Weird deaths in history

Kyriakos

Creator
Inspired by a thread at TWC :)

My own suggestions:

-Probably a false account, but the important late 5th century BC philosopher, Embedocles, jump to his death in the mountain Etna, so as to be taken to the heavens.
A more realistic account mentions him being mortally wounded from falling off a chariot near Megara.

-Herostratos was executed for setting the Temple of Artemis at Ephesos aflame. He claimed he did so cause he wanted to be famous, and saw no other way to achieve it.

-Heraklitos, the ephesian philosopher, became a hermit and died in the wilderness after using a wrong treatment on his ailing body.

-Iirc some king of Corinth (Periander?) ordered his own execution by dressing up as a stranger and hiring guards to kill said stranger, then more guards to kill the first guards, and then even more to kill the second guards. Supposedly cause he wanted his burial site to be unknown.

And suggestions by the OP there:

"
The ancient Greek stoic philosopher Chryssipus is said to have died of laughter watching a donkey eat some figs. Apparently he called to a servant: "Let the donkey drink some wine!" before collapsing to the ground. Diogenes Laertius reports that "Having laughed too much, he died". The incident took place in the 3rd century BC.

Separately there is also a report that Zeuxis, a 5th-century BC Greek painter, is said to have died laughing at the humorous way he painted the goddess Aphrodite – after the old woman who commissioned it insisted on modeling for the portrait. An honourable mention also goes to the playwright Aeschylus, who is said to have died after an eagle dropped a tortoise onto his bald head, mistaking it for a rock. The irony is that Aeschylus had been staying outside, to avoid a prophesy that he would be killed by a falling object."

Love the Chryssipos one :lol:

Wow, I had no idea Greeks were so good at dying.

Wow, I had no idea Greeks were so good at dying.
Apparently they started the practice of doing things "ironically" long before the t-shirt-wearing 20th/21st century did. ;)

I suppose a person could die of laughter if their breathing was compromised somehow, or they became stressed and it resulted in some other problem. Even the phrase "fell off his chair laughing" can end in death, if the person falling hits his head or injures his neck or has some breathing problem as a result.

Branwell Brontë, brother of the famous Brontë sisters, died standing up, leaning on a mantle-piece, to prove that it could be done.

I think it was supposed to be some sort of Romantic statement about the power of human will, but it reads more naturally as a testament to the bloody-minded contrariness of the English country gentleman.

Branwell Brontë, brother of the famous Brontë sisters, died standing up, leaning on a mantle-piece, to prove that it could be done.

I think it was supposed to be some sort of Romantic statement about the power of human will, but it reads more naturally as a testament to the bloody-minded contrariness of the English country gentleman.

From wiki:

• 1567: Hans Steininger, the burgomaster of Braunau (then Bavaria, now Austria), died when he broke his neck by tripping over his own beard.[41] The beard, which was 4.5 feet (1.4 m) long at the time, was usually kept rolled up in a leather pouch.

I recall some Baltic German gentleman who was apparently crushed by a pig while vacationing somewhere in Italy.
The pig was being kept and fattened on a balcony, which unfortunately gave way while he was passing underneath.

While death by enemy soldier isn't that rare, Archimedes was said to be still drawing notes on sand to try to prove something when he was killed, after saying "do not disturb my circles" (stupid barbarian :yup: )

According to tradition (and less likely), Homer supposedly died from being too fixated on a riddle some children had told him.

Iirc Proust died from starvation (?), refusing to leave his house. Lost too much time amirite

Exyperry (spelled otherwise i am sure), the writer of "The little prince", was lost while piloting his plane over the Sahara. Much like in the Little Prince.

How do I give this thread a ginormous thumbs up?

Basil I usurped the throne and founded the Macedonian dynasty proving one of the greatest emperors the Byzantines ever had. Then he
died on August 29, 886 from a fever contracted after a serious hunting accident when his belt was caught in the antlers of a deer, and he was allegedly dragged 16 miles through the woods.

st Exupery was shot down by Fw-190s while piloting a recon version of P-38 , despite knowing it very well that he was too old to fly a fighter type in WW II conditions . He might been lost before the War , though and found later .

But wiki says he disappeared (which is also what i recalled reading in his bios in books, land of men and the little prince) :)

"...
Following a 27-month hiatus in North America, during which he wrote three of his most important works, he joined the Free French Air Force in North Africa, although he was far past the maximum age for such pilots and in declining health. He disappeared over the Mediterranean on a reconnaissance mission in July 1944, and is believed to have died at that time."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_de_Saint-Exupéry

Although i recalled he was over the Sahara when he disappeared, while le wiki claims it was the watery sahara of the med.

Basil I usurped the throne and founded the Macedonian dynasty proving one of the greatest emperors the Byzantines ever had. Then he

His predecessor, Michael III, "the Drunkard", was said to have lost both his hands and feet in a catastrophic 'bathing accident'. Basil was ideally placed to inherit the throne, of course.

Sigurd, the 9th Century Earl of Orkney, managed to be killed by a long-dead foe, as when he went out riding one day, he scratched his leg on the teeth of his enemy's decapitated head affixed to his saddle and died of the resulting infection.

Charles II of Navarre spent his final night alive wrapped tightly in a brandy-soaked linen shroud, which caught aflame from a nearby candle and he burnt to death, unable to move even as he screamed in agony.

King John of Bohemia perished at the Battle of Crecy after fighting bravely against the English, but given that he was famously blind, he was said to have had three horses tied securely together and he rode into the thick of the battle upon the middle horse, with a companion on either side. His symbol, three ostrich feathers, was then adopted by Edward, Prince of Wales, in honour of the fallen king's bravery.

Charles of Orleans, son of Francis I of France, managed to kill himself in a spectacularly stupid way, contracting the plague by wilfully entering a sealed-off plague-house and horsing around inside, apparently on the pretext that no prince of France had ever died of the plague. Unsurprisingly, he later died of the plague.

As a method of picking your own manner of death, I think it's pretty damn brave.

The visual image of this made me laugh far harder than it probably should have.

2 others:

Clement Vallandigham, a New England lawyer, shot himself in a court room while trying to prove that one could accidentally shoot themselves.
Tennessee Williams choked to death on the plastic cap of a nasal spray bottle.

Not really, given he also led two other people to death - those whose horses were tied to his own, ie to a blind horseman noble and king ;)

It was the Middle Ages and they were presumably sworn to serve him. Goes with the territory, I think.

Top Bottom