Were the House of Saud to fall today, what would Saudi Arabia be called?

Plexus

Architeuthidae puericomedentis
I was thinking, hypothetically, if the House of Saud were to fall, what would the country that is currently known as Saudi Arabia be called? 'Arabia' wouldn't be optimal, because Arabia is a larger place than Saudi Arabia.

Thoughts?

The Islamic Republic of Arabia? >_>

just plain Arabia!

Evil Tyrant said:
[insert name of organization or family here] Arabia
That sounds most logical to me. If it fell and went into some sort of republic/democracy, then probably just 'the republic of arabia' or some predictable name like that.
But i want 'Kingdom of the giant radioactive monkey'. I'd like them more if they did that.

farting bob said:
But i want 'Kingdom of the giant radioactive monkey'. I'd like them more if they did that.

Seeing as this is Saudi Arabia we are talking about, they would probably name it the Kingom of the Giant Oily Monkey. :mischief:

People's Republic of Arabia (trying to think how or why the house of Saud would fall)

The only power base which would come to the fore should the House of Saud fall, that even has a sniff of power, is the Wahabist Clerics. Call it what you will, but it won't be pretty.

I wager The People's Republic of Arabia and the Holy City of Mecca

The Caliphate of Arabia. That's the only reason the House of Saud would fall right now.

Depends who get into power. As Fundamentalists would most likely take the power they would certainly mention it in the country's name. Something like the Islamic Republic of Arabia. Actually, it could even not mention Arabia at all since those talking about an Arab culture are mostly nationalists opposed to the religion.

However, if it would want to become more accurate it could be named "Nejd" as it's the main central territory of the country (the Sauds were formerly bedouins from the Nejd). However that would piss off Yemenites from the South and other minorities.

EDIT :
Cuivienen said:
The Caliphate of Arabia. That's the only reason the House of Saud would fall right now.
Actually I like this one.

Marla_Singer said:
Depends who get into power. As Fundamentalists would most likely take the power they would certainly mention it in the country's name. Something like the Islamic Republic of Arabia. Actually, it could even not mention Arabia at all since those talking about an Arab culture are mostly nationalists opposed to the religion.

However, if it would want to become more accurate it could be named "Nejd" as it's the main central territory of the country (the Sauds were formerly bedouins from the Nejd). However that would piss off Yemenites from the South and other minorities.

EDIT :
Actually I like this one.

The british and french imperialism there contributed much for the explosive situation we have now. Although the Middle East was always violent, the artificial borders created only with imperialism in mind put rival ethnic groups together and separated friendly ethnic groups. This is a good cause for a civil war.

Without strong dictators, I doubt that Arabia would maintain its union. It would have a civil war.

Civlord said:
The british and french imperialism there contributed much for the explosive situation we have now. Although the Middle East was always violent, the artificial borders created only with imperialism in mind put rival ethnic groups together and separated friendly ethnic groups. This is a good cause for a civil war.

Without strong dictators, I doubt that Arabia would maintain its union. It would have a civil war.
The Middle East wasn't always violent... Ignorance.

Civlord said:
It's been pretty badly seen in the US when Nasser's Egypt attempted to create an Arab United Republic with Syria and Iraq. The thing is that, pragmatically speaking, I don't see any country in the world who would like a United Arabia in the region. However, it's also far from true to say that Arabs themselves would necessarily want it.

The thing is that the Arab Unity isn't so obvious. Most Arab countries are very diverse with very specific History. All countries aren't artificial. Egypt isn't, Morocco isn't, Tunisia isn't, Yemen isn't. There are very specific cultures in the different parts of the Arab World. Even the arab language in itself is very various. It won't be that easy for a Moroccan to understand a Yemenite. And if Nasser's attempt to unify the Arab world has failed, it's widely because it failed internally, not so much because of international pressures. I believe that the Arab World has a united future only in the frame of a regional union such as the EU, not as a unique country.

However, what you say remains right since France and British involvement after the fall of the Ottoman Empire played a part mostly in the division of the Arabian nomadic lands where lies today Syria, Iraq and Saudi Arabia.

If we want to settle democracy in the Middle East, it's clear that Saudi Arabia wouldn't be the best country to start.

Well, SA used to be called Najd, so...

Top Bottom