1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome New Members

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by ainwood, Oct 14, 2005.

1. citizen1

citizen1 Chieftain

In the begining there was me an A500+ and copy of a game i'd never heard of before: Civilization! .... fast forward 15 years and i'm still playing . sad huh!!

(p.s. is it just me or when you are playing civ4, is it far to easy to think i know i'll just destroy isabella and then go to bed. and the next thing you know you're still there and your alarm clock is going off and with mounting horror you realise it's 5.30 in the morning!!)

2. Sylnathorn

Sylnathorn Chieftain

I played Civ I and Civ II a long long time ago and just within the past couple days picked up Civ IV and found this site, just thought I would drop in a say hello =)

3. PSusac

PSusac Chieftain

Basic question:

How does it effect the game to work at the different speeds (epic, marithon etc.)

I noticed that buildings seem to build MUCH more slowly at epic.

What is the time limit of the game? How is production effected? How is research effected? Do you tend to end up with more units per era due to cheeper costs relative to buildings and longer time between eras?

4. stuabear

stuabear Chieftain

Well I have heard of this game for years yet never got it as I never had any real game time on it. CIV III is fantastic but on the Mac does not seem to have the custom tools PC's have.
    Maybe now I am using a dual Core Intel Macbook Pro I can run it as a PC to get at those tools.
    Both games are great, Civ III reminds me of a much less sophisticated game that came out in the days of the Mac Plus and earlier called Strategic conquest. No real comparison with todays games but a start in the right direction for me. I have only just had to quit Strategic conquest because OS 9 iwill not run on Mac Intel Models so I finally got me a new Game and it is great.

I run both games on a Macbook Pro 17" and the only problem I have had so far is Civ IV locks up on the highest quality graphics settings. I use the Macbook as the computer and a Big 30" screen for the display and have had not significant problems with III or IV, fantastic games both definitely made me an addict to the series.
    I could use some help on using the World Builder especially when it comes to creating other civilizations on it.

Thanks to Sid and Co I finally have a game that really suits me.

5. bassist2119

bassist2119 Warlord

Hi Civ people,
    A little background: I remember thoroughly enjoying/obsessing over the original Civilization for my 8-bit Nintendo; must of finished the game 50 times! Years later, picked up Civ II but never really played it. Saw Civ IV on the shelf a few weeks ago but figured I'd save forty bucks by getting C3C. Consequently, I've lost more hours than I'd care to admit for the past month or so. Hopefully some of you are still playing Civ 3, but chances are I'll update soon (that being when the price goes down!)

cheers,
    bassist

6. Kalena

Kalena Chieftain

Hi. I recently purchased a Civ4 game and had been hook since then. I really appreciate the insights and strategies you have posted. It significantly improved my gameplay.

7. Padma

Padma the Inbond Administrator Supporter

Welcome, all! :D

Many of us still play Civ3 (and Civ2 and Civ1). Some because our systems won't run Civ4, some because we prefer it over Civ4. You will note that we have forums for each of the main versions. (And in the Civ3 and Civ4 forums, we also have Mac forums. ;)) If you ask specific questions in the appropriate forum, you are more likely to get a response. Especially if you use the "Quick Answers / Newbie Questions" threads. :) I *will* answer one here, though:
    This is known as the "Just One More Turn" (JOMT) syndrome. It is the key to Civ's popularity since the original Civ1. Virtually all of us suffer from it to some degree. ;) (I remember telling my wife at 11:00PM that I just wanted to finish wiping out the Germans before bed. Three hours later the Portuguese and Vikings were also gone, and my forehead was bouncing off the monitor before I could tear myself away....)

8. Telamar

Telamar Chieftain

[redacted]

9. okojo

okojo Chieftain

Just stopping by to say hello.....
    I just purchased CivIII vanilla and patched it up to v1.29 (with much difficulty, and some help from these forums :D). I then downloaded DyP, which I'm finding very enjoyable.
    I've been learning a lot just browsing the forums for the last few days, but there are still a couple of burning issues I don't seem to be able to find the answers to:
    I've been looking over other modpacks, although most of them seem to be for conquests. Are there any other really good ones for vanilla, or is DyP about it?
    Also, what is the difference between a scenario and a modpack?
    Since installing DyP, it's impossible to play the old v1.29 again, and I assume I will have to reinstall the game if I wanted to do so...? Is there a way to download a scenario and/or modpack, and then be able to freely switch between it and other scenarios/modpacks without having to reinstall the game (for example, can you just store some in the 'scenarios' folder, then access them by choice from the main menu page)?

