Welcome to Road to War: Blitzkrieg

sangeli

Major General

The Blitzkrieg Mod is designed to emulate the military tactics and strategies used in World War two in Europe, especially Blitzkrieg. I have main two goals: making the gameplay more dynamic and realistic. This means that the gameplay will be more complexed and nuanced; there will be many features unique to this mod. In addition to enhanced gameplay, the AI will be smarter, there will be more units, and a larger map. Thus, it is suffice to say this mod is going to be less complex than Hearts of Iron II but more than Road to War. As you probably guessed, this mod is going to be based off of Road to War and thus captures some of the key elements, but with significant improvements. Hopefully, this mod will advance so far it barely resembles RTW

The Father of Blitzkrieg, General Heinz Guderian​

So far I have not yet started making the actual mod because I am still waiting for Dale to release the final version of RTW 3. However, I have tested a few features I am going add to the mod. So far this is what I have done:

Spoiler :
1. Military Control: Once your unit occupies an enemy square you own it.

2. Unit Fuel and Ammo: Each military unit has a supply of fuel and mechanized units also have fuel. When a unit is connected to the capital it automatically gets fuel and ammo. However, if it is cut off and has no ammo it becomes weaker and if no fuel it can't move.

3. (partially)Directional Fortification: Frontal attacks on defenders are now harder. Also, there are buttons to turn your units.

Obviously that is not all that I want to do but it is good for now. If you have any suggestions just write them in the suggestion thread.

Contributers:
GarretSidzaka (Fonts)
Dale (the entire base of the mod)
Grey Fox (UnitFuel)

EDIT: I just finished with the new and improved Military Control mod component. Click here to download it. It has a bunch of new features that allow it to work independent of a mod where war is a constant. If you want more info click here.

I'm not sure what is more intriguing, the ammo and fuel supply system, or the directional fortification.

More than unique units, graphics, techs or buildings, I get a thrill out of mods that change how the game is played.

I hope that there will be some modification to the strength of units.This MOD seems to be a more historically accurate MOD than RtW, so I hope to see some changes in that field. It looks pretty good so far, are you going to add new unique units? Or is it only limited to the units in the next RtW Addon?

It would be nice to see some new changes to the way airborne and marines fight. I mean, airborne would defend better when entrenched, which could take a turn and each sequential turn would give a larger bonus. And you could also add something such as supply drops, which would keep the airborne supplied and fueled for any other movement. Marines would also have the same situation. However, does supply automatically cross sea zones? For example, if you owned southern france and the mediterranean, would you get supply to Algeria, if you owned everything in between? The potential for this Mod looks astounding, but I would also like to see a unique airborne unit for the US, Britain, Germany and a unique (improved) marine unit for the US. That would be very interesting to see how that would play out. I hope that this one turns out better than the new RtW BETA though. :)

I would be happy to give you my Huge sized Europe map, once it is finished.

Well, what new ideas are you going to put in this Europe map of yours? I read some of your posts in the units strengths thread, some of them looked pretty good and some of your theories look complicated, but I assume reachable. I would like to either make my own or download an actually good WW2 MOD. But yeah, sure, I'll take you up on the offer when your finished.

Well, what new ideas are you going to put in this Europe map of yours? I read some of your posts in the units strengths thread, some of them looked pretty good and some of your theories look complicated, but I assume reachable. I would like to either make my own or download an actually good WW2 MOD. But yeah, sure, I'll take you up on the offer when your finished.

Well, I was talking to Sangeli, but you can have it too if you like.

The map is just a bigger version of the current Europe scenario. It contains no gameplay changes whatsoever, but I designed city locations with my Giant Unit List in mind. It should still work perfectly when using Dale's Addon Pack 3 beta2 though.

First off, I do intend to use the huge map of Europe eventually. That being said, I am going to work on gameplay and units before I work on the map (using different map requires re-working triggers and those sorts of things). So, Chamboozer, I'd appreciate it if you made the map but you can take your sweet time doing so.

Second, I do intend on making new units, but probably not on the first release. My plan is to wait for Asio's World War Two 1939 scenario and take most of his units, that way I dont' have to spend too much time on it.

Right now I am re-working the Military Control aspect. If you managed to look at some of my posts about Military Control you might have noticed a few significant problems. However, I feel that the new Military Control addresses all of the problems (there might be a few AI problems but we'll just have to wait and see). Within the next couple of days I'm going to release a Military Control mod component. I'll make sure to put it up here as well as in the mod compenent section.

I'm not sure what is more intriguing, the ammo and fuel supply system, or the directional fortification.

More than unique units, graphics, techs or buildings, I get a thrill out of mods that change how the game is played.

