1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Well that's not nice...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Mordraken, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Mordraken

Mordraken Chieftain

I am playing a game (first Prince level game, large Continents, I'm Catherine) where I am on the same continent with Montezuma, Gengis Kahn and Alexander. I was the only one to found a relgion, and my religion quickly spread to all the other civilizations. I also actively traded with each one, and had at best a +15 rating with Kahn, and +13 with Monte & Alexander. Monte was a little lower because he was in a war with Kahn, and I refused to aid him. Alexander was low because I refused to give him tribute.

Well, at about 1600, just after the "most powerful civilization" rankings came out (Alexander #2, me #6 out of 7), Alexander declared war on me. Strange that a nation that can be so friendly for so long, and have such good relations would all of a sudden declare war on their neighbour.

Fortunatley they're still pumping out elephants and macemen while I've got grenediers & cossacks, but I'm just ramping up my military and he's already there... Gonna be a tough fight!

2. vinstafresh

vinstafresh Prince

You provoke the AI by not defending yourself. They see an opportunity to take at least a city or two. If you had worked on your defense more, they wouldn't feel as sure of themselves as they do now (whether that's justified or not). Monty doesn't care about being out-teched and/or outnumbered though, he's a hardcore warmongering masochist!

3. Mordraken

Mordraken Chieftain

Yeah, I expected Monte to be the first one attacking (I had my cities on his border reinforced) but didn't expect Alexander to come calling. I have to hold out against about 10 units (3 elephants, 2 pikemen, 2 cat's and the rest macemen) with a bit more than half a dozen muskateers over 3 towns and in 10 turns I'll have at least 5 cossacks and 3 cat's to attack one of his cities. Once my war machine gets turned on (I used to be a pacifist) it won't stop rolling (until Monte declares war on me too...).

4. Crighton

Crighton Emperor

something I've noticed is that after you set aside enough military for defense teh Ai is less likely to do something foolish like that if you have a substantial and seperate military force for invasions.

Of course . . . you did break the golden rule of warmongering.

"Do unto others before they do unto you."

5. Junichiro

Junichiro Warlord

To my experience, Alexander is the most likely to ignore such little details like having very good relationships for 3000 years...as opportunistic **** he is definitely high on my most-hated list (Monty is much more reliable in unreliableness, and easy to persuade to attack someone else...)

But anyway, everyone is more likely to attack you if you don't keep large enough army.

6. KabukiJo

KabukiJo Chieftain

Yup, Alexander is a d***. Last game (Prince, continents, everything else random) he was my neighbor with same religion. Since I was going for a Diplomatic victory i cozy-ed up to him and Saladin for their votes (gave into every demand, helped him out in war, etc.). Saladin voted for me every time but Alex, the jerk, wouldn't vote for me for diplomatic victory. Next time I see him close to me I'm taking him out as soon as his UU is obsolete.

7. maltz

maltz King

Could you bribe some of them to go after each other? They will make perfect life-long enemies to each other. :)

8. Reprisal

Reprisal Warlord

Alexander, or any AI, would not vote for you if it meant that they would vote against themselves. Was Alexander the other choice on the ballot?

9. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

In this treacherous and unreliable regard, the AI acts very like a human player.

In one game, I was Caesar on one big continent with all the other civs. I made Mansa, my Southern neighbour, into my buddy--he traded and even gave me techs, I converted to his religion. Meanwhile I took out Monty, Saladin, and Huayna. He was also a buffer between me and Peter, who was even further south, and I joined him, symbolically, in war against Russia a couple of times.

Well, it's late game, and I'm 5% of the world's land mass from a domination victory. I guess I could have gone after Peter, but my good buddy was conveniently closer, including his holy city, which I'd practially paid for by sending it gold for centuries following my conversion, so it was rightfully mine anyway, right?

With friends like me, you don't need enemies. :evil:

10. Jmaz

Jmaz Chieftain

I aplologize if this is already known to you but you don't have to wait for those screens to appear telling you strength and such. Use the graph icon in the upper right and there is a pull down menu forr all those goodies. very useful