Welcome Center, Meta Index, FAQ, and Q&A

Octavian X

is not a pipe.
Welcome, my friend, to the Civilization III Game of Democracy III here at CivFanatics' Center! This is the realm of Fanatica, where the dreams of many come true. The nation is a democracy in the truest sense of the word - all power lies within the people. Feel free to read the rest of this guide - something we recommend - or just to jump right into the action.

First up on this tour is the first forum on your right - The Main Democracy Game (DG) forum. The first thing you need to do here is register - a note in the Citizen's Registry (preferably in the format of the first post) is all you need to do to make yourself a citizen of the Empire. The forum holds all information critical to the game, such as maps, save games for public viewing, and elections. For a better understanding of how the game works, read The Constitution in this forum. Lastly, but by no means unimportant, is the Needed Things thread. This is a central place for communicating with our moderators.

Now, let's go on to the place where you'll likely spend the majority of your time during your stay. The Citizen's Forum is the place for all discussion concerning the game, and is for organizing citizen's groups. If you plan on leaving for a while, leave a message in the Absence thread so we know if you plan of leaving for a while. Opening a new discussion, or trying to find one to participate in? The Discussion Registry is where you need to look. Do you want to create or join a citizen's group? The Citizen Group Index and Registry, as it's name suggests, would be the best place to look.

The Government Forum is the central forum for all government activity. Here you'll find various threads by all our elected officials, which serve as excellent way to get in contact with them. The various indices in this forum will help you get around.

We stash all our polls in the Poll Forum (duh!). The Poll Index has information on current polls.

Lastly, there's the creative side of our democracy game - The RPG. Here, various people take part in a Roll Playing Game that mimics the events of the actual CivIII game that we democracy gamers play. This forum holds all sorts of stuff, so just read a few threads there to get to know you're way around.

We hope you've enjoyed our little tour. If you still have question, there's a Q&A in the following posts of this thread. Please, feel free to ask any questions you wish (as long as they are connected to the democracy game. ;)) We Fanaticans are always glad to help.

Here, you'll find the answers to frequently asked questions.

Q. Where is the [insert name] thread that was in a previous democracy game?
A. There has been a good amount of reorganization for this game. Check through the Welcome Center or Meta Index (first 2 posts in this thread) to find your missing thread.

Q. What civ is Fanatika based on?
A. We are using the Roman tribe to represent us in the actual Civ3 game.

Q. Why aren't there any political parties?
A. The populous as a whole does not want them. Each democracy game that has used political parties has had serious problems because of parties.

Q. Where can I find info on the cities, ie what they have, what they're building and also our total income expenses, what they're made of, and all the resources we have and we are are importing or exporting?
A. Each city has its own thread. You can find an index of the cities here. Import and export information can be found in the Trade Department thread. See the Government Forum to find the Trade Department thread for the current term.

Q. What cities are available to move to? What provinces?
A. All cities are open to new residents. Please feel free to move around the Empire as you wish.

Q. What is a chat turn and how do I participate?
A. A chat turn is when the President or Designated Player (DP) plays out the actual game using the instructions posted by the various leaders. This is done with input and feedback from leaders and citizens in an IRC channel. The host for this chanel is irc.irc-chat.com and the room is #demogame. For more information, see the Chat Office Thread.

Q. What is a mayor? I can't find them in the constitution. Do ALL cities have mayors? Who appoints them?
A. A mayor is an unelected officer that looks after a single city. There are no specific rules for becoming a mayor. The position can simply be taken if there is no competition for the spot. Often, mayors are appointed by the governor of their province.

Q. How do I get a public position?
A. Elections are held each month for all of the leadership positions. Nominations begin on the 24th and elections end at the end of the month with new terms always beginning on the 1st. Self nomination is allowed so all you need to do to get into the process is post a nomination for yourself in the appropriate nomination thread when it opens.

Q. What is an official and how do I get to be one?
A. An official is a citizen who helps a leader run a department by managing a particular aspect of the game, gathering and collating information or other helpful and necessary tasks. Officials are generally appointed by the various leaders. To become a leader you can request the position in a vacant office or offer your services in a new office.

Q. As soon as i register for a city, am I automatically there, regardless of anything else?
A. Well, yes.

Q. When is each turn chat? Can any citizen participate?
A. In the main forum, there is always a sticked thread with information on when the upcoming turn chat will be. Often, the Presidential thread in the Government forum will have a schedule of chats for the month

Q. Where can i get a copy of the latest saved game?
A. The saved games are kept in the turn chat instruction threads. To find the most recent turn chat instruction thread, see the sticky thread in this main forum with the words 'turn chat' in it.

Q. Do you have to be a citizen before you can apply for a government job?
A. Yes, you must be a citizen before you can apply for a job or participate in the RPG.

Q. How often are turns done?
A. Normally there are 2 or 3 chats per week. Approximately 10 turns are played during each chat.

Q. As a mayor, do I need to attend the turn chats, or should I just discuss things with my governor?
A. There are no requirements for any official or leader to attend the turn chats. As a mayor, your authority comes from and through the governor so you will not be able to issue directives in the turn chat. You can, of course, provide feedback and ideas.

Q. I would like to volunteer my city to prebuild for a spaceship part or wonder. How would I alert the national government without stepping on anyone's toes?
A. Contact your provincial governor. The governor can coordinate with the Domestic Deputy to allow construction of these special restricted improvements.

Commonly Used Acronyms
DG, demogame = Game of Democracy
CoC = Chain of Command
CON = Constitution
CoL = Code of Laws
CoS = Code of Standards
FA = Foreign Affairs
PDX = the airport in Portland, Oregon
CJ = Cheif Justices
PD = Public Defender
JA = Judge Advocate
PI = Public Investigation
TC = Turn Chat

Nicknames
CT = Chieftess
CG = CivGeneral
DZ = Donavon Zoi
EA = Ehecatl Atzin
AJ = Almightyjosh
SAAM = Stuck_as_a_Mac
Falc = Falcon02
Shai = Shaitan
Nold = Noldodan
Oct = Octavian X
Ekl = Eklektikos
Fionn = FionnMcCumhall
Civ = Civanator
Dis = disorganizer
40J, Forty = FortyJ
boots = bootstoos
Fier = Fier Canadaian

Are you still lost and confused, or just looking for a friendly face? This is the place to post any and all questions you may have. Someone is always here to give an answer to those in need.

Straight from the fist turn chat thread. ;)

World Size - Large
Barbarians - Random
Land Mass - Continents
Water Coverage - 60%
Climate - Random
Temperature - Random
Age - Random
Civilization - Random
Rivals - Default
Rules - Default
Difficulty - Monarch
Mod: