1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Imperium Offtopicum!

Discussion in 'Imperium OffTopicum' started by Mosher, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Mosher

Mosher Mushroom dad

Hello, and welcome to IOT! Whether you've been a longtime lurker or you just saw this five minutes ago and thought it looked fun, welcome! We're always looking for more players in our game; fresh faces and ideas are what brings vitality to a community, after all.

What is an IOT?
    An IOT can be anything from a largely story based adventure, to a stat-and-spreadsheet heavy geopolitical simulation. They originally started in the Off Topic Altered Maps thread, and then evolved into its own independent thing - eventually into what you see today. Most games are somewhat Risk-like, with a simulated and abstracted economic and military system. Each IOT is unique, though, so make sure to read the rules in the OP of any potential IOT you might join.

Community
    Community is a large aspect of IOT, and you shouldn't hesitate to try and integrate yourself with it/ask questions, all of that fun stuff. Most of the community can be found at various hours of the day on http://iotjimmiesrustled.chatango.com/ or can be PM'd, as well. For advice on playing games and all of that, any of our more senior members would be willing to help you out (such as Scarlet_King AKA Sonereal, SouthernKing, Red Spy, mechaerik, or myself).

Useful Links
    IOT Chat - http://iotjimmiesrustled.chatango.com/
    Argentina (Offtopic) thread - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=492739
    Development thread - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=369094
    Map thread - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=520867
    New GM thread - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=496797
    Organization/Discussion thread - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=541086

2. SamSniped

SamSniped C O M R A D E W A V E

Glad to see DT's GM Guide on there :D

3. Mosher

Mosher Mushroom dad

I wrote the guide, DT just named it :p

4. Civ'ed

Civ'ed I ain't gotta explain a thing

McGM's
    I'm killing it...

----

Here's my few bits of advice for new players:
    • Join a game or 3 before you start to GM.
    • Be Creative!
    • Chat is a silly place. Go there anyway.

5. NinjaCow64

NinjaCow64 The Continuation of the Dream Supporter

Subscribed.

I'll update my guide when I get a chance to make it more general and more helpful.

6. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo ADVENT

My advice for nation based IOTs especially:

1: Even in less RP focused games conducting RP adds a live to the experience. A blank Republic of So-and-so will not only be less interesting then, say, a focused made power but also you will be less committed to the nation and thus less enjoyment from the game.

2: Be nice to your fellow players; you may never know when you will need to ally with them.

3: Flags make the game more wonderful, so be sure to gain access to one for representing your nation or force or whatever.

4: Excel is not only a tool for GMs in IOTs; players playing as democracies can use Excel for their political parties or a monarchy can use it to list their monarchs. Tables can be a useful tool.

5: Expansion is fun but certain games do give penalties for over expansion. Keep this in mind before charging to dwarf the Russian Empire, less you end up with the penalties of it during the First World War.

6: Characters add depth; especially important for your leader. You may not always need a clear leader (say for instance your playing some close oligarchic council) but it helps.

7: Do not be afraid to ask the GM questions, especially if your confused or you fear you may have done a mistake.

8: Everyone makes a booboo now and then, be it joining a war against a super strong power or not exploiting a peaceful means to expand. Learn from these experiences and do not allow them to hinder your progression.

9: A strong economy (in certain games) can help you against a stronger military, if that military is of a nation which has not developed its economic capabilities.

10: Never underestimate the importance of owning the Suez or Panama Canal.

11: If there is a spy mechanic use it or at least set your defense from it, for a player WILL adopt covert activities and they WILL hurt the player who is unprepared.

12: Most importantly: manage the amount of games you join. Joining too many games can hinder performance.

7. Robert Can't

Robert Can't Grantaire

Greetings New People!

I am Robert, one of the GMs here.

Beware Chat.

8. Double A

Double A WAAAH

Nuclear terrorism is really, really fun.

9. Reus

Reus Sadistic Psychopath

Always ask.

10. Polyblank

Polyblank Chieftain

Take time on deciding what/who to play as so that you are inspired to produce creative content for a longer period of time than you would do with something generic.

11. christos200

christos200 Never tell me the odds

Subbed.

12. Dem Taqat

Dem Taqat Bladespawn

Even with my tremendous ego, I can take no credit at all for anything in the McGM thread. I have never posted anything in it, and probably never will.

DT
    [Rambling Self-Promotion] :king: