1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Road to War!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Road to War' started by Dale, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Mr_M0ntana

Mr_M0ntana Chieftain

I recently played the 1936 Europe scenario as Germany on accurate historical events on Noble difficulty. By December 1939 I had created Vichy France - but was dissapointed when they had absolutely no army, I'm not sure but weren't they allowed 100,000 men on mainland France, and another 50,000 in North Africa. But that wasn't much of a problem as I supplied them with tanks, infantry, artillery, lots of improved anti air guns (as that was the only unit they were making at the time!) and a small airforce of focke 190s and the German improved bombers. Before Germany declared war on Russia (June 1941) I had conquered France, half of Poland (USSR the other half), Norway, Canada, British Isles and its colonies abroad (Egypt, Iraq and Iran) [[Iran wasn't controlled by Britain at the start of the war - it was independant, in 1942 Britain and the USSR made a coalition against it because it was pro Germany]] and my allies conquered mainland Greece and Yugoslavia. When I reached August 1941 I had also captured USSR cities Stavropol, Murmansk, Riga and its Polish cities. But then it said we had won a conquest victory even though we still had most of Russia to take over and invade mainland America in December 1941, and Turkey in 1945 (as they declare war on Germany). I don't know how to mod things or what you can mod but if you can give Vichy France a small army and navy, change the terms for the conquest victory and somehow make the AI continually focus on their army (as after a while they just focus totally on research, which made it so easy for me.)
    Thanks for making such an awesome mod

2. kiwitt

kiwitt Road to War Modder

Mr Montana: Take a look at my changes.

3. Mr_M0ntana

Mr_M0ntana Chieftain

Where are your changes?

4. kiwitt

5. Mr_M0ntana

Mr_M0ntana Chieftain

I've downloaded your changes but don't know where to put them, I've replaced the ones that have the same name as the ones the XML categories, but some of your changes I can't find on the scenario itself.

6. kiwitt

Can you be more specific ? What changes can you not see ?

You should select my WBS and you will need to place this file in the same place as Dale's to see it.

7. Mr_M0ntana

Mr_M0ntana Chieftain

I loaded the WBS as the British Empire and it just said You have been defeated!!

8. kiwitt

Thanks for that. I'll test it out.

I have only tested it with the German's so far. Need to playtest all nations :(

9. Mr_M0ntana

Mr_M0ntana Chieftain

Thats another thing, Germany wasn't on the list of playable Civs.

10. kiwitt

Not sure what happened to you but I just loaded "The British Empire" and it was fine.

11. Mr_M0ntana

Mr_M0ntana Chieftain

It's probably because I need to add some of the files you added, the ones I didn't know where they went were - Civ4GameText_WW2_Objects and CIV4ImprovementInfos.

12. Vertico

Vertico Chieftain

Hi I played BTS version of this mod.
    Very interesting but few things were quite anoying.
    For instance why German infantry is 4 times stronger than any other Infantry? Men fought with children? The same with tanks and other stuff...

The other thing I noticed is USSR when inviding Poland in '39 doesn't invade Baltics, which is incorrect.

I will try now ultimate mod - I hope it got improved as it is not Firaxis version anymore.

13. kiwitt

14. Maaximillus

Maaximillus Vice Admiral

The term "Russia invaded the Baltics in June 1940 militarily." is kinda harsh to use since it was bloodless annexation. (Even if it really was invasion the term makes it look like war)

True about strenght of units, but the "superiority" of german tanks can be widely argued. While we all know they were used better than any other nation used tanks, In 1939-1940 German tanks were inferior to newwest French models in both armor and firepower. It was the French battle doctrine that made French tanks perform bad. The legendary T-34 tank also dominated all other German tanks until Panzer IV Ausf. D. Also by late 1944 Soviet Union had better tanks that Germany (Joseph Stalin tank for example). While looking at numbers and stats (and training) Joseph Stalin was "weaker" than The modern german courterparts (Panther Ausd. G. and Königstiger) but by mid 1944 germanys lack of resources was so heavy that they had to mix alternative ingredients that caused armor to be so unstable that during bumby ride it could crack due to the weight of armouring theese heavy tanks had. And by 1944 all german doctrines were obsolete (like blitzkrieg).

All in All the success in West (battle of France) was not because German tanks would be superior, but because German tactics and doctrine was superior and in East the "superiority" of German tanks was often challenged. Especially when we consider that superior tank loses its value when you can't produce them enough or have no oil to use them. :lol:

15. kiwitt

Some of my units have the "leadership" promotion (amongst others) even when they do not have a "General" assigned this allows them to simulate better "leadership" or other traits. i.e. the British Fighter Sqns and the German Panzer Divs. Note: most higher level units (corps and armies) have the leadership promotion and ins some case a "General" assigned.

16. fireclaw722

fireclaw722 Imperial Guard

Whats up with the Great People's names, i.e: Never say you reached the final road

17. kiwitt

Yeah Noticed that.

One Idea I have is to give each Nation unique Great People. e.g. German Artists, German Scientists, German Generals, German Merchants.

It is not too hard to do technically, but would take quite a while to research all the names and as this is a "Military Mod", not sure where the benefit would be. Most AI countries would simply add them to a city or launch a golden age, so their life is short (i.e. 1 or 2 turns).

However, I am consdering adding custom Generals (using the unit graphics some people have created already), Which would give each country a unique "Generals" list.

18. fireclaw722

That would make it more realistic than the odd Great People names

19. fireclaw722

Quick Question:
    How do I use the "civ customizer" part of the mod?

20. zoller32

zoller32 Chieftain

Hi
    have played this mod for the first time. (1936 as germany)
    One question.
    As germany, do I get Austria and Tjekkoslovakia in some kind of event ?
    historically they where both a part af germany when the war starts in sept 1939.