[GS] Weird Road Art Now?

Bleser

Prince
I almost posted this in bug reports but maybe there is confirmation that this change is by design - does anyone know? Basically a road between point A and point B is now not only the expected road connecting the two but also road spurs that splinter off in multiple directions on each tile. My screen shot shows what I'm talking about. It just makes the map look messy; anyone know if this was intentional?

Previously you would get these same spurs only if there was something to connect to in the adjacent tile.

Attachments

• Weird Roads.jpg
    Weird Roads.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 417
I assume it's a bug or oversight and hope it gets fixed. It looks atrocious.

If you have a closer look on the road's endings, it's quite clear that they "fade out" before they reach the end of the tile.
Imo, this can only be achieved by deliberate art design.

Hence, I am afraid the new roads work as intendend and their "thorniness" is not a bug.
I can even understand that blind roads to subdue the surrounding land make sense, somehow.

But: a sad smiley :(, because I am not a fan of it either.

Edit: The fact that districts are not attached propperly any more might be a bug, though.

Last edited:
Is it me only or does anyone else think this and other little things as careless? Even if it is a bug, it’s so obvious that so many are experiencing it that it was bound to be seen prior to release by the test teams. So, did they just ship it as is because of a deadline? I wouldn’t imagine that it just happened after release.

Is it me only or does anyone else think this and other little things as careless? Even if it is a bug, it’s so obvious that so many are experiencing it that it was bound to be seen prior to release by the test teams. So, did they just ship it as is because of a deadline? I wouldn’t imagine that it just happened after release.
You get used to it. There aren't enough testers it seems.

In addition to the spurs, there are more disconnects between tiles with improvements and wonders, so it's much harder to visually see what path the roads follow.

I'm guessing that it's an intentional change that was some kind of compromise to allow for new features (such as canals, dams, etc.). But I agree that it looks terrible and it's a substantial downgrade.

I definitely think there's a bug component. Check this pictures:

upload_2019-3-8_11-19-40.png

upload_2019-3-8_11-19-51.png

The only road was from Rome (lower part) to Velitrae. The game pre-emptively marked all potential crossings, even though there were no trade routes. This effect happened in vanilla when you launched a trade route, as the trader later connected them. But this one happens from the start. The more cities you have, to more potential connects, the more spaghetti the roads become until the system breaks down.

I agree that the lack of roads around districts might be intended, but it's definitely a bad change since you can have roads or railroads, and you can't tell which are which. They definitely should have scaled down a bit the visual of districts and add space for roads around them.

Top Bottom