Oh, and by the way, there is going to be A LOT more of that kind of stuff. The ultimate gameplay component will (hopefully) be the Division. Basically, whenever you create a unit you are actually making a Division and within a division you have battalions. The key is that you specifically design each of your divisions and create a standard composition for each type. That means you can design divisions with any combination of battalions you want (8 battalions per division). The great thing is that you only have to do it once: once you standardize the composition of each type of division (armoured, infantry, etc) every unit you build of that said division has that exac composition. And if you want, you can make a custom division (you must choose the battalions every time you create the unit so it takes longe). Thus, you will be able to acheive superior control over your military, even more control than in super sophisticated games like HoI. Creating such a device as the Division is finally acheiving true combined arms warfare, yet to exist in any ame yet. However, this is a LONG ways away and you probably won't see it for at least a year (if ever).

Oh, and by the way, there is going to be A LOT more of that kind of stuff. The ultimate gameplay component will (hopefully) be the Division. Basically, whenever you create a unit you are actually making a Division and within a division you have battalions. The key is that you specifically design each of your divisions and create a standard composition for each type. That means you can design divisions with any combination of battalions you want (8 battalions per division). The great thing is that you only have to do it once: once you standardize the composition of each type of division (armoured, infantry, etc) every unit you build of that said division has that exac composition. And if you want, you can make a custom division (you must choose the battalions every time you create the unit so it takes longe). Thus, you will be able to acheive superior control over your military, even more control than in super sophisticated games like HoI. Creating such a device as the Division is finally acheiving true combined arms warfare, yet to exist in any ame yet. However, this is a LONG ways away and you probably won't see it for at least a year (if ever).

So are you going to organize this as: 1 unit is a battalion (lets say an infantry unit) and you can combine 8 of them to create an infantry division. And after you do, you can just tell a city to make another infantry division of that same structure?
Anyway, the MOD sounds awesome, I cant wait! :p

I'm more worried about the realism of directional defense. You won't need to keep your divisions in groups of 4 to defend from every angle, right? You should be able to make them center their defense for a smaller bonus from every angle.

What does directional defense at the battalion/divisional level represent in terms of the fortnight turn timeframes?

What does directional defense at the battalion/divisional level represent in terms of the fortnight turn timeframes?

First off, I want to change the fortnight to a week.

The whole idea is to emulate being surrounded. In other games, like HOI, you can attack one area from multiple areas at the same time. However, in Civ, you can only attack from one square at a time. Thus, as of now, there is no difference in putting 8 units in one square and attacking than having eight units, one in each square surrounding the enemy and attacking. However, with directional bonuses for the defender, attacking from one tile (assuming its a frontal attack) is far less effective than attacking from every tile because the bonus is not provided (each time you attack the defending unit turns and faces you automatically so it is possible to prevent the defender from ever getting the directional bonus.

The secondary function is to make the flanks of units more exposed (attacks from the sides are more effective) thus making and maintaining breakthroughs harder.

EDIT: As of now the AI doesn't know about facing. However, once I flush out the non AI problems I will try to figure out a way that the AI can use facing in an intelligent matter.

I'm more worried about the realism of directional defense. You won't need to keep your divisions in groups of 4 to defend from every angle, right? You should be able to make them center their defense for a smaller bonus from every angle.

Well this is how its going to work: turning a unit uses up movement points. So, if you are trying to make an advance at the enemy, you can't turn your units without slowing yourself down. However, I will make a button for making your units defend every direction evenly (that too takes up movement points) and get a plus 10% overall in defense.

So are you going to organize this as: 1 unit is a battalion (lets say an infantry unit) and you can combine 8 of them to create an infantry division. And after you do, you can just tell a city to make another infantry division of that same structure?
Anyway, the MOD sounds awesome, I cant wait! :p

You actually have to combine battalions into a division; battalions cannot exist on their own. In order to prevent the game from having too many units, I plan on upon creation of the division to, in sense, get rid of all the battalions. What I mean by that is that you can't actually look individually at each battalion: the only reminence of the battalion is the fact that the division is the accumulation of every unit (weighted by strength). For example, if you had a division of 7 infantry with 10 str and 25% bonus for cities and one tank of (for this example, obviously not true) 70 str with a 25% bonus against other tanks the division would look like this: 17.5 str 12.5% for cities 12.5% against tanks.

However, as I said, this project is far from even bein started; right now I am just brainstorming. More specifically, I need someone to design the interface for standardizing divisions.

Will all units be able to change their direction? It doesn't seem right for the maginot line to be able to turn around.

Is it possible to internalize this as much as possible to avoid the kind of micro-management that comes hand-in-hand with unit facing? Are you attempting to simulate battle lines here?

I guess what I should be asking is, do you want to create the specific unit facing idea you had because you really like that idea and want to see it in a game, or is this one idea you had to simulate unit facing/battle lines? If it's the former, awesome - that'd be cool to see if it could be done. If it's the latter, awesome - I will keep nitpicking and questioning and brainstorming if it's helping you refine the concept. :)

This whole thing sounds sweet. I hope you can figure out how to make facing and battalions and all work, and I'll take a look myself. Do you have any ideas yet of how you'll implement the battalion idea? I can start poking around starting with whatever ideas you have so far. And I know that the Afterworld mod uses some sort of facing; don't know if it gives a defense bonus tho, I'll have to look.

Top Bottom