1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome New Members

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by ainwood, Oct 14, 2005.

1. IvoryPavane

IvoryPavane Chieftain

Hey all!

Thought I’d introduce myself here too!

I’ve lurked the forums for a few years and really enjoyed reading the opinions of other people. It’s amazing to see the intelligence and passion of the Civ playerbase and it seems much nicer than your average “fan base”

I started with Civ V but really got hooked on Civ VI. Play Multiplayer mostly, and usually witb friends but do enjoy some AI games too (usually on Emporer or Immortal if I’m feeling adventurous).

Nice to meet you all, and thanks for giving me stuff to read on the bus to work.

Edit: As a fun introductory fact, I’m Scottish and live in Edinburgh but I’ve yet to play Robert the Bruce. Guilt!

tedhebert and SagarRathore like this.
  2. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Welcome aboard.

FYI, my daughter graduated from the Univ. of Edinburgh a few years ago. Nice excuse to spend way too much time visiting her over 4 years.

IvoryPavane likes this.
  3. IvoryPavane

IvoryPavane Chieftain

Ah thanks!

That’s a fantastic uni and a lovely part of Edinburgh too.

I’m gonna get a game in as Robert today. Endure those bagpipes haha. (My dad plays them so I have some pretty irate memories of his practices in the room next to mine!!!)

4. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Shame on you.
    I used to live in North Berwick (not so far away) and have never managed to play a full game as Robert either, yet at least.

5. IvoryPavane

IvoryPavane Chieftain

I live about 30 minutes from North Berwick, it’s a really lovely town!!!

Osk21 likes this.
  6. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Also an area that makes you appreciate golf course spam. 1 per city. Hah, I want 4 or 5 golf courses per city.

Osk21 likes this.
  7. StamVI

StamVI Chieftain

Greetings! :) I am from Greece. Civ 6 is the only civ game i have and have ever played. My experience with the game goes back to just slightly more than 1 month and i am loving it so far!

Well, i've yet to play either of the 2 greek leaders! XD

Osk21 likes this.
  8. Osk21

Osk21 Barbarian Killer and Beast Trainer & Solar System!

I have been playing since Civ2

9. Gregolution

Gregolution Chieftain

Hello all, just joined the forums today. I've tried Civ many times over the years but for some reason Civ 6 is the first one that's got its hooks in me. I think there's something about the boost system that gave me enough focus at the start to have something to optimise rather than feel like I had absolutely no clue and overwhelmed all the time!

Or maybe I just put a bit more effort in this time to learning the basics. it's not the easiest game to get over the initial learning curve.

Anyway, I'm finally well and truly hooked. Look forward to asking many questions here.

10. Alqamar Alaswad

Alqamar Alaswad Chieftain

Hello there. I've been playing Civilization since Civ I (lots of years ago). I have joined these forums because I am having some problems playing Civ 6 Anno Domini.

I'm from Spain and I am 44 years old. Nice to meet you all.

Update: I have begun to dwell into the depths of ModBuddy. :D

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Osk21 likes this.
  11. inquisitive_otter

inquisitive_otter Chieftain

Hi! I've also been playing Civilization since Civ I. I remember my strategy was to push the tax rate down to 0% and put science at 100%, then to rush catapults and take over cites. This all changed in Civ II, I believe, when catapults were not melee units anymore.

I've played a lot of Civ III, Civ IV, and really got into Civ V. I was a huge fan of the hex-based system and watching Madjin on youtube.

When Civ VI came out, it just really didn't lay its hooks into me. I felt that the all of the districts added to some confusion and was just hard to get used to after playing so much Civ V where I would just spam the same building in every city. Now that Gathering Storm is out, I think Civ VI is getting good. I am a fan of the grievance and new resource system. Plus disasters make some obscene tiles!

tedhebert likes this.
  12. Somhairle

Somhairle Chieftain

Civ has a great community, so finally decided to venture in from the "online" cold, both here and in other online forums.

tedhebert likes this.
  13. Bagfran

Bagfran Chieftain

Greetings! I joined a few weeks ago, when I first downloaded Civ VI onto my iPad on a whim, and was thoroughly confused by the whole thing, but have now decided to stop lurking and join in. I was completely hooked on the original Civilization game when it first came out all those years ago, and remember several contented all-night sessions (the joys of being a student!), with just me, my computer and the Empire of the English. I skipped all the intervening versions (life got too busy), so I'm finding Civ VI a complete revelation of course! I'm in need of a new laptop, so when I get one, I'll be upgrading to the PC version with both expansions. I've learned an awful lot already from reading the various discussions, so thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge.

14. eiprufgb

eiprufgb Chieftain

New here! Started playing from the 1st version when I was 7 years old. PC next to my bed and playing all day! Now I'm using the switch to do that! Just not all day, because I'm working and have a family.

Great to see so much happening around here. In my daily life I don't know anybody who actually plays.

Where to start on this forum? What are interesting topics to read? I stopped playing since version 4 and the game is so much more complex now! I have a lot to learn.

15. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

You can always start in either the Game of the Month forum or the Strategy and Tips forum. In both places you'll find information about playing Civ6.

The other versions of the games have similar forums to help you.

Good luck and have fun!

16. eiprufgb

eiprufgb Chieftain

Thanks!

I don't really get the game of the month topic. How does that work?

17. leif erikson

In the Game of the Month, we post a save and everyone plays it and then discusses their strategies and approach to the game in the spoiler threads. By sharing a common save, players can learn from one another and, hopefully, discover new ways to approach situations that arise. And have fun while they learn. :)

18. Nerevatar

Nerevatar Chieftain

Just wanted to pop in and say hello :)

Been following the forums without a user for a few years, and really stepped it up since october/november with the "All Quiet on the Civ Front" thread before the expansion, and all of the fantastic speculation/info gathering/analysis/anticipation. I decided today that I might as well join the community proper.

I'm a relative newcomer to the Civ series, having played a bit of 4, lots and lots of 5 since G&K and going into BNW, and have been onboard from the start of Civ6.

A big thank you to all the wonderful admins/staff/moderators, modders, supporters and the general helpful populace of these forums!

19. eiprufgb

eiprufgb Chieftain

Cool! Also for the Switch?

20. leif erikson