1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome New Members

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by ainwood, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Basajaun

Basajaun Chieftain

Hello there!

Recent forum roamer, old Civ player since DOS version, first at a friends house, then at mine. Due to my gaming fondness, my father put a "quiz" encoded into the boot sequence so I had to answer 3 multiplication questions correctly before I could play.
    Discovered the game when I was 11 (1996) and have been quite a fan since. It has not been my main game, but Ive put "a few" hours into the saga, especially II, V and VI. I was searching for new info about gathering storm and stumbled upon this forum, and after basically visiting daily these last weeks, Ive decided to say hi to my fellow-nerds.

But I never went above Prince. I really dont know why, because I usually won very easily. Now, after years of WoW hardcore raiding and mainly Assetto Corsa simracing, I am starting to crank up the difficulty levels, and find myself comfortably winning up to Immortal. I tried Deity, but although I usually manage to fend off the first aggresions, I feel like all the games are the same for the first 100 turns (epic speed) so I just stick to lower diffs (I never chase domination or religion).

I just love the strategic aspects and the numbers game. I love being as optimal as I can be, while being imaginative, and this game allows quite a bit of that. But then comes Shaka early in the game, plops a city just by my capital and thanks to his loyalty bonus, manages to hold it even with a gov established. Then he gets pissed because 3 turns later that city is now a pile of rubble. Im not really fond of the loyalty system, the AI usually just annoys me with very poorly placed cities against my borders and leaves me with 2 options. Either allow my anxiety levels to rise watching their crappy unimproved cities grow faster than mine , or retaliate, which, if I let an era pass, those cities will grow and will have an even a bigger impact on loyalty later, making it mandatory to raze/capture all the cities that boxed me in. (just in case anybody wonders, yes, I do use the loyalty buff cards/governors, but against some AIs, its quite impossible

All in all, theres some things I find irritating in the game (irregular barb spawns, bias rng and such) but when I get a game with the proper conditions, I get myself completely immersed and tell a tale in my head about how the Aztec managed to fend the Spanish invasion, or how the libraby of Alexandria is still up, and allowed us to land on mars before the 16th century.

Ondo ibili!

PD: Sorry for the wall of text, I do get carried on sometimes :D

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  2. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Welcome aboard!
    I wish I had thought of this when my kids were younger.

tedhebert likes this.
  3. Basajaun

Basajaun Chieftain

Thanks! Yeah heheh, although the kind of games I played mor eoften than not involved using maths, or at least a certain degree of logic thinking. So it really was just like warming up. Plus, the random generator was not so random, and would 90% ask me 6x9/9x6. Which I have ingrained deep in my brain.

Alqamar Alaswad likes this.
  4. samjonas

samjonas Chieftain

Hello, I am new here too... thank you

Alqamar Alaswad likes this.
  5. AkiAkiAki

AkiAkiAki Chieftain

Hi all! My Civ-addiction started somewhere in the mid 90's and I have played every version ever since. I think I spent too much time on playing Civilization when I was younger. Nowadays I concentrate only on Civ 6 (alas only few hours a week).

I am a programmer, married, no children. I try to keep myself active with mountain biking, football, hiking and gym. My wife is a gamer too so she understands and completely agrees when I tell her that "I MUST conquer now".

I am not very active writer so my contribution here won't be much (though if for some reason I start writing please don't stop me!).

-Aki-