1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome New Members

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by ainwood, Oct 14, 2005.

1. paulmcc

paulmcc Chieftain

Hi all!

I have played Civ since the first edition was issued - so long ago it was simply called CIV! My copy came in a 2-disk box with "Worms". I never played that game in the 15 years since I got it - thank goodness I played CIV first!

I skipped Civ 2 and played Civ 3 for a long time, till every tile on all the worlds had been built upon.

I treated myself a few years ago to Civ IV Complete and, apart from a lull of a couple of years, have been a BTS addict since.

All sorts of mods played, especially Rhye's Fall and Rise, but generally come back to the basic scenarios and maps.

Have still huge amounts to learn and having been lurking round the forums for a long time, I know this is where to learn how to improve.

I just wonder why it took me so long to find out how good Willem and his dikes are on watery maps!

Haven't got CIV V yet as I know my PC couldn't take it, being powered by elastic bands as it is!

2. samsonmj

samsonmj Chieftain

Hi Everyone

3. Coyotek4

Coyotek4 Chieftain

Just found out about this site recently.

First got into the original Civ back in the early 90s (had no instructions; self-taught myself during my HS days). Got Civ2 when it came out, but then drifted away from the series (and computer-gaming in general) for many years.

Early this year, I got to play the (most recent) boardgame version of Sid Meier's Civ. (For the record, I'm also a regular poster at BoardGameGeek.com) My joy with that game led me to want to get back into playing Civ. I had a choice of which version to get, and I opted for Civ4. (Being cheap, and not sure if I'd have problems working the game on Vista, I got the 'vanilla' Civ4 for $20; in retrospect, shelling out the extra $20 for the whole package would have been better, but I have no regrets.) Been playing it a ton ever since; not a day has gone by that I haven't either played it, or scoped out tips on sites like this one.

I was never that good at Civ or Civ2, and I think I know why now: too little focus on my army (I'm perpetually lagging on Power), too much focus on buildings and 'oooh, shiny' Wonders (I'm also perpetually way up on Culture). I've been able to win at Warlord (not consistently) but stymied at Noble. Finding and perusing JujuLautre's "Winning Noble" treatise has been most helpful; my current game (playing Cathy, I love the Creative/Financial combo + Cossacks) is going better than I've ever done before. More successes like that, and I'll see if I can handle Prince.

I'll be hanging around the Civ4 section mostly, looking for anything that'll help. Glad to be a part of this, if a bit late (like 5 years). :)

4. Daer_zm

Daer_zm Chieftain

Hi everyone!

I finally got myself to register and become a somewhat contributing member of the Civilization community.
    The first version of the series that I got my hands on was CivIV + BTS about 3 years ago, and I soon found that this game offers a kind of gaming experience I was looking for for a long time. Shame on me for not being aware of the quality of the Civ franchise before, but everyone has to start somewhere, right? :)
    Tried out several mods over the years, and, as with all other games I play, about 4 weeks ago I started modding BTS on XML level for personal use. Now I wish to share my (trivial) ideas with the community, and gather some new ones on the way.
    By the way, I have played a few games of Civ5, reverted back to Civ4 and never looked back.

So, again, Hello!

5. estumpf

estumpf Chieftain

Hello -- enjoying Civ 5 and the many helpful remarks on this site.

6. JaGarLo

JaGarLo Settler

Hi there. I'm new at this forum. The name's JaGarLo, and well, I really suck at Civ. But I'm pleased to meet you all! ;)

7. Bathyskaff

Bathyskaff reality researcher

Hello to all fanatics of the greatest game in whole the world!I've been played in CivIIIConquest about 8 years and about 3 years that I've started to create the new scenarios of CivIII.Maybe some of these would be interesting for community!

8. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

9. IB Clever

IB Clever Chieftain

Hi Everyone, I'm new with Civ.....anyway, good to be here.

10. Folkesito

Folkesito Chieftain

Hi all, finally registered today. Have been reading a lot in the strategy thread for some time. Get a lot of useful hints from there.

11. Save_Ferris

Save_Ferris Admiring Myself

Hey, I played a bit of civ 4 but never got far. So far I am at warlord level on Civ V.

12. Bathyskaff

Bathyskaff reality researcher

Hello to all fanatics!I'm from Kievan Rus and I've got some new scenarios for C3C for community:paraguay War,Chincha Islas War 1864-1883;Pacific War 1879-1883;Age of Bismarck;French Invasion in Mexico;War of Independence 1775-83;War of 1812(US).I'll try to put them although they have such a big size (more than 100 MB).Maybe someone can give me a hand to find a "place" for them?

13. Hinenuitepo

Hinenuitepo Chieftain

Howdy.
    Just picked up CiV at the Apple store end of Jan. Never played Civ before; having fun so far. Started by playing a different civ each time and worked up from Prince to Immortal. Trying to find a good overall understanding of the game. Won my first Immortal as Darius, have lost a few times trying a few different strats (GS generator, strict ICS, scrambed eggs heh), but will improve over time. Anyways, just having fun!

14. balthazaar

balthazaar Chieftain

Hey all, first post since joining in 2008, better late than never eh :)

15. xDuke

xDuke Chieftain

Hi, everybody,

16. levit

levit Chieftain

Hello everyone. Another long time lurker, first time poster. Still playing Civ as always!

17. Jim1961

Jim1961 Chieftain

Hi everyone. I've been playing Civ4 for several months and am still trying to figure out some things so i decided it's time to sign on to this forum

18. Raukman

Raukman Chieftain

Hello! New here. Have played Civ from time to time since Civ3.

19. Malquest

Malquest Chieftain

New Member. Hello all :) I'm glad to see Civ lV and V are close. I'm playing Civ lll and Conquests and the World, all by Civ lll. I'm glad and intend looking into Civ lV to assess on determination to purchase. I'm hoping Civ V is really to my liking and intelligently and appropriately relative and challenging_
    I'm continuing to Play Civilisation and am gradually improving I hope_
    Thankyou for this forum area. I hope to learn here.

20. bluthgeld

bluthgeld Chieftain