Welcome to Rhye's and Fall of the Greek World (Revived again)

In the 2.0.2 900 BC map, Thebai is the Hellenism Holy City (HC). This is a bad idea.
  • Thebai starts with 1 population and no good food sources that the Indy Leader can see.
  • Since it has 0 health and thus -1 food, it will be a very long time indeed before it grows unless it puts its citizen in the Euripus Strait (the only tile with 2 food), which the AI is very unlikely to do.
  • Thebai had neither grown, nor had the Holy City relocated when Sparta captured it in 788 BC; It auto-razed.
  • The HC did not reappear in any other city after the razing.
Helnsm.jpg

Suggestions -
  1. Give it 2 pop to allow Athens or Sparta to capture it instead of destroying it, or
  2. put it back in Knossos and maybe it will eventually move on its own, or
  3. if a HC is destroyed, move the HC to the most cultured remaining city with that religion.
Personally, I like option 3 best :)

Last edited:
The HC did not reappear in any other city after the razing.

That's strange, holy city relocation should take care of that as soon as the religion is spread to any city by a missionary (the holy city not existing overrides the holy city relocation rate). Do you still have a savefile?

That's strange, holy city relocation should take care of that as soon as the religion is spread to any city by a missionary (the holy city not existing overrides the holy city relocation rate). Do you still have a savefile?

I stand corrected. Athens' UHVs are so tight that it took quite a while before I had the spare Hammers to build a missionary, but I've just completed UHV 2 and resettled Thebes. I went to Athens to tell it to make a Hereia for Thebes when I realised that at some point (maybe when I put Hellenism in Gortyn) Athens had become the HC. (Came here to post that observation.)

ETA: dang it, now I need to generate a GP. :p

For what its worth I like goody huts. They make exploring more fun and worthwhile.

On the subject of religions, I probably mentioned it before, but it would be nice to have a few more religions. Such as Druidism for the Celtic people, maybe Shamanism for Steppe people, and the return of Hinduism for the Indian people.
It is obviously possible to add religions as other mods like DOC & RI have done it, however I when I looked in past I could not find any guides on how to do this, so I don't know how easy it is to do.

On the subject of religions, I probably mentioned it before, but it would be nice to have a few more religions. Such as Druidism for the Celtic people, maybe Shamanism for Steppe people, and the return of Hinduism for the Indian people.

Yeah, religions are on my todo list. I'm planning to go for an overhaul similar to the one in 1.8 (but more stable...), in which I'll include some new ones too.

Anyways, that'll be after I'm finished with the AdvCiv merge, which will take a while - probably not nearly as long as 2.0, but I expect a month or two depending on my motivation and free time. There's still plenty of DLL code I haven't merged yet, and I've only started with the XML part this weekend.

One idea is to have a resource to represent the very important trade routes that ran from Egypt's Red Sea Ports all the way to India and beyond. It was the wealth that this trade generated that made Egypt to so rich, and made it so crucial to the finances of the Roman Empire. Could use the 'sea access' resource icon used in RFC Europe for this trade route resource.
Here is a video about this trade:

Anyway just a thought.

Reactions: PiR
What about representing trade routes using the corporations mechanic? Sword of Islam does something similar and the code is already there in the BTS engine, sitting unused. Could have a "Silk Road" corporation, an "Axumite Traders" corporation, "Abalus Traders" (the Amber trade from northern Europe into Greece), "Indian traders", etc.

This could potentially replace the buildable merchant unit as a way for civs to invest hammers into making money

While I have no objections to adding corporations, it has a rather low priority. Though I never really thought that they should replace the merchant units, is dealing with those too much micromanagement?

Also, a brief progress report: I have almost the entire RFGW DLL merged with AdvCiv (except for a few trickier parts that I'll have to playtest a lot). Next thing on the to-do list is the remaining XML, then PlatyBuilder. No clue when it'll be finished, and even less of a clue when it will be playable.

