1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Weird CTD making a mod with new expansion?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Creation & Customization' started by luei333, Feb 18, 2018.

1. luei333

luei333 Chieftain

So, is anyone else having problems making a new mod as of the new expansion? I've just tried making a mod using the Jasper Kitty demo template, but adding additional entries in the Players and PlayerItems tables with the domain as "Players:Expansion1_Players" instead, so it'll let me choose him in a Rise and Fall game, but when I do, it goes to the "Loading, Please Wait" screen, but never to the actual loading screen for the leader. Eventually, it says 'Start Game', but clicking on that beings me to a game where the whole map is revealed, the top info bar is all sorts of weird, I don't think I even have any units, it's a mess. Even attempting to go to the main menu or quit to desktop at this point causes a crash (to desktop).

This is a really weird error, you can see in GameCore.log that as it's loading the game, the player's civilization and leader are (null), and that obviously throws up errors in the Lua.log for the AdvancedSetup.lua code. So, there's something that is tanking the loading of the whole civ and leader, and causing cascading errors. Is there something I'm missing in what's needed for the expansion? Something that the example mod doesn't have, and the new stuff doesn't set a default for with a null entry? I had this same problem on another civ I made a new mod for the other day, but I used zero code from the Jasper Kitty examples and stuff. The oddest part is, I have another mod I've been working on, and it works fine, with just duplicating the Config table entries but with different Domain entries. At this point, I'm almost inclined to think there's some error with the way the ModBuddy generates new mod files after the expansion that messes something up, I don't know! Help would be appreciated.

2. luei333

luei333 Chieftain

I FIGURED IT OUT! I was basing my mod off of Firaxis' example mod leader and civ, with Jasper Kitty and all that. Turns out, in the in-game actions, each one of them has a criteria for if Jasper Kitty specifically is being used. If you change the LeaderType of your leader from what the example has, your stuff will not load in-game. I have no idea why, in an example build, they would add something that could so easily break your mod, without throwing any errors. What's more, the name of their criteria is just 'LeaderType', which is misleading at best to newer modders, since it's a very specific LeaderType; they should have named it something like 'JasperKittyIsPlayable'. And even further more, I swear this is new as of the Rise and Fall update ot the code. I am pretty certain I've never had to deal with Criteria before for the mods I have that actually compile fine. So annoying.