Weird News III - Beyond the Bizarre

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-46070239

A secondary school pupil is being investigated after parents and classmates claimed he was as old as 30.

It is thought he is an asylum seeker who joined Stoke High School, Ipswich, as a new pupil at the start of term.
The school said it had contacted the Home Office in relation to the concerns but it was not prepared to comment further.

A 15 year old who has made their way across Europe from wherever too the UK could well act years older than they actually are.
Just as some people look far younger.

Well, that's novel. I can't imagine that there are many 30-year-olds who could plausibly pass as teenagers, though.

Well, that's novel. I can't imagine that there are many 30-year-olds who could plausibly pass as teenagers, though.
I'm in my thirties, and I get asked for I.D. whenever I buy alcohol. Which is not often, because I don't drink, but occasionally I have a date or something. Drinking age is 18 here. Same thing happened when I bought some R-rated DVDs last year - Game of Thrones, before anyone asks - and the girl asking was actually younger than me. I also spent a solid two hours once chatting up an attractive girl who I assumed was university-aged who turned out to be 16. Disaster barely averted, and if a friend who knew us both hadn't pulled me aside and said; "Dude, she's in high school" I might be in some legal bother right now.

Some people look nothing like their age. It's possible.

In the UK , it's policy to ID check people who look younger than 25 for age-restricted goods, but if you do look 20 years than you really are, good on you, I suppose.

In the UK , it's policy to ID check people who look younger than 25 for age-restricted goods, but if you do look 20 years than you really are, good on you, I suppose.
It could certainly come in handy if I still look decades younger when I'm in my sixties. Particularly if I haven't settled down with a good woman by then. But right now it is quite annoying. I work around teenage girls, and I'm naturally immature enough to apparently catch their interest, so this has resulted in multiple awkward conversations as I kill a young girl's dream, just this year alone.

It's not really policy to do that here. I remember in my youth we were told to ask "everyone who looks young-ish" for I.D. when selling tobacco at the supermarket, but was under 18 when I worked there and didn't have to do it anyway.

Ah, you're too new to have read about Plot's adventures in getting asked for ID well past the age of fo- I mean thirty.

Ah, you're too new to have read about Plot's adventures in getting asked for ID well past the age of fo- I mean thirty.
Oh. I thought you were accusing me of being his DL. Which threw me, since I lurked in World History, so I'm familiar with him.

But I feel his pain. Getting asked for I.D. is weird and annoying at this age.

But I feel his pain. Getting asked for I.D. is weird and annoying at this age.

I show ID without being asked, and I've got kids in their thirties. A lot of places hire these people for minimal wages and put them up against a bunch of snarky customers, then they watch the camera feeds that are pointed at the cash register and say "Why didn't you check that guy's ID when he bought cigarettes? What about that guy buying the beer?" They have to deal with so much guff already that they hate asking for ID, but on the zero quality black and white security video the blobs don't look any age in particular. Just cut them some slack and flip your wallet open so it shows on the camera that they checked.

You don't watch enough American TV which has "teen" characters.
I was just speaking to an old colleague from my pizza delivery days yesterday about Sabrina, the Teenage Witch. I mentioned a picture from the 90s series featuring Melissa Joan Hart that did the rounds of various websites a few years ago. The casting director of the series apparently decided that a middle-aged man with a receding hairline looked young enough to play a high school student in background shots. He actually looked older than the actor playing the school's principal, although he probably wasn't.

I was just speaking to an old colleague from my pizza delivery days yesterday about Sabrina, the Teenage Witch. I mentioned a picture from the 90s series featuring Melissa Joan Hart that did the rounds of various websites a few years ago. The casting director of the series apparently decided that a middle-aged man with a receding hairline looked young enough to play a high school student in background shots. He actually looked older than the actor playing the school's principal, although he probably wasn't.

When Buffy the Vampire Slayer was first on TV, the brunette actress here playing a 16 year old girl was 27.

She would have been 30 before the character turned 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom