Welcome Center and Q&A

Cyc

Looking for the door...
Welcome to the Civilization C3C Game of Democracy, the Revival Game. You have entered the lands of (to be announced), a self-determining democracy. Feel free to browse around to get a feel for the land or jump right in with our guided tour:

Our first stop is the Main Forum. This is where critical items such as the rules and Judicial Log are located. Let's stop at the Citizen Registry where you can become a Revivaler by making a simple post. In this forum we also have The Constituion and the Code of Laws. These are the rules of the game. A companion to the rules is The Judicial Log. This is where our Chief Justice posts official clarifications on the rules. You'll also find a handy place to post Needed Stuff when you need a Moderator's help. Nominations for our elected offices and the elections of those nominated will also be posted here. But this is not a place to be starting threads or discussions. If any thread is marked "Not for Discussion", then you shouldn't post there. This guideline applies to all DG forums , really.

Our second stop is the Citizen's Sub-Forum. This is the place to go for conversations on all of the game's topics. Looks pretty busy, doesn't it? It's easy to keep track of new conversations by subscribing to the Discussion Registry thread. You can also take a look at our Citizen Groups. These are where people with similar game goals gather to discuss strategy, lobbying and how to get their goals going. Perhaps you'd like to joing a group? But remember, there are no political parties allowed in this DemoGame.

Our Goverment sub-forum contains all of the office threads of our Leaders. Every Term (1 Term equals 1 Month) will have the Leaders posting threads for their newly elected office. The Budget thread may also be here. You can't keep the government out of the piggy bank even in a virtual world! Each High Court elected will also have their own thread. Any Government entity should have a thread here. These threads are for the elected official to communicate with the public about the goals of the office, plans for the nation, decisions by the court, etc. Citizens can also post questions to officials in the official's thread.

The Polls Sub-Forum is where you'll find all of our...eh...polls. Citizens and Leaders alike post polls here to find public opinion, propose changes to the rules and make decisions for the game. Just like the Citizen forum, this one has a Registry to make keeping up with new polls much easier. Just subscribe to the registry thread and you'll be informed whenever somebody registers their poll.

Last, but certainly not least, is our RPG Sub-Forum. Here you can find the Role Playing Game that is a companion to the DemoGame itself as well as Heritage Threads such as our newspaper and art galleries. You'll also find offices for our Non-Elected Officials and threads for many of our individual Cities.

We hope that you've enjoyed your tour and that you will stay with us for a while. Below, you'll find a tidy meta index that includes all the links from your tour in a handy alphabetic list. Below that is our Q&A area where we are more than happy to answer any questions you may have about our country (To Be Announced), its people (TBA) or the game that they all live within.

(reserved for the Meta Index)

This post is a collection of the questions being asked in the game. Periodically, we will gather the questions that have been posed and put them in this thread.

Please feel free to post your questions in this thread. The only foolish question is the one that goes unasked.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q. Where is the [insert name] thread that was in the CIVDemogame?
A. There has been a good amount of reorganization for this game. Check through the Welcome Center or Meta Index to find your missing thread.

Q. What Tribe is civilization based on?
A. We are actually discussing which tribe will represent us in the actual Civ3 game. The discussion is in the Citizen's sub-forum.

Q. Why aren't there any political parties?
A. The populous as a whole does not want them. Each democracy game that has used political parties has had serious problems because of parties.

Q. Does the democracy game have a web site?
A. Not yet, but that's a great idea. We'd love to see one get started that would include all DemoGames. To participate in construction of the site and to give feedback, just start or join a discussion about it.

Q. Where can I find info on the cities, ie what they have, what they're building and also our total income expenses, what they're made of, and all the resources we have and we are are importing or exporting.
A. Each city should have its own thread. You can find an index of the cities in the RPG sub-forum. Stats for the entire civ can be found in the Historical Statistics and Turn Chat Schedule thread. Import and export information can be found in the Trade Department thread. See the Government Thread Index to find the Trade Department thread for the current term.

Q. What cities are available to move to? What provinces?
A. Geographic information can be found in the Screenshot thread for now. We will all start off in the Capital city (still to be named) and if desired, migrate from there.

Q. What is a chat turn and how do I participate?
A. A chat turn is when the President or Designated Player (DP) plays out the actual game using the instructions posted by the various leaders. This is done with input and feedback from leaders and citizens in an IRC channel. The host for this chanel is irc.webmaster.com and the room is #turnchat.

Q. What is a mayor? I can't find them in the constitution. Do ALL cities have mayors? Who appoints them?
A. A mayor is an unelected officer that looks after a single city. There are no specific rules for becoming a mayor. Often, mayors are appointed by the governor of their province. Any citizen may request from a Governor a Mayorship of any city in that Governor's Province. But that would normally require moving to that city.

Q. How do I get a public position?
A. Elections are held each month for all of the leadership positions. Nominations begin on the 24th and elections end at the end of the month with new terms always beginning on the 1st. Self nomination is allowed so all you need to do to get into the process is post a nomination for yourself in the appropriate nomination thread when it opens.

Q. What is an official and how do I get to be one?
A. An official is a citizen who helps a leader run a department by managing a particular aspect of the game, gathering and collating information or other helpful and necessary tasks. Officials are generally appointed by the various leaders. To become a leader you can request the position in a vacant office or offer your services in a new office.

