Weird News III - Beyond the Bizarre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arakhor

Dremora Courtier
Super Moderator
Supporter
Ewwwww! No thanks! :sad:

I can trump that with the story of a woman who had 27 contact lenses stuck in one eye. At the same time.

Or (also, please, pay attention to J.K. Rowling, it's spelled ‘eurgh’), a 6,792-calorie meal: chips fried in batter, fish fried in batter, two slices of pizza fried in batter, two sausages fried in batter, two hamburger patties (I think beef) fried in batter, onion rings fried in batter, chicken nuggets fried in batter, and fritters fried in batter, and since it's in Glasgow, this ‘crunchie box’ is served with Irn-Bru.

It sells for £10, they say.

I must amend the above: closer examination of the photographic evidence I myself submitted to this thread leads me to conclusively conclude that the chips are not, I repeat, NOT fried in batter, and, just to clarify, neither is the Irn-Bru.

BBC said:
Fancy Greek island life? Cat care into the bargain
Who hasn't dreamed of giving the rat race up to live on a sunny island?

Well, now you can do just that - as long as you like cats. A lot.

A job at a cat sanctuary on the idyllic Greek island of Syros has come up, complete with accommodation, views of the Aegean Sea and - currently - 55 feline friends.

Of course, not everyone is going to be a good fit for God's Little People Cat Rescue.

Ms Bowell, an artist, is looking for someone over the age of 45, who is not only capable of loving the cats, but also knows how to "trap or handle a feral or non-sociable cat".

That means knowledge of "cats' psychology" as well as good "cat-whispering skills" are vital for the successful applicant.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45160780

Chinese kindergarten principal fired after kids welcomed with pole dance
By Ben Westcott and Serenitie Wang, CNN

Updated 12:57 AM ET, Tue September 4, 2018

(CNN)A Chinese kindergarten principal has been fired after she welcomed students back to school at the beginning of term with a pole dancing display.

Hundreds of children and parents at the Xinshahui kindergarten in Shenzhen, in the southern province of Guangdong, watched as a female pole dancer performed on a flag pole in a large courtyard.
Videos posted by parents on Monday show the skimpily-dressed dancer spinning and leaning seductively on the flagpole, from which a Chinese flag was flying.
Speaking to state media, the principal Lai Rong said there had been 500 children aged three to six and 100 parents in attendance.
Who would think this is a good idea? We're trying to pull the kids out of the school and get our tuition back. They wouldn't give us the number of the company that owns the school, but looking into that. pic.twitter.com/vEdIhuq774

— Michael Standaert (@mstandaert) September 3, 2018
The first Monday in September is the start of a new school year in China and schools often hold ceremonies to mark the occasion, usually involving motivating speeches by the principal or alumni.
Shenzhen-based journalist Michael Standaert said on social media he had planned to take his children out of the school following the performance.
"Before our kids got out of kindergarten for the summer, there was 10 days of military 'activities' and displays of machine guns and mortars at the door; now the principal has welcomed them back with a strip pole dance," Standaert wrote on his Twitter account.
Standaert said there were advertisements around the courtyard for a pole dancing school. The writer said when his wife called the principal to complain, the official hung up after saying it was "good exercise."
Speaking to CNN, Standaert said some students were "uncomfortable" with the performance, but added things were now moving back to normal under a new principal.
So before our kids got out of kindergarten for the summer, there was 10 days of military "activities" and displays of machine guns and mortars at the door; now the principal has welcomed them back with a strip pole dance on the flagpole bearing the PRC flag. She's gone nuts. pic.twitter.com/BJr4UI6Oq3

— Michael Standaert (@mstandaert) September 3, 2018
In a statement posted to Weibo on Monday afternoon, the local education bureau said an investigation had found a pole dancing business had been invited into the kindergarten to perform.
"The district education bureau believes performing pole dancing for kindergarten children is not appropriate," the statement said, adding the school had been asked to apologize to students and parents.
Principal Lai told state tabloid Global Times that while "a few parents" had requested a refund, others wanted to "learn a new type of dance."
She said she arranged the dance because of the dancer's "excellent skills."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/04/asia/china-pole-dancing-school-intl/index.html

Get your fresh fish here.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-04/fishmonger-reportedly-closed-over-fishy-googly-eyes/10198766

A fishmonger in Kuwait has been shut down for sticking fake "googly eyes" on fish to make them appear fresher, according to local media.

Local newspaper Al Bayan reported the vendor had been closed by police after images and video of the fish was first shared online.

The footage clearly shows the fake eye slipping off to reveal a much less appealing yellow eye underneath.

Rival sellers responded with mock advertising announcing the sale of "fish without cosmetic surgery", featuring an image of a fish and a selection of coloured contact lenses.

In July, another fishmonger in Kuwait was accused of putting nails in their fish to increase their weight, the BBC reported.

The googly-eyed fish was also greeted with a wave of hilarity and puns on social media, with many observing the "fishy situation".

BBC said:
Drunken children threaten Morecambe lifeboat crew
Lifeboat volunteers were threatened with violence after being called to help a group of drunken children who had been in the sea at Morecambe.

Six youngsters, aged between 11 and 15, had gone into the water fully clothed close to the town's clock tower on Sunday.

Morecambe RNLI launched an inshore boat before the group came ashore.

When volunteers went to their aid, one was told: "Come near me and I'll hit you."
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-45398774

It's not even that grim up north this time of year!

BBC said:
Bigfoot researcher's lawsuit tossed out by Canada court

A Canadian court has dismissed a Bigfoot-believer's lawsuit claiming British Columbia failed in its duty to recognise that sasquatches exist.

Todd Standing tried to get the province to acknowledge that the giant, ape-like figure was "an indigenous mammal living within British Columbia".

He also claimed the province infringed on his fundamental rights regarding his concern for the creature.

The province argued the civil claim lacked "an air of reality".
Mr Standing, who has made a documentary film about Bigfoot researchers and the creature that many people believe is mythical, was also ordered to pay for the province's legal costs.

He has previously said he had plans to file lawsuits in other jurisdictions in Canada and the US where the sasquatch is believed to live.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45414641

I can trump that with the story of a woman who had 27 contact lenses stuck in one eye. At the same time.

Or (also, please, pay attention to J.K. Rowling, it's spelled ‘eurgh’), a 6,792-calorie meal: chips fried in batter, fish fried in batter, two slices of pizza fried in batter, two sausages fried in batter, two hamburger patties (I think beef) fried in batter, onion rings fried in batter, chicken nuggets fried in batter, and fritters fried in batter, and since it's in Glasgow, this ‘crunchie box’ is served with Irn-Bru.

It sells for £10, they say.
Who would even want to eat that?

Who would even want to eat that?

battered fish is amazing. as are onion rings. I love chips. the rest I would gladly flush down the toilet :lol:

Of course battered and fried can be tasty as part of a meal, but this meal is simply beyond the pale. This must be why all my 19th c Scottish ancestors are dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom