99 which is pretty cheap as it is lol.

Yeah but it doesn,t seem to require the original so it's seemingly a "stand-alone"? In these cases it's always a bit confusing. I never know if it's worth getting the original since the standalone might (unclear) already contain the original version anyway. Or maybe it's just SOMETHING ELSE entirely and the original game isn't in it (in which case why call it an expansion if you can't even play the original game?).

How you figure one coal is worth 60 cents?
That was an often-quoted value in the forums. Now 50c per coal is relatively high and usually trades treat coal around about 40c.

I would expect in the last couple of days of this promotion the price will plummet further because most Steam users appear to be of the opinion that there is no point keeping coal for the end-of-promotion contest (the prize giveaways) because odds are negligible anyway, and so supply will increase.

I expect the price of coal will level out at a point that reflects the average value of items won from crafting (or to be precise, 1/7th the average value of items won from crafting).

Besides, if you only want coal, wouldn't it make more sense to create a new account, buy a cheap game for 1€ (you need to buy a something to make the account eligible to participate) and get the free coals rather than buy games just for coal?
I guess so. That's exactly why Humble Bundle Inc ended up having to enforce a minimum price of $1 for Steam keys to be given with their bundles. Not a lot of people knew but GetGamesGo were even giving out Steam keys for free (their recent bundle could be bought for $0 an unlimited number of times until they noticed the abuse).

IMO the number of people who'd do that on a scale to 'farm' the coal would not be high enough to put an upper limit on the value of coal. And I think towards the end of the promotion it would lose its viability anyway.
By the way, does anyone know what are the odds that a present will be a game rather than a coupon?
It's probably under 10%. Maybe about 5%. It's hard to tell.
PS. I have 4 coal and one -33% valve coupon so far (haven't bought games for achievements nor played the free games)

I traded some cheap games to get some coal and then have used coal to buy up some coupons very cheaply. For instance I got a -33% Bethesda coupon for 3 coal (about 80 cents worth), and if Skyrim goes on sale for about $40 again that coupon would represent more than $10 value (if buying the game of course!). It's a tiny bit of a gamble because I'm basically hoping games that I'm interested in will go on sale in the next two months, but when they do go on sale, I will have coupons that will apply over the top of the discounted price.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4210-YIPC-0275
Can I use coupons on already discounted items?

Coupons are valid on discounted items unless specified otherwise.

What's especially interesting about all these coupons ending up on the market is that a lot of people don't appear to realise these coupons will be stackable with discounts in the next two months. Most coupons can be picked up for 1 coal or usually less. Only some of the very sought after and expensive games (e.g. Skyrim, MW3, Saints Row 3) are managing to keep their coupons at 3 coal or more, but even those are a steal if there's a moderate to reasonable chance you'll be picking up a game on sale in the next 2 months.

Some people I've seen throughout my trading appear to be on to a similar idea and have upwards of 4 pages of their Steam inventory taken up by coupons. Since these coupons will have trading value for the next two months, it would be amusing if these people end up making real cash from them. It's a risky investment, but for a few dollars spent during the sale, IMO worth it.

The thing is though, there aren't any big sales during the next three months. There will be the usual daily special and run of the mill sales, but only Valve has any idea of what they will be. Unless you get some really good coupons, most of them aren't worth much to many people (especially those of us who already own most of what we want and/or are not going to spend much money on games in the next few months).

That was an often-quoted value in the forums. Now 50c per coal is relatively high and usually trades treat coal around about 40c.

I would expect in the last couple of days of this promotion the price will plummet further because most Steam users appear to be of the opinion that there is no point keeping coal for the end-of-promotion contest (the prize giveaways) because odds are negligible anyway, and so supply will increase.

I expect the price of coal will level out at a point that reflects the average value of items won from crafting (or to be precise, 1/7th the average value of items won from crafting).

I guess so. That's exactly why Humble Bundle Inc ended up having to enforce a minimum price of $1 for Steam keys to be given with their bundles. Not a lot of people knew but GetGamesGo were even giving out Steam keys for free (their recent bundle could be bought for $0 an unlimited number of times until they noticed the abuse).

IMO the number of people who'd do that on a scale to 'farm' the coal would not be high enough to put an upper limit on the value of coal. And I think towards the end of the promotion it would lose its viability anyway.
It's probably under 10%. Maybe about 5%. It's hard to tell.

I traded some cheap games to get some coal and then have used coal to buy up some coupons very cheaply. For instance I got a -33% Bethesda coupon for 3 coal (about 80 cents worth), and if Skyrim goes on sale for about $40 again that coupon would represent more than $10 value (if buying the game of course!). It's a tiny bit of a gamble because I'm basically hoping games that I'm interested in will go on sale in the next two months, but when they do go on sale, I will have coupons that will apply over the top of the discounted price.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4210-YIPC-0275

What's especially interesting about all these coupons ending up on the market is that a lot of people don't appear to realise these coupons will be stackable with discounts in the next two months. Most coupons can be picked up for 1 coal or usually less. Only some of the very sought after and expensive games (e.g. Skyrim, MW3, Saints Row 3) are managing to keep their coupons at 3 coal or more, but even those are a steal if there's a moderate to reasonable chance you'll be picking up a game on sale in the next 2 months.

Some people I've seen throughout my trading appear to be on to a similar idea and have upwards of 4 pages of their Steam inventory taken up by coupons. Since these coupons will have trading value for the next two months, it would be amusing if these people end up making real cash from them. It's a risky investment, but for a few dollars spent during the sale, IMO worth it.

I suppose you're right, trading the coal would probably give the best value for it. And I've already accepted the fact that I'm probably not going to get anything of value from this promotion (so if I do get something it's a plus). By the way, I can get a physical copy of Skyrim for 32,4€, and I doubt that I could get it cheaper from steam (coupons or no coupons). Besides, I like having the box and everything. Also, I kind of hope Valve will disable all those coal farming accounts.

I have 4 challenges I could complete but I can't because of a power outage:(. There's been a bit of a storm going on in here

I have spent a grand total of 12,23€ in the sales. Big spender, I know.

The thing is though, there aren't any big sales during the next three months. There will be the usual daily special and run of the mill sales, but only Valve has any idea of what they will be. Unless you get some really good coupons, most of them aren't worth much to many people (especially those of us who already own most of what we want and/or are not going to spend much money on games in the next few months).

I agree.

However, Steam has a large enough userbase by now that I would say there is a reasonably large number of people buying the daily deals. And from experience, daily deals usually hit or nearly hit the best discount they've had before (the main exception being when other DD sites did much more significant discounts - e.g. DeusExHR on Amazon... good luck seeing Steam get anywhere near $10 for a while).

Then you've got a few weekend deals and midweek madness deals. Maybe one or two of the weeks will be a promotion for one of the publishers.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I definitely don't think the presence of coupons is going to make Valve hold back on the deals they've traditionally offered this time of year.

And coupons are getting cheaper practically by the minute. I saw someone offer 50 coupons for 5 coal (some of them were pretty good too, not just all junk Valve coupons). I was too slow for that one though.:mischief:

Top Bottom