1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome New Members

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by ainwood, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Hetoup2

Hetoup2 Chieftain

Hey everyone! I know it's hard getting into a civ 5 multiplayer game so I wanted to post my stream here so that if any of you would like to come get into some games and get better or learn a bit feel free to stop by and say hi! www.twitch.tv/hetoup2 we also have a group that you can join if you're in need of other players to play with thank you everyone!!

2. Kirin Rider

Kirin Rider Chieftain

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to register. I've been playing the Civilization series of games ever since Civ I in 1992. I played a lot of I and II, some III and IV, and now I'm focusing on V. I still have a soft spot for some aspects of IV, especially the random events, the vastly improved diplomacy, and the rock-paper-scissors aspect of combat, i.e., units specialized against other types of units, which could be stacked together for protection.

I was slow to warm to V, especially 1UPT and the "randomized" or "chaotic stupid" AI approach to diplomacy, but I've been won over by the gorgeous graphics, the city-state system, the sheer number of unique civilizations, and the tremendous number of options available through religion, trade routes, and the World Council. The monotony that crept into earlier versions of Civ is gone.

I must be the only player who learned V by winning the Polynesia "Paradise" scenario four times in a row, once with each faction. :lol:

I mostly play on King level because I'm still learning, and I like to have the flexibility to try suboptimal strategies or policy choices, especially role-playing. If I play Egypt I will open Liberty just to build the Pyramids :egypt: and if I am Japan you can bet that I will go for Himeji Castle and Shinto. :ninja:

Immortal and Deity seem to be like playing grandmaster level chess, where every move is planned out in advance and there is only one winning strategy. That does not sound like much fun to me.

Anyway, I hope I can learn more about this game before VI comes out!

3. Giraffeguin

Giraffeguin Chieftain

Hello! New Civ player so far but it's a game I always wanted to play just ... I am really bad at playing all the games I own. Now that I am playing it, it has consumed my life and that's not good considering I have a job to keep!

But I love it. I'm on my fourth game and still learning so sure I will have questions in the future.
    (Won first game in Domination, Lost second due to time limit, third one I turned off time limit but won before it with Science. Reloaded an earlier save to try out the other types of victories - learned Diplomatic victory is pretty easy - at least on Prince. )

4. Vortilex

Vortilex Imperator Mundi

Hi everybody! :band:

I just realized the computer icon in Civ V is an IBM DOS PC...it took me long enough to realize that :p

5. Horsemask

Horsemask Chieftain

Hi! I've lurked the site since the CIV 3 days, but just registered today. Got back into Civ with the release of the 5th game, and love it! I'm not looking at Beyond Earth, but I'll be playing Civ 5 for awhile!

6. Oopsyscoops

Oopsyscoops Chieftain

Hey there, all. Oopsyscoops here for the first time. I'm probably a newbie by most people's standards, as I joined the Civ phenomenon with Civ5: G&K. I've used this site so often for reference that I figured I might as well have an account on here so that I may talk to all of you lovely folks about this awesome game =) From what I've seen, the community for this game [and series as a whole] is one of the better ones out there-being both informative and accepting. I would be honored to be considered a part of such a fanbase. That's about it, I guess. I'll see you all out in the sea of replies!

Cheers,
    Oopsyscoops

7. Lothe

Lothe Chieftain

Hi all,

I bought Civ V with all the DLC during a recent Steam sale, and have put in just shy of 100 hours since then. I understand that in Civ terms this makes me a neophyte, but I'm sure having a heck of a lot of fun learning how things work and discovering the sheer, mind-boggling number of ways to play the game.

I have a tendency to register for forms and then not visit them real often, or to just lurk--but as long as Civ V has its claws in me, I guess I'll be around. And that looks like it could be a long, long time.

-Lothe

8. NotJim

NotJim Chieftain

Hi,

I've been playing Civ V on and off over the past year, maybe two - but only really tried stepping up my game in the past few months (as I hop from addiction to addiction) once I purchased BNW during the summer sale. Looking to improve my understanding of my game here. :)

9. Mark_Randell

Mark_Randell Chieftain

Hi I'm new to civ 5, where to start?, help

10. Mark_Randell

Mark_Randell Chieftain

11. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

12. Mark_Randell

Mark_Randell Chieftain

Ok thankyou, i think it's more game play really

13. Shaileen

Shaileen Chieftain

Hello there! Name's Marco and i am from Italy. Today i've decided to came out and stop lurking only, so..here i am :)
    Civ V is the only title i've played so far (in fact i've started with BNW), but i felt in love with it. In the last year or so, i played it for more than 400h, and i recently moved to Emperor recently, without any issues: 9/9 victory.

I've tried many times to stop playing it (you know, one...more...turn..! aaand the evening's gone), but i smply can't. Too bad my friends do not share my passion :(

14. Mark_Randell

Mark_Randell Chieftain

I will have to wait to get BE as I've still so much to get to know with civ 5 even though most have exhausted it?

15. yogaman

yogaman Chieftain

- Hello everyone
    - Everyone : hello Yogaman
    - I am a former addict (of civ2) doing a relapse...

I am French, please excuse my english.
    And my pseudo is from a time at which I was a yoga teacher. A student call me "YogaMan". It stucks to me until today...

Christophe

16. MrBergman

MrBergman Chieftain

heyho! id like to play civ online. no matter what kind of type of play, but reliable people. we can arrange games. its quite difficult to get into an online game ;) so write me a msg to add you as a buddy. greets

17. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Moderator Action: It's been 4 good years in the Civ5 forums, during which time our membership has expanded greatly. With Beyond Earth to be released tomorrow, here's hoping for a flood of new users again!

Thread moved to the BE General Discussions forum.
    :)

18. LeppidKing

LeppidKing Chieftain

Hello, long-time Civ fan here, new to the forum courtesy of all the CivBE buzz. I'll be popping in here and there, dropping in to say a thing here, or poll a thing there, hunt for mods and such.

:king:

19. Thander

Thander Warlord

Welcome to the forums! I was the same back when Civ V came out. Had been lurking for months reading Civ IV strategies.

20. Cousken

Cousken Chieftain

Hello!

Long time Civ Fan and Lurker here :) Civ games dominate my "by hours played" list on Steam, and i don't even always play online...

I joined because i want to develop some mods for Beyond Earth and could use some help. It's missing some things that i think should be really easy to implement.