If anyone can answer these questions for me, I would be eternally grateful...

10. civvyfan

civvyfan Chieftain

Hello... Newbie here. Hello to all past, present, future.

11. ironfist834

ironfist834 Chieftain

Hi,i'm new on this site,but i play civ from its first appearance...for me now there isn't chance,it's as a drug,i'm able to play 15hours in succession...if i don't play civ i grow toward an abstinence crisis as i were a drug toxic person...
    One time i had a wife,but since she bother me stealing time to my civ games, i had to do a choice...Wife or Civ?And so, i gave her a strong,well placed kick in bottom,mailing her straight to parent.
    My mother says i'm to recover....What do you think ? It's really so serious?
    Bye all from Italy!

12. Veo

Veo Chieftain

i think that's pretty frightening!

13. hope

hope Chieftain

THanks so much for the help the other day. You were all most most kind, and the shrieks of "pacifist"! were amusing if inaccurate. I am not a pacifist
    I merelyh would prefer not to obliterate little foolish countries that due to poor leadership decide to attack me for no reason. I know it is a game but I am a special education teacher and I can';t stop seeing thousands of little families in those towns I have to go in and level.

Makes me made at the Cowboys that represent them.
    Anyway thanks for the tip that machine guns can';t be offensive that helped.

And OH! by the way my favorite part of this new game is that if I seize the U.N. I can eliminate the use of nuclear arms. I hated those things. In the old games I refused to use them on principle, but mu cruddy little foes did not hesitate.

My thanks again.

Hope Abbigail

14. Datian

Datian Warlord

Hello everyone, I'm the 659435th clueless guy there !

Well thanks to this terrible game, I must now ponder the spelling of the c-word each time I use it in french... but it's worth it !

15. FirstLine

FirstLine Chieftain

Hello. I got the first Civilization when it came out and couldn't do without it!
    Civ II I got as soon as it was available. Terrific!!
    I got CivIV, but it was in different format and it had fault. So that went back and I got hold of Civ III. I don't like the flashing screen with slight touch of mouse (Have to get used to that!)
    BUT the main point of this post is this:
    The resource, coal, sometimes does not appear so I can't get railway. Then, when I do get it and start building railway, after a few years I can no longer do so! All I can suggest is that there is something pre-set in program?
    Can someone help solve this, please. :confused:
    Another question if I may. I got on well with CivII and after getting Windows XP I put it on that. Although taking it off, is it alright to have Civ II with Windows XP?
    I am glad I found this site. It looks great. David. :goodjob:

16. Damjo

Damjo Chieftain

Hi..

Been a Civilization fan since my brother caught the first game back in the 90s..

Im a huge history fanatic thanks to it..

Looking forward to getting active and involved in this community and hopefully I can contribute to the place..

Later..

17. dctoe

dctoe Chieftain

Hi everybody! dctoe here. I've been playing CivIII for a couple of years now, just traded it with my friends son for CivIV. Yeah, I guess you could say I'm hooked. I'm a long time Sim game player, from the entire SimCity series on PC to Gran Turismo on the PS and PS2.

What is this thing with playing God, and why can't I run my own life equally as well? :D

I'll see you all in the trenches.

18. PopeZaphod

PopeZaphod Chieftain

I signed up to the forums to get more information on the Mac version of Civ4. I bought it recently and have been having fun, but wanted to know more about modding and such.

Civ4 has become my number two time-suck, the number one being World of Warcraft. :)

19. Weird_bug

Weird_bug Warlord

Hi, I've been a lurker for aaaaages and a player even longer, but I never got around to getting an email address. This is going to be fun.

"I will, I wil rock you, dun dun..."

20. im13-15-18

im13-15-18 Chieftain

Hello dear friends! I for the first time on this site, very much here was pleasant to me,
    I shall come is more often. Really a good site, thanks his founders.
    I search for friends on interest - the Internet. My page All of happiness! Yours faithfully, Andre

Moderator Action: Post merged into the correct thread -- Chieftess