Q. As soon as i register for a city, am i automatically there, regardless of anything else?
A. Yes. If you are playing in the RPG game as well, you will automatically get a small home there as well.

Q. When is each turn chat? Can any citizen participate?
A. The current turn chat schedule can be found in the Historical Statistics and Turn Chat Index thread. All citizens are welcome to particpate in the turn chats.

Q. Where can i get a copy of the latest saved game?
A. The saved games are kept in the turn chat instruction threads. To find the most recent turn chat instruction thread see the Historical Statistics and Turn Chat Index thread.

Q. Do you have to be a citizen before you can apply for a government job?
A. Yes, you must be a citizen before you can apply for a job or participate in the RPG.

Q. How often are turns done?
A. Normally there are 2 or 3 chats per week. Approximately 10 turns are played during each chat.

Q. As a mayor, do I need to attend the turn chats, or should I just discuss things with my governor?
A. There are no requirements for any official or leader to attend the turn chats. As a mayor, your authority comes from and through the governor so you will not be able to issue directives in the turn chat. You can, of course, provide feedback and ideas.

Q. I would like to volunteer my city to prebuild for a spaceship part (any project for that matter) or wonder. How would I alert the national government without stepping on anyone's toes?
A. Contact your provincial governor. The governor can coordinate with the Domestic Deputy to allow construction of these special restricted improvements.

Here's an additional Q&A post put together by Chieftess in DG6 that pretty much still applies here.

This is the FAQ thread for the demogame.

What is a demogame? - Simply put, a demogame is a game where a group of people discuss and poll the actions of the game. The Designated Player (typically the President) plays about 10 turns, carrying out the actions posted in the TCIT (Turnchat Instruction Thread).

What version of Civ3 is going to be used? - We are using Civ3 Conquests v1.22. This means that if you have an earlier version of Civ3 Conquests, it won't work. This is for multiple reasons (including PBEM, corruption model, etc.). There may or may not be an additional patch.

What is the history of the Demogame? - The Demogame was started by TheDuckOfFlanders in a thread in the Off Topic forum back in 2001. There have been 5 previous demogames. Most of the origanal players have since left, but you can still view the old demogames in the archives.

What is a turnchat and TCIT? - A turnchat is where citizens can observe the president playing the game. A TCIT is where elected officials post their instructions. Citizens posting instructions are not valid.

How do I register? - You can register in this thread. You must register before you can run for office.

How do I get elected? - At the end of every month, there are nominations for positions in the demogame. You can nominate yourself, or have someone nominate you. You accept by posting "Accept" in the nomination thread. Be sure to read the Constitution on nominations and positions. Offices descriptions are in the Election Office thread in the Government Sub-Forum.

Great, I got elected! Now what do I do? - You start by posting a thread in the Government sub-forum for the position you were elected for. You also link to the previous term thread in your first post. When the term ends, link to the next thread when it becomes available.

What are Citizen's Groups? - These are groups that help push for a certain goal in the demogame. These are not political groups. In fact, political groups are banned from the demogame. What you could do is make a group that says, "Our goal is to collect all the horses on our continent", or "Our goal is to control the east side of the continent". You can not, however, tell people who to vote for, etc.

Where can I find the latest save? - Gamesaves are held in the official GameSaves thread. This thread are stickied in the Government sub-forum. You'll also find them in the Turnchat Instruction thread, which will post the previous turnchat.

Where can I find a summary of previous saves? I don't want to read every turnchat log! - You can find summaries in the Turnchat Instruction Thread, along with screenshots. Even if you don't have Civ3 Conquests, you can still gather information from here.

I came too late to be nominated. How can I still participate in the government? - Asside from citizen groups, you can be the mayor of a city. City threads are in the Goverment sub-forum, and you can post a link to your city in the City Index Thread.

What is the Demogame RPG? - The Demogame RPG is a place to role-play daily life in the life of the civilization that we play. There are typically storyline threads based on the current game. Sometimes, there are forum games in the RPG thread that are based off of the current gamesave (i.e., a boat race, Medeavil Tourneyments, etc)

I see a lot of polls are closed. Why is that? - Most polls have an end date, typically 2-3 days. This is because these polls are used for instructions in the turnchats.

Is there a Demogame Website? - There used to be but it no longer exists. We'd like to see another on go up if you have any ideas.

I don't have to sign up for other websites or have civ III open to participate in the turnchat, do I?
No to both, you can access the chat using the CFC chat client linked at the top of the page (Home, MyAccount, Downloads, Gallery, Links, Chat, FAQ etc), nothing to sign up for there. Screenies will be posted during the chat so you can see what is going on without having to have Civ open, saves are usually posted every 5 turns, so if you WANT to have Civ open you can look at those you can, but it is not essential.

excellent, cuz i really don't feel like signing up for another site, and my computer has not been recognizing disks, so i can't play civ! :cry:
Thank you, Furiey :goodjob:

That's correct, civplayah. I'm going to go practice now.

Actually, We should have had donsig name our first Province, as we started in a Province. We can split the land of Hibernia up in several different ways. DaveShack has started a discussion thread on this.

Top Bottom