1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

weird maps

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Janne, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Janne

Janne El Comandante

Hey,

I my current game I came across another weird map, every once in a while the map generator produces unusual maps. This time on a small continent map, I was on a continent with France and the Ottos and the other 3 civs (Incas, Siam and Darius) each had a continent of their own...not sure if I like it though as there is much less chance of them going to DoW each other but on the other hand, there will be no run-away civ, well, apart from me...

Other weird maps I had in the past included maps with a resource missing...last game I played there was no cotton to be found in the whole wide world or I had a game completely without coal. But I guess something like that only ever happens on small maps.

What are the weirdest maps you have had?

2. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

I spawned on a continent and was all by myself, except for 2 CS, on Immortal. I built 6 cities, but had to take out one CS to make my country look good.

2 turns later I meat China and they denounce me the turn later.

She had a FULL continent together with Japan, only 3 cities though, but neither ever expanded in the early game.
    Find the other continent, same thing here, 3 civs with 3 cities.

Then, wars from the left and the right, but noone attacked me. Cruisecontrol to culturewin.

The AI is just too unpredictable.

Or too predicable?

3. Monthar

Monthar Deity

I've had continents maps where I was stuck on the smallest continent with all but two of the civs. Those two got the large continent with most of the CSs. This was on a standard sized map with all settings on their defaults.

4. Mods

Mods Warlord

Culture win with 6 cities?

5. noncognosco

noncognosco Warlord

I had a Continents Plus map once where I shared a continent with one other civ, there were about 4 other civs on the other continent and all of the CS were on an archipelago of little islands between the continents. I didn't meet my first CS until the Renaissance.

6. M_Sparkle

M_Sparkle Chieftain

Standard pangea plus as siam... tried one city challenge was inland and by turn 140 had meet one city state but had explored the whole world. When I got satalietes and got the world map all the cs where on an island... what a waste for siam lol

7. HammerandSickle

HammerandSickle Warlord

I once played on a huge pangea map. It was virtually two mega-continents that were linked by a ridiculously long, thin land bridge and an enormous sea in between.

The problem was that the huge sea was lined by ice in the north and the land bridge in the south. Thus the entire world was, to some extent, landlocked.
    The world was very hard to navigate.

8. Peets

Peets Emperor Hall of Fame Staff

Yes, most people think you need max 3 but it can be easily done with 6 too.

9. dubrown

dubrown Prince

The most ridicolous map I've ever played was a huge highland map with the ranges option. I remember thinking that there was very few CS that I'd met compared to what there should be and that it was fairly crowded for a huge map The explanation came with satelites, more than a third of the map was completely blocked of by mountains, no path by land or water.

It was silly really, pure luck no AI civ or myself spammed on "the wrong side".

10. CYZ

CYZ Toileteer

Not sure wheter it was weird or awesome but when playing a Highlands map with all settings on random I got a map where every CIV and CS had their own valley. The exception was me as I shared my valley with Askia whom I killed off quickly.

Really strange. Everything was accesible but there were only one or two passage ways which were one tile in size. Sometimes that tile was a lake as well.

11. thadian

thadian Kami of Awakened Dreamers

ive had starts where i displaced city state settlers.

also, ive had pangaea games (again a lot of them) where there is this huge wall of city states in the middle of the map. once i had a pangaea where every civ was on the outside and the CS's were bundled around the middle.

12. noncognosco

noncognosco Warlord

City states definitely tend to bunch together for some reason. I think it would be better if they were more spread out.

13. bronzeager

bronzeager Chieftain

definitely have had maps without any aluminum, and possibly without coal. very frustrating

14. Peets

Peets Emperor Hall of Fame Staff

I like that, makes the game different and more challenging :)
    Though sometimes not for my own benefit :(

15. rridgway

rridgway Chieftain

I've been in a similar position to him, except much more devastating. Except for one tile, there wasn't any iron on my continent once.

16. Raiki

Raiki Warlord

That seems to happen to me in almost every game I play. There's only ever like 4 Iron in the whole world, and I'll invariably have to fight my way through Bismark to get it. No mean feat when you consider that I need to crush his swords and seige (and his gorram Landsknecht) with crossbows, pikes and horses.

~R~

17. declanlee

declanlee Chieftain

I once had a map that has no silver.

18. HammerandSickle

HammerandSickle Warlord

There was once a map with only three cotton resources, all sitting back to back on another continent.

19. sav

sav Prince

I had a highlands map last week where I took over the eastern half, thought there was a lack of city states, then when I discovered satellites saw that 10 of the 12 city states were lined up along the western edge of the map. Weeeird.

20. ElWanderer

ElWanderer Warlord

My current map is weird. Huge continents; I have two neighbours that it took a hundred turns to meet as our continent is divided into four by impassable mountains. Added to that, my capital is coastal but can't build warships - I presume this is because the icepack is in the way, despite my opening up of a navigable route by the location of my second city.