Welcome to the Rapture project

johny smith

Deity
Well I want to perhaps start fresh with this mod again now that it has been so long. I am open to any suggestions. I started a thread here for that purpose if anyone is interested.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=350260

Hello and welcome to Rapture.

What is Rapture? It is a spiritual expansion to BtS. It is not just religions. Of course it is about religions, but it adds a whole new commerce just like espionage or research. It is spiritual commerce. Everything is based on whether or not you have the spiritual points. The entire mechanics of the game will be change on how religions are found.

First of all there is a split into what types of religions are planned so far. This is minus any future or modern religions at this point. There are 4 groups.

1.Families--These are basic culturally related religious beliefs. These are the names you see as Nordic for example. These are the first stages of religion, and are founded at the start of your civilization building its first city. Basic mythology

2.Cults--These require a family in order to be made. Similar to how religions are in the Gods of Old mod. Each are focused on one god from the family. These will require a building to built similar to Gods of Old. Like in the case of the Mythra cult in Rome.

3.Faiths--These are the standard religions as found in BtS. These are founded via a technology. These from the parent in a parent child relationship with the child being the denominations. For example Catholic being a parent and Protestant being a splinter off of Christianity.

4.Denominations--These are like the faiths but are founded by a prophet performing a religious schism. Schisms can occur in two ways: Via a prophet mission, and based on game years.

Spread and decay of the religions are based on spiritual commerce. In case of families the spiritual commerce determines the holy city.

Now to try to explain why the ideas versus normal BtS. The earlier aka pagan religions were not spread as present day religions are. Most older religions were simply related to particular group of people, and even could be argued for some of the present religions. I wanting a civilization to spread cults in these times. For example Rome did not convert to a Persian or Vedic religion just because they took in Mithra nor did they loose faith in their other gods because of this new cult.

If a religion was not commonly spread through missionaries converting people and it is a very old religion attached to a culture group then it is considered pagan in Rapture. If a religion is a secret group and/or focusing on one particular god while at the same time accepting other gods it is a Cult. I plan to give a list of all religions in development for Rapture. I hope for suggestions on improvement.

All of these downloads should be treated as alpha. They all use BtS 3.19. I still have a dll and code as well in the WoC Lite Rapture for BtS 3.17.

WoC Lite Rapture Download
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=10440

RevDCM Rapture Download
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=14017

RevDCM Rapture(Only Religions)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=14028

To install simply extract the files to your mods folder. You will need either winrar or 7zip to extract the files. Both can be used freely. In your mods folder you should see the folder for the mod and inside of this folder you should see the assets folder. The path should look something like this.

Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\RevolutionDCM\Assets
Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\WoC Lite\Assets

Some screenshots.

I think I once downloaded an earlier version of this mod.

Two questions...

1 - I'm assuming all seven original Civ4 religions will be included. Will new ones be added? And if so, how exotic are you willing to get? Will we see everything from Zoroastrianism to Vodoun to Scientology included in this mod?

2 - Are all religions created equal? Does each have the standard trappings of Civ4 religion - missionaries, monasteries, shrines, etc. - or do certain groups have access to things that other groups don't?

1 - I'm assuming all seven original Civ4 religions will be included. Will new ones be added? And if so, how exotic are you willing to get? Will we see everything from Zoroastrianism to Vodoun to Scientology included in this mod?

The seven are included but they are not the same. Taoism is just a denomination. Zoroastrianism is a faith basically replacing it.

Vodou is sort a later religion in the use of the word now. The older west African family I am working on. I don't know how it will fit in yet. I am thinking about like Sufism in a way. Which I may later find a way to incorporate. These two are more folk beliefs but are not same as the earliest pagan religions.

Anyway the later ones in time past industrial era I have not done yet. I want them to act different then any of the 4 types listed above.

2 - Are all religions created equal? Does each have the standard trappings of Civ4 religion - missionaries, monasteries, shrines, etc. - or do certain groups have access to things that other groups don't?

No. Each group plays differently.

The faiths and denominations are the same more or less. That is the same mostly. Except you need of course a schism to found a denomination.

Families are just like ethnic folk belief. It is intended as the weakest, but at the same time I planning unique things for them. When you begin your civ just starts with one.

Cults require a wonder to be found the cult, but in order to build the wonder you need the correct religion like Hellenism for the Statue of Zeus Once you build the wonder you receive the cult. Which is meant to be very unique. Like for example. What benefits worshiping Zeus would give you?

