1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Rhye's and Fall of the Greek World (Revived again)

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall of the Greek World' started by bluepotato, Jan 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Louis the XIV

Louis the XIV Sun King

Thanks, but how do I download it from there? I am new to using Git Hub.

2. EdmundIronside

EdmundIronside Challenge Accepted

There is a quick guide for downloading from Git Hub on the first page of the thread:
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...fall-of-the-greek-world-revived-again.654019/

This quick guide is based on Leoreths more lengthy guide from DOC.
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/welcome-to-dawn-of-civilization.533861/

Some people such as myself have found that you can't download directly into the mods folder (I think it is an admin issue), so download into somewhere like My Documents, and then copy it into the mods folder from there.

Crimean Lord likes this.
  3. Louis the XIV

Louis the XIV Sun King

Thanks! By the way, if you want to make your signature shorter then you should do this: Greek World Revived

EdmundIronside likes this.
  4. Louis the XIV

Louis the XIV Sun King

@bluepotato could you or is it possible to take the platy builder that is used in RFC Greek World but with the modifications you made to it? I'm talking about the modification that makes city renaming much easier. Thanks in advance!

5. bluepotato

bluepotato Warlord

It's probably possible, but merging it into other RFC mods would be quite a challenge. The Platybuilder part isn't too tricky, it just involves adding and removing signs for the currently active player. Most respective code should be easy to find by searching for bluepotato in Assets/Python/Screens/PlatyBuilder/CvPlatyBuilderScreen.py, and it's quite obvious based on naming which parts of the code are relevant to the city naming thing.
    The popup is located in the DLL, so for that you'd search for WIDGET_WB_CITY_NAME, and BUTTONPOPUP_CITY_NAME; it also requires the Python functions unicodeToXML and addSign to be present in Assets/Python/EntryPoints/CvScreensInterface.cpp.

The harder part would be integrating this with Rhye's original city name system, since it differs quite a bit from the one in RFGW. More specifically, the original solution is a huge Python file with a bunch of tuples, and events that trigger city renaming provided certain conditions are met. RFGW's system is far simpler: city names for different civs are encoded in the scenario file, and renaming happens whenever a civ takes a city from another civ. This way it's quite easy to just modify things in-game, and then save it to a scenario file again; with vanilla RFC you'd at least have to generate csv files, and then you still haven't taken care of city renaming. The matter is further complicated by the fact that other RFC mods have also changed the original system. I'm unaware of how it works in SoI and its derivatives, but I'm pretty sure city renaming has been overhauled in DoC.

On an unrelated note, sorry for my prolonged inactivity. I've been trying to figure out the cause of the 900 BC CtD for a while now, but I haven't really spent as much time on it (as well as the project itself (or really anything even remotely productive)) as I would've liked to. Anyways, I'm hoping to get back to the mod sooner than later.

Louis the XIV and EdmundIronside like this.
  6. DuskTreader

DuskTreader Chieftain

7. bluepotato

bluepotato Warlord

Sure, I don't think I can do much with it anyways.

8. Louis the XIV

Louis the XIV Sun King

I am not using Rhye's city system, that's why I asked you if you could tell me exactly which files have to be used so I don't make my mod crash.
    But I would use Rhye's system but I don't understand it at all, the one in DoC is a bit better but still very hard to comprehend.

9. bluepotato

bluepotato Warlord

Well, what I meant is, the RFGW city name editor depends on the RFGW city name system, which in turn depends on the RFGW scenario loader (and a bunch of other stuff), which depends on a custom (json) scenario format, which depends on CvRiseFall.cpp, and therefore pretty much the whole DLL. In short, it's quite tightly coupled with other parts of the mod. Though not as much as, say, the unit or city system, so breaking some of these dependencies isn't always impossible.

So you have three viable options if you really want to use it:
    1: Take the city name editor (as I've described above), and somehow make it export csv files so it's compatible with Rhye's city name manager. I think DoC's worldbuilder can export certain things, but I'm unsure whether or not that includes city names. This would basically replace the "fill in city names in excel" step with "place city names in the editor and export that", but city renaming would still have to be separately done in code. Unsure how useful this would really end up being, but it's definitely possible.

2: Take the city naming system, but not the scenario format. This might be trickier, but RFGWB.py (the scenario loader) does contain some commented out code for loading vanilla RFC city name maps. Again you'd have to somehow make it so you can export your changed map. Plus the system wasn't really designed for this, so this may cause other problems in the long run.
    Most of the additional code you'd want here should be in CvPlot.*/CyPlot.* and CvPlayer.cpp.

3: Take the whole thing. The biggest problem with this is that RFGW 2.0 still isn't finished (and quite possibly won't be for a while), so you'd probably run into some very annoying and potentially game-breaking problems. Also, building a new scenario would involve manually editing the scenario file to add new units (arguably you do the same in other RFC mods, it's just in Python instead of a json file), and overcoming certain limitations of the mod (e.g. you can't spawn units with promotions) would probably require non-trivial DLL coding or ugly Python hacks.
    Also, since I haven't put much effort into documenting how things work yet, it'd take a bit of studying of existing code to figure that out - in contrast, there's quite a bit of resources on how Rhye's original code and/or SoI works. Plus, while error handling in the scenario parser isn't too bad, for now RFGW assumes a lot of things it shouldn't take for granted, so without a debugger it can sometimes be quite painful to figure out what went wrong.
    However, provided you don't change the DLL too much, it wouldn't take much effort to port changes I'll make later to address these issues. You'd still have to replace unique powers, conditional spawns, and civs in CvEnums.h, but there's not much more you'd need to change in the DLL (or Python for that matter, I'm pretty sure the only RFGW-specific thing there is Victory.py).

