Welcome to the World of Civilization Project

TAfirehawk

WoC Team Manager
The World of Civilization, or WoC as we like to call it, is a PROJECT first and foremost, not a mod or module or modcomp. The core revolves around "fixing" the modular xml loading originally developed by Impaler and released by Firaxis in Beyond the Sword, BtS.

After the WoC Core is downloaded and installed in the BtS\Mods folder, a player or modder can add/subtract game components simply by moving module folders from Modules to Unloaded Modules or vice versa.

This is a collaboration of Impaler and the ViSa Team...Impaler created the first Modular XML Loading system in Warlords and Firaxis picked it up and included it in BtS. Now the WoC Team has expanded/enhanced/fixed what Firaxis released and turned it into the WoC Standard.

___________________________________________________________________________________________​

The idea behind the WoC Project is to create a better and easier Modular XML Loading system for both players and modders. We have made a revolutionary upgrade to the system Firaxis released in BtS. This is something we saw a large need for while putting together 50+ modcomps into the ViSa Expansion Pack we made for Warlords. So this is really something we wanted to do for our own modding but soon realized this WoC Standard is great for every modder AND every player.

This is just v0.92 so it is a bit rough and we need help testing before releasing a v1.00. We have quite a few Modules done but are still refining the WoC Standard so not all of them are released in this beta.

The premise for the player is to be able to select any and all Modules that he/she wants EACH AND EVERY GAME. So instead of looking at 10 different modpacks, you can choose them all or bits and pieces from each....or none at all. This puts the choice in the hands of the player. We believe the MAJOR ADVANTAGE of the WoC is to provide a system where the player can decide what he/she wants...not just what a mod maker decides to include in a mod.

We will have an "Front End Program" with v2.00 that runs before BtS and allows a player to choose Modules without actually interacting with folders/files, but using a graphical interface that also has the ability to save a configuration (needed for MP games).

The premise for the modder is to be able to use ONE FORMAT to allow for less work to be done....work shared amongst all other modders so we aren't re-inventing the wheel in each modpack. The "nuts and bolts" of it are that as a modder you supply only CHANGED/NON-DEFAULT tags in your XML, which makes it infinitely easier to fix/change/add things since it is only things you have changed from the Firaxis XML are in your Module.

The entire WoC package is needed to build your own mod upon...except the Modules. We would like to keep the same folder names in the Modules area just to allow easy install, but folder names are not required. One feature, Relative Art Paths, does make it easy to port over existing mods because the Arts folder setup used by Firaxis is maintained within each Module (this is easy to see once you have the files, or browse the SVN via a web browser).

___________________________________________________________________________________________​

Please use the "Module" threads to discuss specifics bugs/requests/misc things related to each group.

Please use the "WoC" threads to discuss the Modding Standard bugs/requests/misc things that are structure/python/sdk related.

Specific links are in the next post....

We have a web page:

www.worldofcivilization.com

www.worldofcivilization.net

SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/worldofciv

Bug Tracker: http://woc.dreamhosters.com/bugtracker/bugtracker.htm

SVN browse by your explorer: http://worldofciv.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/worldofciv/

SVN address for developers: https://worldofciv.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/worldofciv

Jabber chat: http://kingshomeworld.com:8080/red5/login.html - World of Civilization room

Jabber client, Spark: http://www.igniterealtime.org/downloads/index.jsp

Mailing list for developers only: woc@worldofcivilization.net

Any mail send to this address will be forwarded to all developers

If you want to get removed or added, send a mail to mrgenie at gmx.de

I have added some more details on the WoC Project above....I have lots more documentation to come as we are almost ready for v1.00 to be released.

I noted that you do not have an example for CIV4UnitArtStyleTypeInfos.xml while you do have a changed CIV4CivilizationsSchema.xml (which is also used by CIV4UnitArtStyleTypeInfos.xml).

Is CIV4UnitArtStyleTypeInfos.xml also pluggable now (i.e. allowing partial definitions of changes which are to be added to the 'main' definition instead of overwriting it) ?

To me this is one of the most important xml files, not having this in your new pluggable format would be a major letdown.

I noted that you do not have an example for CIV4UnitArtStyleTypeInfos.xml while you do have a changed CIV4CivilizationsSchema.xml (which is also used by CIV4UnitArtStyleTypeInfos.xml).

Is CIV4UnitArtStyleTypeInfos.xml also pluggable now (i.e. allowing partial definitions of changes which are to be added to the 'main' definition instead of overwriting it) ?

To me this is one of the most important xml files, not having this in your new pluggable format would be a major letdown.

As roger said...we have it...

IF we don't have something, let us know after v1.00 release, and we will do it as long as it isn't tied up in the EXE.

The goal here is to make this new Standard fully workable by every single Civ 4 BtS modder.

This is a wonderful project, I salute all those involved in getting it organized and approaching v1.00! I definitely will both convert my mod to this approach and contribute SDK pieces in the future. Cheers!

Great to hear your support....and we have your AutoAI in already :D

I can't seem to find the old site where I could post I known it was something like worldofcivilizationproboards. but I can't find it.

That is closed....it is enough work to keep up with one forum :)

Interesting, and brilliant. I am a bit confused as to how this all will work. I'm assuming modular and non-modular stuff will eventually be in conflict (and I expect to keep working on non-modular stuff for quite a while still). Let's say you want to combine part of something modular into a non modular mod. Could you merge the mods (to gain modular capability), without problems, then put the wanted modular components into it, using it almost like a VCR? EDIT: Stupid question, I realize now that the modules just link to the actual stuff allowing you to turn parts of a mod off. Which I knew it did... who knows what I was thinking... EDIT: on third thought, ARE there any sort of compatibility or merging issues? (just in case)

Also, are there any modules for resources? I noticed new resource icons on J.S.'s gamefont.

I have a question about how the modules work. If I made a new civics set for WOC other peoples leader modules would not be compatible because they don't have the right favorite civic, same with the techs?

Well, technically speaking they would be compatible in that they do not break, but they of course would not make use of your tech or civic. You would need to also provide / change leaders to use / favour your civic.

That is nothing WoC can fix, WoC resolves technical dependencies, not design dependencies.

I have a question about how the modules work. If I made a new civics set for WOC other peoples leader modules would not be compatible because they don't have the right favorite civic, same with the techs?

That is easily done with the new Dependency tags we have in V0.92

And for the "default" Civs in BtS, it is even easier as you just add the couple lines in the CivilizationInfos.xml to add a new civic category.

Well, technically speaking they would be compatible in that they do not break, but they of course would not make use of your tech or civic. You would need to also provide / change leaders to use / favour your civic.

That is nothing WoC can fix, WoC resolves technical dependencies, not design dependencies.

You are selling the WoC very short, we have this issue resolved and there is next to nothing that we haven't or will be solving in the WoC. We thought about this and resolved it 99% about 3 months ago.....

Top Bottom