I don't know if that cleared it up or not. All of the god symbols in the file are for the Cults. Which can be changed slightly if people have ideas for better cults.

Johny, can you change the names of civ-specific religions. It's a horrible pet peeve of mine. Ex)Hellenism -> Olympian

Please download Rapture before making a suggestion. If you have well this is not one religion. These are four religions. One is a mythology of a region. Then there 3 to a specific god called cults. You only get the mythology by being a particular civ. The cults can be only founded by having a mythology. You can get a cult by another civ spreading it to your civ.

Olympian is not a proper name for various Mediterranean religions. This is not a Greek exclusive religion. Hellenism mythology goes beyond the borders Greece. It is not Olympian nor is it a religion that builds cathedrals, monasteries, and shrines. You cannot spread Hellenism in my mod.

Wow, I did not know this. It may be some time before I dl this, maybe at the end of June. (Honestly, I download RevDCM 2.0 when it came out and still haven't played it, nor Quot Capita.)
You have this very thought out, as it wasn't even in my imagination for this, like when the TV was introduced. I'll let you know when I play it.

Well Egyptian might need a better name though. Nile maybe. Not Kemetism that is a neo-pagan religion formed. I would like something more geographical sounding of northeast Africa. If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

Exactly how far along is this mod? Did it just start or is it nearly done? The idea's look phenomenal by the way, and I await its final release.

Started a year at least ago. It is a good ways in. I do not have art for all of the pagan buildings yet. I do have art for the denominations. The code functions but needs to be improved.

I figured I would place the screenshots here as well.

108 units made by me.
Spoiler :

I may try something for the buildings in a screenshot when I can or movies.

I updated the pagan religion sections, but will need to add more. I listed first the religion family then each cult. I also included the mp3 for the group. I will need to do the denominations as well. Then later will start listing other things that religions have as in units, buildings, wonders, and promotions.

Sorry I just discovered there is some bug with new unit actions for some reason in 3.19 with Rapture I need to track down. So manual schisms and remove religions are not functioning. Trying to figure it out now.

A few sugestions:
-cults should be limited(one per city)
-remove Denominations from found new religion pop-up -you can not found them
-on normal speed everything is too fast and confusing, it's like every turn-new religion, limiting how many religions you can found should help
-all religions are the same
-you should get some penalties from non-state religions
-cult's shrine are too cheap (1 turn on normal speed, should be more, and should bring some bonuses)

(I played a normal speed game on small map)

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am not leaving things as they are. Some of that was just put in there to test. Like 1 turn for cult shrine. Cults I plan to allow to spread to foreign civs even. I am still going to add promotions to them only if it is your state religion.

I need to disable the found new religion popup. Too many religions is the problem automatically being founded. Waiting on some code changes to implement on how many can be founded based on map size and a limit set in xml.

All denominations will be the same. Cults will not. Still working on them.

Non-state religions penalty will be revolution thinking in the future. Basically your empire splintering.

Just things not done yet. I do not plan to leave at it is. And always could use some help. Just trying to straighten out the pagan religions now, and waiting on some code changes from faichele.

The gamespeed will be changed. You will begin in 10000 BC, and you will not found a normal game religion till at least 1000 BC. Between 10000 BC and 1000 BC will be all pagans when finished.

Thanks again. I know hard to understand with so many missing pieces what I have in mind. And could be a better way. Just I can only do so much at once trying to work on adding pagan temple art now.

I began working more on pagan buildings. I also put in the older tech tree I had with an neolithic era added to the beginning of it. So the tech tree is just in and needs some work, but it gives an idea of what I have in mind about the cults. They should have enough time to be the most important religions instead of the normal religions running parallel with them. Anyway might make more sense now.

Looking at the name, I thought it was a mod about American Protestant Fundamentalism specifically.

The name I came up with because I am planning Revolution in this with the religion more or less being a force that brings a Rapture on your empire because of so many religions. Basically religion controls you in more cases versus you control the religion.

Would it be okay if I were to use some of the art from your mod in my Europe Through The Ages Scenario?

Yes of course it is ok. That is why I mentioned it before in your thread. I am waiting on some help on the SDK now. I really do not know when it will be done. Well anyway if anyone wants to help out I need it. I am taking a hiatus for a little while on modding.

Top Bottom