Weird News III - Beyond the Bizarre

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seriously sounds as if the plant was run by a real-life Mr. Burns.

Based on the sports note, I have a sneaking suspicion that it was intentional. ;)

BBC staff fume as staff canteen BANS meat on Mondays

'They are forcing their agenda on us': BBC staff fume as their staff canteen BANS meat on Mondays 'for environmental and health reasons'
  • The canteen at BBC's HQ in Salford has taken meat off its menu every Monday
  • Staff are said to be 'outraged' by the announcement and have started a petition
  • A journalist has joked the decision to take it off the menu would result in a 'riot'

Everything is "their agenda" now.
Grow up, stop whining, and eat your damn lentils.

All depends on how much of a captive audience they have.

Interesting, the cafeteria of a large magazine next door to my building, which shall remain unnamed lest someone use the information to figure out exactly where I work, has instituted No-Meat Mondays as an option which gets you a 50% discount on your meal.

There has to be some sort of secret conference where the various NGOs of the world convene to hash out all these initiatives, right? Can't just be a coincidence...

If I'm busy at work, I won't take even 5 minutes to leave the building for an alternative. So do the people that work there not really care about their work.? ;)

Only if managed properly. Breaks aren't a guarantee of increased productivity. But I do recommend them.

Only if managed properly. Breaks aren't a guarantee of increased productivity. But I do recommend them.

I am really impulsive and most productive in spurts of nervous energy, when I'm able to take advantage of the impulsiveness, so taking a break during that causes my productivity to just go away completely.

If I'm developing I have to get up and walk away for 5-10 minutes every few hours to avoid eye strain and let my mind wander to find solutions.

BBC said:
Woman in China nearly dies after injecting herself with fruit juice
A woman in China almost died after injecting herself with liquidised fruit in a bid to be healthy.

The 51-year-old suffered liver, kidney, heart and lung damage and was put into intensive care for five days.

There were over 20 kinds of fruit in the intravenous injection, an employee at the Affiliated Hospital of Xiangnan University in Hunan told the BBC.

Social media users in China claim the case highlights the need for basic medical knowledge.

After injecting herself with the mixture, the woman had itchy skin and a rising temperature.

She was admitted to the intensive care unit of the hospital on 22 February, before being transferred to a general ward and later discharged.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-47623816

meanwhile in japan
BBC said:
Translation errors force Osaka metro websites offline
Osaka's metro network has shut down its foreign language sites after users noticed some odd translations.

Among the errors on its English page was the literal translation of Sakaisuji line as "Sakai muscle".

Many Japanese businesses are trying to make themselves accessible for foreign visitors, ahead of the rugby world cup this year and the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

Officials say they used the same Microsoft translation programme for all of the metro's non-Japanese pages.

As well as being told to take the "muscle line", passengers were advised to alight at stations called "Before the Zoo" (Dobutsuen-mae), "Powerhouse Town" (Daikokucho), "Prince Bridge Now City" (Taishibashi-Imaichi) and "World Teahouse" (Tengachaya).

"Third carriage", meanwhile, rather unsettlingly became "three eyes"
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47622639

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-mete...he-size-of-10-hiroshimas-and-we-all-missed-it

A Meteor as Powerful as 10 Nuclear Bombs Exploded in The Sky, And We All Missed It

A few months ago, on 18 December 2018, a massive airburst in the skies above Earth exploded with the equivalent of 173 kilotons of TNT.

That's over 10 times the amount released by the Hiroshima bombing (15 kilotons), and the third largest meteor explosion in over 100 years, coming in behind the 2013 Chelyabinsk explosion (440 kilotons) and the Tunguska event in 1908 (at least 3 megatons).

How on Earth do you miss such a huge explosion? Well, there wasn't anyone around to watch it happen.

It exploded above the clouds over the Bering Sea, near but not near enough to the closest land, Russia's Kamchatka Peninsula.

Misleading headlines about nuclear bomb-equivalent energy yields ftw! 176 kilotons may be about 10 Hiroshimas but it's actually around a tenth of the energy released by most modern warheads.

Have you guys tried this "Florida man" challenge? It's where you go to Google and type in "Florida man" followed by the month and day of your birthday and see what crazy news story from the state of Florida pops up. I thought this would be the appropriate place for this since this is a thread about weird news. For me I got this:

http://time.com/2811079/man-arrested-for-throwing-cheeseburger-at-pregnant-woman/

Man Arrested For Throwing Cheeseburger At Pregnant Woman

A Florida man turned himself in to the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office announcing, “I have problems.” The man has problems, and no cheeseburger is one. Anger management is another.
23-year old Taylor Allen Stephens was arrested for throwing a cheeseburger into the face of a pregnant family member and then shoving her to the ground during an argument on May 23rd. He fled the scene after the incident, but eventually returned to face the consequences of his crime.
Stephens turned himself into the police where he was charged with aggravated battery against the woman, after a witness corroborated the victim’s account.
This is not the first time that a Florida man has assaulted a woman with a cheeseburger. In 2008, a man was charged with domestic violence for shoving his cheeseburger into his girlfriend’s face. In 2011, another Florida man was charged with a misdemeanor for throwing a cheeseburger at a car in a McDonald’s drive thru. Police found a “large spot of ketchup measuring 6 inches by 6 inches on the side of the victim’s vehicle and cheeseburger pieces on the hood” that could be traced back to the culprit.

I tried that for Oct 28 and for a guy trying to blow up target stores. Then I changed forida to wisonsin and got (further down the list) a guy was locked in a walk in beer cooler at a gas station. Rather than call for help he stayed put and partied.....

Have you guys tried this "Florida man" challenge? It's where you go to Google and type in "Florida man" followed by the month and day of your birthday and see what crazy news story from the state of Florida pops up. I thought this would be the appropriate place for this since this is a thread about weird news. For me I got this:

http://time.com/2811079/man-arrested-for-throwing-cheeseburger-at-pregnant-woman/

MERRITT ISLAND, Florida — A Florida man is facing Federal charges after he allegedly placed an ad on Craigslist to sell counterfeit cash.

The investigation began in February after the Brevard County Sheriff’s Office received a Crimeline tip that an individual on Craigslist was selling counterfeit currency under an ad titled, “Legit Counterfeit $$.”

According to BCSO, agents then conducted three undercover purchases from 20-year-old Tony Jerome Torbert, Jr. of Merritt Island over the past month. On Thursday, April 8, Torbert, Jr. was arrested after allegedly completing a fourth sale and charged with possession of counterfeit currency with intent to defraud. While Torbert Jr. was being arrested, a search warrant was executed at his residence. Agents say that a printer, counterfeit currency, and a computer were among the evidentiary items seized during the search.

The United States Secret Service was contacted during the local investigation. Agents from Secret Service then assisted the Sheriff’s Office in the culmination of the investigation. The charge carries a possible 20-year Federal Prison sentence. Torbert was arraigned in Federal Court on Friday where he was subsequently released on bond.

The Sheriff’s Office asks that anyone with further information about this Investigation to please call Agent Chris Sauro of the Brevard County Sheriff’s Office Economic Crimes Task Force at 321-633-8410 or CRIMELINE at 1-800-423-TIPS (8477). All calls to CRIMELINE are confidential and callers can remain anonymous and be eligible for a reward.

Brain trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom