Welcome New Members

Hi! I've also been playing Civilization since Civ I. I remember my strategy was to push the tax rate down to 0% and put science at 100%, then to rush catapults and take over cites. This all changed in Civ II, I believe, when catapults were not melee units anymore.

I've played a lot of Civ III, Civ IV, and really got into Civ V. I was a huge fan of the hex-based system and watching Madjin on youtube.

When Civ VI came out, it just really didn't lay its hooks into me. I felt that the all of the districts added to some confusion and was just hard to get used to after playing so much Civ V where I would just spam the same building in every city. Now that Gathering Storm is out, I think Civ VI is getting good. I am a fan of the grievance and new resource system. Plus disasters make some obscene tiles!

Civ has a great community, so finally decided to venture in from the "online" cold, both here and in other online forums.

Greetings! I joined a few weeks ago, when I first downloaded Civ VI onto my iPad on a whim, and was thoroughly confused by the whole thing, but have now decided to stop lurking and join in. I was completely hooked on the original Civilization game when it first came out all those years ago, and remember several contented all-night sessions (the joys of being a student!), with just me, my computer and the Empire of the English. I skipped all the intervening versions (life got too busy), so I'm finding Civ VI a complete revelation of course! I'm in need of a new laptop, so when I get one, I'll be upgrading to the PC version with both expansions. I've learned an awful lot already from reading the various discussions, so thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge.

New here! Started playing from the 1st version when I was 7 years old. PC next to my bed and playing all day! Now I'm using the switch to do that! Just not all day, because I'm working and have a family.

Great to see so much happening around here. In my daily life I don't know anybody who actually plays.

Where to start on this forum? What are interesting topics to read? I stopped playing since version 4 and the game is so much more complex now! I have a lot to learn.

You can always start in either the Game of the Month forum or the Strategy and Tips forum. In both places you'll find information about playing Civ6.

The other versions of the games have similar forums to help you.

Good luck and have fun!

In the Game of the Month, we post a save and everyone plays it and then discusses their strategies and approach to the game in the spoiler threads. By sharing a common save, players can learn from one another and, hopefully, discover new ways to approach situations that arise. And have fun while they learn. :)

Just wanted to pop in and say hello :)

Been following the forums without a user for a few years, and really stepped it up since october/november with the "All Quiet on the Civ Front" thread before the expansion, and all of the fantastic speculation/info gathering/analysis/anticipation. I decided today that I might as well join the community proper.

I'm a relative newcomer to the Civ series, having played a bit of 4, lots and lots of 5 since G&K and going into BNW, and have been onboard from the start of Civ6.

A big thank you to all the wonderful admins/staff/moderators, modders, supporters and the general helpful populace of these forums!

In the Game of the Month, we post a save and everyone plays it and then discusses their strategies and approach to the game in the spoiler threads. By sharing a common save, players can learn from one another and, hopefully, discover new ways to approach situations that arise. And have fun while they learn. :)
Cool! Also for the Switch?

Hello there!

Recent forum roamer, old Civ player since DOS version, first at a friends house, then at mine. Due to my gaming fondness, my father put a "quiz" encoded into the boot sequence so I had to answer 3 multiplication questions correctly before I could play.
Discovered the game when I was 11 (1996) and have been quite a fan since. It has not been my main game, but Ive put "a few" hours into the saga, especially II, V and VI. I was searching for new info about gathering storm and stumbled upon this forum, and after basically visiting daily these last weeks, Ive decided to say hi to my fellow-nerds.

But I never went above Prince. I really dont know why, because I usually won very easily. Now, after years of WoW hardcore raiding and mainly Assetto Corsa simracing, I am starting to crank up the difficulty levels, and find myself comfortably winning up to Immortal. I tried Deity, but although I usually manage to fend off the first aggresions, I feel like all the games are the same for the first 100 turns (epic speed) so I just stick to lower diffs (I never chase domination or religion).

I just love the strategic aspects and the numbers game. I love being as optimal as I can be, while being imaginative, and this game allows quite a bit of that. But then comes Shaka early in the game, plops a city just by my capital and thanks to his loyalty bonus, manages to hold it even with a gov established. Then he gets pissed because 3 turns later that city is now a pile of rubble. Im not really fond of the loyalty system, the AI usually just annoys me with very poorly placed cities against my borders and leaves me with 2 options. Either allow my anxiety levels to rise watching their crappy unimproved cities grow faster than mine , or retaliate, which, if I let an era pass, those cities will grow and will have an even a bigger impact on loyalty later, making it mandatory to raze/capture all the cities that boxed me in. (just in case anybody wonders, yes, I do use the loyalty buff cards/governors, but against some AIs, its quite impossible

All in all, theres some things I find irritating in the game (irregular barb spawns, bias rng and such) but when I get a game with the proper conditions, I get myself completely immersed and tell a tale in my head about how the Aztec managed to fend the Spanish invasion, or how the libraby of Alexandria is still up, and allowed us to land on mars before the 16th century.

Ondo ibili!

PD: Sorry for the wall of text, I do get carried on sometimes :D

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!

I wish I had thought of this when my kids were younger.
Thanks! Yeah heheh, although the kind of games I played mor eoften than not involved using maths, or at least a certain degree of logic thinking. So it really was just like warming up. Plus, the random generator was not so random, and would 90% ask me 6x9/9x6. Which I have ingrained deep in my brain.

Hi all! My Civ-addiction started somewhere in the mid 90's and I have played every version ever since. I think I spent too much time on playing Civilization when I was younger. Nowadays I concentrate only on Civ 6 (alas only few hours a week).

I am a programmer, married, no children. I try to keep myself active with mountain biking, football, hiking and gym. My wife is a gamer too so she understands and completely agrees when I tell her that "I MUST conquer now".

I am not very active writer so my contribution here won't be much (though if for some reason I start writing please don't stop me!).

-Aki-

love on first sight, 1990 ASM (german print mag) preview teased a new dimension of fictional immersion in grand strategy (hex games were long ood) - the ultimate hegemony exclusivly Kaiser (Ariolasoft, 1984) achieved partially, mankind to stand the test of time. a virtual frame for my narrative on humanity, like an UI to my inner fantasy plot, the relieve of an external manifestation of a long developed storytelling - history (is the ultimate story) written by me, like a dream come true.

and so it begun, as every good story with an (already climactic) exposition, cuz the abusiveness of my legal guardians drove me out of their miserable home to the streets of Berlin. exclusivly the love i felt in my stories made me survive this ordeal of having no other future perspective than the next crash, my plots were always correcting history for the better, so the developing Räterepublik wasnt massacred by the SPD commanded Reichswehr (in fact, the SPD was responsible for re-arming militias, which later transformed into SA).

at some point i found confidence in the economic opportunities of arising Berlin Underground to not just keep me financed, but prospering. although i was isolated in a bi-polar lifecycle of getting high to escape depression, to just feel more depressed the next day, so i fantasized on altering history to establish a society true to human rights. 3 sufficient years of intrinsical confidence to start over again somewhere else in the south at the age of 18, cuz i love sun, summer and happyness.

1994 the one very moment every love longs for finally dawned, a sacral, pure, almost divine experience - and i realised in my first defeat as Ramses, i ve grown to overconfident to choose Emperor difficulty. in desire for correcting historical mistakes i worked myself up the difficulty rack until i was civilized enough to unite mankind in the liberation from inhuman tyrants and finally stand the test of time.

since then every issue was blockbuster, as those always felt like discovering a new, unknown facet on my love. 25 years later i know i rewrote not just a fictional, but also my personal history.

Last edited:
Hi fellow civ-fans! Long time civ addict from the Netherlands myself, played all of the versions since CIV I and keep coming back to it every few years. Loved III and IV, took me a while to get to love V as well, but when it did I spend hundreds of hours on it. Domination was my favorite victory back then... :) Waited a long while to buy CIV VI, but after I got quit sick and had to recover after a week in the hospital I treated myself to VI and have been playing it regularly for almost half a year now. After a while I found myself wondering about some of its mechanisms and started googling and youtubing. That's how I found this forum and have been reading a lot of it for a while now. Thought it was about time that I joined the conversation in here!

Big thanks to all the fans on these forums who are ever so helpful to explain each and every aspect of the game. It really was enormously helpful to improve my skills. Started out playing emperor, but rarely play anything but deity nowadays. Mostly thanks to learning these forums and watching civ youtubers. A special thanks for everyone working on this website, its amazing how you spend your time keeping a site like this online and keeping the forums 'clean'. :) I bet there's a way to donate somewhere on this site? I bet every donation is welcome to help it keep running.

Hello there, long time lurker and civilitic whore here. Today is my best friend's birthday. Which means that today, 20 years ago, I played my very first Civ game (I believe it was Call To Power but I could be wrong).

I didn't much get it at the time and it would take me another few years before I REALLY got into it.

Anyway, these days I play a bit of Civ6 between work, living the expat life in Jo'burg and trying to not fudge up my kid too much (parenting). However, today I felt I should celebrate my 20 year friendship with the franchise by finally joining the ranks of you fine people.

Looking forward to trying out a game of the month, it's a domination with Hungary atm I believe, haven't tried Mathias yet but it looks more than intriguing.

Hello from France (so sorry for my not perfect english ... not easy to remember all the technical names in both langage)

Well i use linux for all my computers, so it was hard at the beginning (with civ iv) to play civilization. So i begun with Wine and civ iv, and after the v was ported on linux (thanks to Steam for having push in this way!! and aspyr to have done the job! ). So i play alot with the V (including beyond earth), but when the vi came out my computer wasn't able to run it (graphic card to old ...), so i continue to play the v. It's only now that the mother board was dead i decide to change it, upgrade the proc, the memory ... and the graphic card! Yes i can now play at civ vi :)

I'm happy to win in Prince level, and i don't like the artificial difficulties for higher levels .... I ususally play at epic time (if i remember well the name, the second slower, i like when it's slow this should be the reason why i love doom metal music ;) ) and on huge map with not too much civ (i like to be alone at the beginning).

Hello again,

And I say again, because I've been through here several times looking for information, advice ..... and adversaries ;-).

I am Spanish (Sorry for my English), living in Andalucia, the land of the sun.
I am an absolute fan of the saga. There must be thousands and thousands of hours dedicated to Civilization. But since I got married, I've put these games aside.
Today, I want to resume it, and the first thing I do is come here to find leaders who want to bite the dust.

Will you be next? ;-)

Top Bottom