1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Weird News III - Beyond the Bizarre

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Arakhor, Aug 24, 2018.

1. HoloDoc

HoloDoc Chieftain

Yet George Lucas had a 12 year old Keira Knightley playing Queen Amidala in multiple scenes of The Phantom Menace (she was Natalie Portman's stand-in). And Mila Kunis was only 14 when she debuted on That 70s Show. This has almost certainly led to some men feeling guilty upon learning this years later, fortunately, I was young enough at the time that being attracted to said young girls was normal, but I know for a fact my step-father said some stuff about Queen Amidala that would likely get him on a watchlist.

Nice to see Hollywood is as consistent as always here.

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  2. HoloDoc

HoloDoc Chieftain

Dear God, I hope I was a better kisser than that when I was their (purported) age.

3. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

You can follow my smother's example. One day she turned… well, an age she -let's say- definitely totally wasn't but if it was would have started with a 4 in the decimal notation system, so she decided she was in her thirty-teens. This was… an amount of time I'd better not specify ago, just in case she ever reads this.

HoloDoc likes this.
  4. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Charisma Carpenter was a fairly bad example of Dawson Casting, I agree, but you're right in that I don't watch much American TV (almost none in fact).

5. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46119393

The_J likes this.
  6. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46133262

The_J likes this.
  7. HoloDoc

HoloDoc Chieftain

8. bernie14

bernie14 Filter Manipulator

Phrossack and The_J like this.
  9. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

10. bernie14

But they only attacked if you didnt bring them coffee

11. Timsup2nothin

Office bores are always on the attack.

12. Silurian

Silurian Warlord

I sometimes walk along the beach too work, no boars.

13. bernie14

Strange, mildly humorous but comes off both a little paranoid and self aggrandizing...

14. Timsup2nothin

Speaking of always on the attack...just how committed are you?

15. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

bernie14's been committed?

16. HoloDoc

HoloDoc Chieftain

Here's a trivial story.

Honestly, if these kids are too stupid to know what the word trivial means, they shouldn't be graduating primary school, let alone high school.

17. bernie14

Voluntarily, as soon as we invade poland

18. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

Is being attracted to a 14-year-old that looks like an 18-year old really that reprehensible? Turning that scenario around: Being attracted to a granny that looks like she's in her 40s I don't think would get anyone weird looks. Going further, is being attracted to a teen as a grown man even reprehensable? Attraction is not really something we have control over. it just happens. how we act on it is something we definitely are in control of :) reminds me of this pop punk song I really liked years ago

This has absolutely nothing to do with being stupid, because knowledge is not at all the same as intelligence. It has to do with their parents and their education system failing them, and them somehow feeling entitled about having an embarrassingly small vocabulary, which in all honestly is pretty depressing. More than one thing went wrong there :lol:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Narz likes this.
  19. HoloDoc

HoloDoc Chieftain

You can be attracted to whoever you like, you're jut not allowed to do anything about it in certain situations. And rightly so, really, because teens are too young to know what they're doing. Which is why they should be caged.

I refuse to believe they went through 13 years of schooling and 18 years of life without being exposed to the word "trivial." Maybe their parents should have beaten the entitlement out of them, but the rest is on them.

20. metatron

metatron unperson

"They were silent. And before them, rising on her high pedestal from the scaling swarmy brilliance of sunlit water to the west, Liberty. The spinning disk of the late afternoon sun slanted behind her, and to those on board who gazed, her features were charred with shadow, her depths exhausted, her masses ironed to one single plane. Against the luminous sky the rays of her halo were spikes of darkness roweling the air; shadow flattened the torch she bore to a black cross against flawless light—the blackened hilt of a broken sword. Liberty."

This is from a Henry Roth's Call it Sleep and featured prominently in the centralised exams in certain states this spring.
    (I don't know how things went down with the above text but my younger self would not be surprised to encounter such a text followed by two far-reaching questions, each about 15 words long, followed by the superfluous reminder that i get 300 minutes.)

Anyway... there was all sorts of commotion about that thing; i believe a petition was filed (unsuccessfully).
    People took exception wioth the word "roweling".