Weird News III - Beyond the Bizarre

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was the 1963 Peerage Act which made you unable to vote in the Commons if you had a hereditary title; now such a title no longer automatically entitles you to a seat in the Lords (under the 1999 Act), so you can sit in the Commons if elected.

Correct as I linked.

more seriously, you're prevented from sitting in the Commons if you have a hereditary title that entitles you to sit in the Lords or if it's too crowded in there
QFT. ;)

But IRL there are imbeciles who still teach ‘British law’ and insist on going on about the Law Lords, etc. before tacking on a ‘but it all stopped in 2010 when there was this shiny new act for a Supreme Court thingy so really I've just made you waste a month’ right before an exam.
:cringe:

It's a shame that it's not a head at each end, then it would be a real-life amphisbaena.

BBC said:
Mirror, cetacean, manoeuvre: Army helps move whale to lab
A dead whale was moved from a beach where it stranded to a laboratory in Inverness on the back of an army lorry.

The 6.4m-long (21ft) minke whale was too long for the 5m (16ft) long truck and its tail dangled off the back.

The young female animal died after stranding at Ardersier on Tuesday night last week.

It had to be moved to Scottish Marine Animal Strandings Scheme's (SMASS) lab quickly to give scientists the best chance to find out why it stranded.

Soldiers of the 3rd Battalion, Royal Regiment of Scotland, based at Fort George, near Ardersier, assisted in the transporting of the whale, which was securely strapped down on the back of one the battalion's trucks.

SMASS said the whale would have made for "quite a sight" as it was driven along the A96 and through Inverness to the laboratory.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-45630725

They should have taken it by whale-weigh station.

BBC said:
Original working Apple-I computer fetches $375,000 at auction

An Apple-I computer, the first product made by the computing giant, has sold at auction for $375,000 (£230,000).

The machine was designed by Steve Wozniak, known as Woz, the co-founder of Apple.

His business partner, Steve Jobs, convinced him to package and sell the machine - it went on sale in 1976 for $666.66.

It is one of only a handful of fully-functioning models known to be in existence today.

"The Apple-I was ghastly underpowered compared to the Apple-II," said Mr Wozniak in an email to the BBC on Tuesday.

"But this Apple-I computer showed the world the formula for an affordable USEFUL computer."
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-45647449

So dude finds his elderly neighbor has died. Rather than report this sad event to any sort of authority he just uses her flat as a convenient shopping source, borrowing batteries, condiments, and other odds and ends at need...for two freakin' years!!!! Of course, among other things borrowed is a debit card, on which ran up about seven thousand dollars worth of purchases at the local Dominoes Pizza.

My grandmother found someone who had been dead for six weeks.
I suppose after two years it would not be so bad.

My grandmother found someone who had been dead for six weeks.
I suppose after two years it would not be so bad.
I would hope your grandma didn't use their debit card. Or if she did, at least spent it on something better than Domino's.

I doubt she every used a cash machine and the only domino's was the game.

BBC said:
Dublin Airport plane-chasing passenger charged

A passenger has been pinned to the ground by police at Dublin Airport after running out of the terminal towards a plane and shouting at the pilot to wait.

Patrick Kehoe, 23, made it to the taxiing Ryanair aircraft before police arrested him at about 07:00 local time.

He has been charged with criminal damage to a door lock and granted bail.

A ground crew member said he "just ran from the building towards the plane", which was departing for Amsterdam.

The Irish man was "quite determined" to make his flight, an eyewitness told Irish broadcaster RTÉ, adding that he ran towards the plane "with his suitcase under his arm".
Mr Kehoe, of Raheenaskeagh, Gorey in County Wexford, was brought before Dublin's district court later on Thursday morning.

There were no objections to bail, and Mr Kehoe was released on his own bond of €200 (£178). He is to appear again on 8 November.

Mr Kehoe covered his face with a folder and shouted abuse at waiting journalists as he left the court, before swinging his suitcase at the crowd and lowering his trousers to expose his backside.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45663321

BBC said:
Canada woman loses snoring row complaint with neighbours

A Canadian woman who complained of harassment after her landlords urged her to seek help for her snoring has lost her case.

The woman had taken her landlords to Quebec's rental board seeking a rent reduction over the dispute.

The board's tribunal said her excessive snoring could not be considered a normal level of noise expected in an apartment complex.

It also said she was wrong to refuse to see a doctor about her snoring.

The problems began in September 2016, when the Quebec City woman got a call at 03:00 local time (07:00 GMT) from her landlords saying her downstairs neighbours had complained about snores emanating from her unit, according to the decision released this month.

In October, they showed up at her door to try and find a solution to the situation. They asked the tenant about her health and brought her two boxes of products meant to reduced snoring.

The next day, the tenant found a card on her door with doctor's appointment slip and an attached note saying: "take care of yourself".
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45647070

So dude finds his elderly neighbor has died. Rather than report this sad event to any sort of authority he just uses her flat as a convenient shopping source, borrowing batteries, condiments, and other odds and ends at need...for two freakin' years!!!! Of course, among other things borrowed is a debit card, on which ran up about seven thousand dollars worth of purchases at the local Dominoes Pizza.

If the guy didn't have relatives, then this is actually not even that morally reprehensible (at least IMHO).

He essentially stole $7000 from his deceased neighbour and you don't think that's morally reprehensible?? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom