Welcome to Rhye's and Fall of the Greek World

Barbarians and Stability should be big problems for the mega empires. So I guess basically survival and trying to hold on/complete UHV's.

for me the interesting part will be the Bronze Age. IMO this era NEVER receives the attention it deserves, whether in real life, computer games, or Civ. I think you could have a tremendously dynamic game if you include the Mycenaeans, Minoans, Egyptians, Babylonians, Hittites, Sumerian city states, Elam, and many many others. There would be trade, diplomacy, embargoes, huge tech advances, massive battles, many wonders, etc. If you include invasions like the Hurrians, Hyksos, Aramaeans, Phrygians, etc. as well as the SEA PEOPLES you get a cataclysmic era to prepare for and weather if possible... (sorry, this is my area of expertise), but I think a fun part of this mod could be rebuilding after the "dark age" of 1200-800 or so (these dates are never set and some scholars dont believe there actually was a dark age at all) With the established Philistines, Neo-Hittites, and others, certain civs could make this into a scenario akin to Plotinus's Rood and the Dragon for Civ3, about the establishment of Anglo-Saxon culture on a Romanized island.

ANYWAY! I'm ranting... I would love to help in any way i can (which is mostly information, suggestions, and playtesting). this seems fantastic Rhye. I applaud your decision!

But the part I don't get is a 500 year age where no new civs spawn. This is the way I see it in my mind. I know/ at least hope Rome wont be a superpower every game, depends on a lot of factors. But in RL, it was. With most of the civs minus Byzantium spawning before Rome, what will that dry spell look like?

Similar to the 500 year period between Turkey and America in RFC? It's an expansion era, when the strong civs are actively colonising or conquering to increase the sizes of their empires, while the weak civs stagnate and collapse. In Greek World, though, there will be fewer hegemons (Rome, Persia, Carthage, perhaps one of the Greek states). But it's a big map and these guys have a lot to do.

You convinced me. Thank you!

BTW, is my avatar a bit of a downer. I don't like its frown... I can always add OP or IH as a new avatar.

You convinced me. Thank you!

BTW, is my avatar a bit of a downer. I don't like its frown... I can always add OP or IH as a new avatar.

It's a bit dour as a symbol for the protagonists, isn't it? I imagine anyone who knows what Transformers is won't be put off.

Rhye's and Fall of the Greek World is the sequel of Greek World, one of the mods that shipped with Civilization IV.
Rather than just an update to BTS, this is a project which aim is a full revision of the original mod, merging it with the RFC features.

Greek World was a pure scenario: set in 600BC, a turning point of Ancient History. It featured for the first time minor civs, city renamings and a couple of hidden civ respawns.
Rhye's and Fall of the Greek World will cover instead 3000BC to 600AD...rise and fall of civilizations of the Ancient Mediterranean.

Some have pointed out that RFC was developed under "Rhyetatorship", that is, decisions are made by one person (me) instead of democratically.
In the development of RFGW (Rhye's and Fall of the Greek World), my intention is to switch to a sort of constitutional monarchy: I'll keep making the key decisions in the first phases, but later assign part of responibilities to others, in order to perform a gradual dismissal.

All hail the Benevolent Dictator For Life

How about adding a playable barbarian civ to the mix, Goths for instance?

EDIT: nevermind, Q&A in the Civs discussion thread...

I'm a bit confused, if there isen't any specific concentration on the Greeks why is it called Rhye's and fall of the Greek World when this game out lasts them shoulden't it be called "Rhye's and Fall of the Ancient Mediteranean"?

Well I suppose the most obvious feature at first glance is the map, which, being based on Hecateus', very much shows a Hellenocentric "Greek World". Besides, RFTAM is a bit too similar to TAM :p

Is this project still in progress? I'd like to help if you need any. I can provide art assets if you need them.

It's been a while since I worked on Civ4. I was working on a custom leaderhead project... but I hit a dead end where I couldn't figure out basically the last problem standing in the way of animating it.

The trade may have progressed far enough to allow me to break through the barrier. It has been some time though, so I would probably be kind of slow starting.

I've also wanted to explore custom unit art. Of course static art like resources and buildings is all cake

Why don't you let me know of a couple of simple things you are looking for and I'll get my feet wet.

Top Bottom