10. Louis the XIV

Louis the XIV Sun King

Well, I changed my mind. I won't be doing it like this, it sounds waaaaay to complicated. Instead I will use a method that changes city names based on what year it is.
    For example in the year 700 the city of Carthage which is under Vandal rule will change it's name to Tunis. Even if it wasn't conquered by the Arabs.

11. Louis the XIV

Louis the XIV Sun King

I can't help but ask, how did you manage to create the map using a different script?
    I saw that the rise and fall mechanic is useless to RFCGW because of the kind of map you are using.
    I'm talking about the unit spawns or civ spawns on the defined turn.

12. Louis the XIV

Louis the XIV Sun King

Ummm, I have a problem with the mod. I just deleted it bcs I installed it a long time ago and wanted to try the update. Now I started a game as the Bactarians. At first the game just crashed when I selected them, I tried a second time and it worked. Then I went and took a shower expecting the game to be loaded by the time I finish. But the game simply stopped at turn 54 and didn't work anymore. I just think I should report this. Btw I have the normal version (not beta) from git hub.

13. bluepotato

bluepotato Warlord

Not sure what you mean by the rise and fall mechanic being useless, it's just implemented differently. If you mean how the predefined civ/unit spawns in the scenario files work, it's mostly in RFGWB.py. It's essentially the same as the regular scenario parser, but it uses simplejson to load the scenario files, and in addition to loading the map it informs the DLL about where and when it should place cities, units, etc.

Which scenario were you using, and could you upload an autosave from before the game, um, stopped?

14. Louis the XIV

Louis the XIV Sun King

It was the 4400 BC scenario (I know the other one doesn't work). Here is the auto save.

Attached Files:

15. bluepotato

bluepotato Warlord

Thanks, it should be fixed now (though you will have to start a new game).

16. Louis the XIV

Louis the XIV Sun King

So I should reinstall the Greek World mod?

17. bluepotato

bluepotato Warlord

If you installed it using Tortoise Git, you should be able to right click the mod folder and select "Git Pull". That should always update it to the latest revision.

18. DuskTreader

DuskTreader Chieftain

Thanks!

19. Autumn Leaf

Autumn Leaf Since 1992

Hi bluepotato, I'm back.

Version 2.0 - I've just discovered Construction and, uh, yeah, well, I'm busy building Railroads. OK, they end up as "Paved Roads", but that probably needs to be fixed sometime.

The little rectangular provinces are interesting. I'm not facing any serious stability issues yet (only a couple of messing-around games so far - Egypt, Israel, Phoenicia) but I'm a little worried about what will happen when I settle down to a bit of conquering.

EdmundIronside likes this.
  20. Autumn Leaf

Autumn Leaf Since 1992

I think there is a serious issue with stability in v2.0 when cities are founded on unstable tiles (i.e. tiles outside your core or having no Settler value). Economic Stability starts falling, and keeps falling for as long as you retain that city. Once you no longer possess the city, it recovers. I have not yet played far enough into any game to nail all the factors down precisely, but so far I've encountered it with the Phoenicians (my favourite little city in Arabia collapsed me when I had only three cities; I backed up, gave the city to Babylon, and my economy recovered) and with Harappa (Indus Valley has no defined core, and my anti-Aryan hill city is located at 60,33; the northernmost tile with Settlervalue for Harappa is 62,32. However, I have only two cities. Not really feasible to give it away.) I can understand an unstable city being a drag on stability, but not a runaway process.

This is a game killer for any civ that has a UHV requiring expansion. Meaning most of them. It's a buzzkiller in general.

(ETA: BTW 60,33 has no Settler value for Harappa because it is in Bactria's core and you don't want the Harappan AI plopping down cities there; but Bactria doesn't spawn till long after Harappa's time is over and anyone playing on into the future past the UHV has to live with the likelihood of having cities flip away someday. However there is at least one far northern Indus Valley city - Shortugai - though it's not really near that tile.

"The Indus Valley Civilisation (IVC) extended from Pakistan's Balochistan in the west to India's western Uttar Pradesh in the east, from northeastern Afghanistan in the north to India's Gujarat state in the south.[23] The largest number of sites are in Gujarat, Haryana, Punjab, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir states in India,[23] and Sindh, Punjab, and Balochistan provinces in Pakistan.[23] Coastal settlements extended from Sutkagan Dor[37] in Western Baluchistan to Lothal[38] in Gujarat. An Indus Valley site has been found on the Oxus River at Shortugai in northern Afghanistan,[39] in the Gomal River valley in northwestern Pakistan,[40] at Manda, Jammu on the Beas River near Jammu,[41] India, and at Alamgirpur on the Hindon River, only 28 km (17 mi) from Delhi.[42] The southernmost site of the Indus valley civilisation is Daimabad in Maharashtra. Indus Valley sites have been found most often on rivers, but also on the ancient seacoast,[43] for example, Balakot,[44] and on islands, for example, Dholavira.[45]. - Wikipedia)​

ETAETA: I was playing the April version of 2.0. I've just checked GitHub and I see some things have been changed since April - the current map defines a core for Harappa, for example. I might switch to testing the Git versions. Less chance of looking like I'm smokin' weed. :smoke:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020