Also, a brief progress report: I have almost the entire RFGW DLL merged with AdvCiv (except for a few trickier parts that I'll have to playtest a lot). Next thing on the to-do list is the remaining XML, then PlatyBuilder. No clue when it'll be finished, and even less of a clue when it will be playable.
:thumbsup: Nice work. I assume the current git version is still playable?

Another thought (not expected to be a priority), but what about having respawns like they do in DOC? Egypt, Babylon and Assyria who had a history of collapses and revival would seem perfect for this mechanic. I'm not sure how easy it is to incorporate this mechanic.

While I have no objections to adding corporations, it has a rather low priority. Though I never really thought that they should replace the merchant units, is dealing with those too much micromanagement?

Nah, I don't have a strong objection to the buildable merchant

:thumbsup: Nice work. I assume the current git version is still playable?
Yeah, I haven't uploaded anything as the local half-merged version is completely unplayable ATM.

Another thought (not expected to be a priority), but what about having respawns like they do in DOC? Egypt, Babylon and Assyria who had a history of collapses and revival would seem perfect for this mechanic. I'm not sure how easy it is to incorporate this mechanic.
Since player slots aren't a concern, many "respawns" could be added as completely separate (non-playable) civs instead. But respawning the same civilization should be possible too (and in some instances probably preferable to adding a whole new civ). I haven't looked into this yet, but I am planning to.

The Ptolemaic egyptians would be a cool civ to add, perhaps a conditional spawn similar to the Sassanids and the Byzantines. If nothing else, it would finally let us play as Cleopatra

I can probably do a few more UHVs this summer. Let me know bluepotato when you are around again.

I am really enjoying this MOD, it is great so many people are working on my favourite game after so long.

I do not know if it intensional, but the ability to build irrigation without fresh water does not mean the irrigation gives extra food. I guess it would give an extra food with isolationism, but it comes late in the game.

I guess the civs with placeholder text for their UHV's cannot win a UHV?

I do not know if it intensional, but the ability to build irrigation without fresh water does not mean the irrigation gives extra food. I guess it would give an extra food with isolationism, but it comes late in the game.

If it was me who did that, then yes that is unintentional.

I guess the civs with placeholder text for their UHV's cannot win a UHV?

Yes, only about half the Civs have UHVs at the moment. I am intending on doing all the remaining ones soon, just waiting for @bluepotato to hopefully return so they can advise if I run into any coding errors and so they can merge them into the main mod.

Glad you like the mod. :thumbsup:

Hope you come back soon @bluepotato RFCGW needs you! :help:
I guess I will try to finish the UHVs, though I probably wont have time to do that until the summer if it is just me working on them.

Hi, sorry for disappearing again (for an entire year...)
Honestly I've had very little time between life and other hobbies recently, and this won't really change for a while. But, if everything goes well, I think I can resume development in a few months.

@EdmundIronside especially sorry for keeping you in the dark for so long. I'll do my best to help with UHVs if you're still interested. For now we could just add them to the latest released version (2.0.2), since the advciv version won't be finished for quite a while anyways.

Apropos advciv merge: it is essentially still in the state I left it last year (other than a bit of XML merging I've done since then.) I guess I now have the additional task of updating advciv to the latest version, hopefully git can do most of the work on that front :p

Hey great to hear from you @bluepotato!
I'm also pretty busy, but I do want to get those darn UHVs finished. Once they are done I can consider RFGW to be relatively complete, at least compared to most of the other main Rhyse and Fall mods like Asia, Classical World, Europe, etc. However until they are complete they will forever be mocking me for failing to help this mod take those last few steps to the finish line!
Though I will likely have more time in the summer, I could start working on them sooner or later depending on when you may be semi-active on the site. As much as I would like to back my coding skill, there is a 99.99% probability I will run into coding issue I can't resolve when trying to complete the UHVs!

Top Bottom