1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Weird black lines on map

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Macintosh' started by johnnyfoodstamp, Dec 1, 2016.

1. johnnyfoodstamp

johnnyfoodstamp Chieftain

Got a new MacBook Pro with 2.4 ghz i7 / 16 GB ram / intel iris 540 and downloaded Civ 6. Got these weird black lines on the map. Looking around on the internet it seems other people with new MacBook pros are having the same issue. What's the cause and what's the fix? Game runs fine otherwise. I've played so much they don't bother me so much anymore but I would like to get ride of them. :)

2. fotonut

fotonut Chieftain

I've played a few games with these lines, they've been harmless so far, and the game play is otherwise fine.

If on the same machine you enable animated leader screens (off by default), you may also get bad graphics, and sometimes other hilarity such as: teddy-jpg.457857

3. johnnyfoodstamp

Yeah, the black lines are harmless just annoying. I haven't been playing with animated leaders but I'll have to try that out... lol.

I got an email back from Aspyr and apparently the new late 2016 MacBook pros with the intel iris graphics card are not supported. So I guess I'm lucky that black lines are the only issue. This is pretty disappointing. Brand new computer. Brand new game. Doesn't work right and no fix. I guess there are worse things in the world.... :(

4. johnnyfoodstamp

OK. Fixed it! Talked to Aspyr on twitter. The Iris 540 graphics card in the new Macbook Pros is not supported! Exchanged my computer for last years model with the Iris 6100 (which is supported). Worked like a charm. Also, about $798 cheaper! haha Love it!

Keep in mind! New macbook pros with Intel 540 will not run Civ without graphical glitches!!!

5. fotonut

fotonut Chieftain

You're talking just about the 13" here, right? On the 15" the graphics are correct, including leader animations.

Also, other than the harmless black lines, even on the 13" things seem to work just fine and pretty zippy.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  6. johnnyfoodstamp

Yes, the 13 inch late 2016 with the Intel 540 graphics card. That's the cause of the black lines. And I suppose they're not game breaking. Just annoying. I played a ton of Civ 5 and was looking forward to this and the black lines just sucked to be honest. After the first few hours I looked right past them. But heck, now they're gone and I saved $798 so it's all good. I can live with an early 2015 model. haha

7. MPoxon

MPoxon Chieftain

Same issue here with my MBP 2016 13" 16GB RAM Iris 550 and i7 3.3ghz. Very frustrating as one of the motivations for the purchase was Civ6 running slow on the MBP13 2013 model, took ages to process each turn. On the plus side graphics issues aside it runs rather well on the new machine.

Interestingly enough I did not have black line issues with the MBP 2016 15" with the ATI card in. long story but that got sent back and I now have the MBP 13"

Anyway - good news:

I logged a support request with Aspyr and got the following response which is positive:

This issue has been verified fixed for the next possible update.
    I do not have an ETA on when that update will be out.(hopefully, mid-January)
    You can follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or watch this KB article for updates on release.
    https://support.aspyr.com/hc/en-us/...-VI-and-Digital-Deluxe-Poland-and-Vikings-DLC

Thanks so much for your patience.

Aspyr CS

8. johnnyfoodstamp

Well, I guess I should have waited before I returned mine! haha I knew they would fix it. Oh well. I'm enjoying the 2015 model. Was quite a bit cheaper so I'm good with it. But glad to hear they're gonna fix it! :)

9. KWagle

KWagle Chieftain

I've seen the lines on my 2015 retina MacBook. That's a Core M with Intel HD 5300, running at 2304x1440. Should've spent the dough on the 2015 MBP.