Welcome to Road to War!

Dale

Mohawk Games Developer
Welcome all to The Road to War!

RtW is a mod in Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword. This forum can be used for discussions about the mod, as well as future features and scenarios.

I hope you enjoy the mod. :)

RtW Website: http://rtw.apolyton.net Updated 19 July 2007

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As posted in the General Forums in response to some posts by players:

Please note the following:

1. Remember, RtW was NOT a community mod. RtW is an official mod with Firaxis - Take 2's names on it. As designer, I was only one link in the chain. To that end, I had to work together with a number of other entities to ensure the mod was acceptable to the whole world.

2. As RtW stood at one point during development, there was 200 megs of leader graphics, 200 megs of unit models, and 200 megs of videos. That's 600 megs just for artwork. I HAD to cut it down. Hence, the videos were dropped and unit models were combined to cut the number of different models used.

3. Gameplay versus History. Always an interesting debate. Purists want history, and the average Joe wants gameplay. I wanted to target as many people as possible, and allow for a fun game in the WW2 environment. I believe I have achieved that. Consequently some elements of history were changed to fit the fun gameplay goal. If you want pure history, go play Hearts of Iron or Making History: The Calm & the Storm. If you want a fun game that simulates WW2, then play RtW.

I will comment no further on any of these issues. Please keep an eye on the RtW Forum: http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=265 and the RtW Website: http://rtw.apolyton.net. I am currently working on an add-on which will enhance the historical side of the mod.

Thanks
Dale

Features:

This mod was created by Dale, GarretSidzaka and Hexagonian, and will consist of three scenarios and three modes (on release). Two of the scenarios will be held in Europe with the remaining one will be in the Pacific. The three modes are Historic Events, Random Historic Events and Open Play. All three modes will be available for all three scenarios. Some of the new features are:

* Enhanced Bombing: There are three different bombing missions. You can now designate whether you are bombing defenses, factories, or civil buildings. This can really hurt production.
* Large maps with accurate city placements and historical unit numbers.
* Religions have been replaced with ideologies.
* The mapsize will be larger than your standard continents map, but due to improvements in the BtS engine the game runs faster.
* Dale has modified the AI over and above that of Blake's AI.

Historical Game

* Available all scenarios
* Cannot declare war, nor can you make peace.
* These type of events are scheduled and will happen on the historical date.

Random Historical Events

* Cannot declare war, nor can you make peace.
* These type of events are scheduled like Historical Events mode, but the events occur close to the historical date.

Open Style

* It's open season in regards to diplomacy, civics and all other choices
* Best mode for "What-If"

Later Un-Official Release
Dale has stated he will be releasing more parts of his mod after the official release of BTS. The official site of RtW will be Apolyton http://rtw.apolyton.net. This "un-official release" will contain:

* A global map
* All nations playable
* New graphics for the UU's
* You can switch with an ally civ
* 200 megs worth of videos made by Poly's hexagonia.
* Many more new features

Playable Civs

* Europe
o East Balkans
o Finland
o France
o Germany
o Italy
o Norway
o Poland
o United Kingdom
o United States
o USSR
o West Balkans
* Pacific
o Australia
o China
o Dutch East Indies
o Japan
o Philippines
o Siam
o United Kingdom
o USA
o Xinxiang

Non-playable Civs

* Europe
o Baltic States
o Iberia
o Low Country
o Sweden
o Turkey
* Pacific
o France
o Mongolia
o USSR

Reserved for screenshots.......

Dale, will there be different types of tanks for the countries ? Example, Germany, Panzer 2, Panzer 4, Panzer 5 Panther, Panzer 6 Tiger etc.

Yes ( 10 )

Yes ( 10 )

So do you mean 10 per civ, or 10 UUs in the scenario or what? I really think some screen-shots of the tech tree would certainly clear this up...<g>

Actually, it's "I have to make 10 characters for this to post" :p

The 8 majors have unique INF, TAN, FIG & BOM, 3 of each for 12 UU's each civ.

Well I got the game, and all the tanks, fighters, bombers look the same ... I hope you're gonna make some patches with different graphics for each unit.

The Mod is awesome except for the graphics.

Yeah, one of the late-dev-cycle requirements of Firaxis was to drastically cut the number of graphics loaded.

Add-on pack 1 will fix that. :)

First posts updated now that BtS is released. :)

It'll be a few weeks. I want some time between release and AP1 to make sure all the bugs are stamped out. :)

This looks cool, I wonder how the East Balkans will play. :)

East Balkans can be tough. If West Balkans aren't eliminated fast you'll end up being ground between them and the Russians.

you know, there is alot of interesting terrain in the balkans on this map. the cities are not cruched together like crazy (unlike alot of maps) and there is massive terrain to transverse and ambush enemies. Don't worry dale has upped the movement on alot of the units.

I'll be waiting for my copy of BtS and this scenario. Thanks for making this and getting the sub-forum guys.

Top Bottom