1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Werewolf attacks palace event - what does it do?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Ranos, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Ranos

Ranos King

I've gotten this event a few times and can't figure out what it does. No info is given when hovering over the options like other events. I tried both options and can't see any effects from either of them. I tried looking in CvRandomEventInterface.py but couldn't find anything there. The event text is in the spoiler.

Spoiler :
    A werewolf attacks your palace. Five men rush through the portculis but a sixth lags behind. If we close the portculis we will save the five, but the slow man will be killed. If we do nothing the werewolf will ignore the slow man and kill the five in the yard. What should we do?
    • Drop the portculis, it is better that one should die than five.
    • Leave the gate open, I will not take an action that kills a man no matter if my inaction dooms five others.

Does anyone know what this does?

2. Lade

Lade Prince

I've been wondered this myself, after having it happen three times in one game and no effect happening

3. JeffSteel

JeffSteel Warlord

I think it is a reference to the civelopedia entry for Hyborem's Whisper, the infernal world spell. As far as I know it has no actual effect. Would be kinda neat if it affected your alignment, but whatever.

4. dwhee

dwhee Warlord

How would it effect your alignment? Both decisions seem pretty "neutral" in my book. I dropped the portcullis- why would I kill 5 men instead of 1??? Not a very well-written event.

In fact, the new events that were added seem to have a bit of a theme: they're riddled with grammatical errors, their effects don't make sense much of the time (there is absolutely no reason to select certain options), and frequently they don't do anything at all. I wish they did- events really fit the atmosphere. But right now they just seem thrown into the game.

SOME events are really good- like the crazy financial advisor that causes you to either raise or lower inflation. Or at least, if it applies to everyone in the world (not sure if it does) it's a good event because you make a strategic decision based on your economy's standing. Inflation might hurt you, but it might hurt other people more.

5. loocas

loocas Prince

It's a classic moral dilemma, utilitarianism vs. personal inculpability. Probably meant to be a chain event but none of the other chain events have worked too well. If I'm not mistaken there was a problem, perhaps even in BTS, that messed them up. Don't remember too well though.

6. vivictius

vivictius Prince

I've been asking for a while what some of these quests do but no ones seems to know or be willing to answer. Half the celestial ones dont seem to do anything either. One that I really dont get is the enchanter that will give one of your warrior/axeman/etc enchanted weapon or you can pay more and the Enchantment One promotion, thing is, that does nothing if you are not a dwarf or adept+.

7. Fafnir13

Fafnir13 King

I've had a couple versions of that spawn. Choosing the various options doesn't seem to do anything...kind of worries me.
    Although I do find it funny to have a person get pushed into the werewolf patch. And you thought the cabbages were scary. ;)

On the financial adviser one, do you really see that as a choice? Making everything cost more, permanently, for a little bit of culture just doesn't add up in my book. Sure, the Balseraphs get a special one from it, but I feel that it is somewhat of a wasted event. A lot of them seem that way. Sorry that I can't get more specific then that.
    I can say that dedicating a monument is one of the best out there. Lot's of options and two which are civilization specific and full of flavor.

8. shoggi

shoggi Team RifE Grunt

If I'm not wrong, there are at least 2 versions of the werewolf event. one if you're neutral and one if you are evil. Don't know if good has one too.
    If you are neutral you have the choice to let the portculis open or close it, if you are evil you have the choice to kick one guy from the wall so that he lands in front of the werewolf, or let the five others be eaten.

I had both in seperate games, and both don't seem to do anything.

9. PanzerWolf

PanzerWolf Chieftain

Maybe it's just there to make the game feel more "alive"? To make you feel more of a part of it?

10. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

One of the options hurt all my units.

11. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Deity

I agree that some of them are no-brainers as far as the choices go. (Not counting the civ- or religion-specific choices). There was a thread about that, but it might be best to start a new one.

12. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

Really? In BTS inflation was terrifying and having the event that allowed you to decrease inflation was almost gamebreaking.....

But in FfH it seems that with most civs I can manage my civic costs pretty well with other means.... now that the Forbidden Palace is a national wonder I can basically build 3 palaces at the the far reaches of my empire and thereby throttle down inflation pretty well.

I just take the gimme culture... but then again.... I'm not a particularly awesome player.... still learning some civs

13. smusebaer

smusebaer Warlord

I had the event with the Bandit king. I could kill him, andgat some happyness, or recuit him and gain a horseman with hero but get a lot of temp. unhappyness ... very cool event. Or the kidnaped engineer... very cool.
    I think the best events are the ones that give and take at the same time. The event With the hillgiant ist great. If the result of an event spawns a unit, thats a fun event... even if it´s a barbarian unit...

14. WarKirby

WarKirby Arty person

I think it's implied that the 5 men might be able to defeat the werewolf if they stand against it together.

15. Ranos

Ranos King

I think all of the celestial ones do something, some of the effects aren't really obvious and only do good under very specific circumstances. I think that's the point of some of those is you have to figure out what they mean.

Some events are useless if you get them too early in the game. Most of the time the religous related celestial events always happen at the beginning of the game before any religions have been founded. Then I never see them later.

Most of the events I have seen are well done but some of them and when they appear seem like they need work.

16. [NWO]_Valis

[NWO]_Valis A bad kitty!

The religious event [the constellations] are in the game to increas the number of overall event with no requirements. If not for them you would get over and over again 3 or 5 same events happening, like the goblin pop event. Later were more of other requirements are met other events take place in the event queue so the constellations events happen rarely.

I think the team is still open for new event ideas, the more the better, especially those with no special pre requirements.

17. Neomega

Neomega Deity

I had a game with a chain event that worked using mages guilds, it was pretty cool. :) It was about 4 decisions, IIRC.

18. DioBrando

DioBrando Warlord

Some of the constellations magically heal your units, or make some of your tiles into grasslands, tundras or desert. It's kinda only noticable if you see it in action,

19. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

I know that the "raging storms" constellation will put out fires.... it's like one massive Spring spell.... :eek:

20. Methuselah

Methuselah King

Aeron will raise the AC by 3.
    Agares will allow Ashen Veil civs to start a golden age.
    Amathon offers good civs the ability to buy a great prophet, or gain some beakers towards their research goal.
    Arawn has no effect I believe.
    Bhall will warm some squares up temporarily (snow to tundra, tundra to grass, grass to plains, plains to desert.)
    Camulos will give a -1 diplomacy modifier with other players.
    Ceridwen offers evil civs the ability to buy a great prophet, or gain some beakers towards their research goal.
    Cernunnos will allow FoL civs to start a golden age.
    Dagda will give a +1 diplomacy modifier with other players.
    Danalin will allow OO civs to start a golden age.
    Esus will allow CoE civs to start a golden age (and raise the crime rate.)
    Junil will allow Order civs to start a golden age.
    Kilmorph will allow RoK civs to start a golden age.
    Lugus will allow Empyrean civs to start a golden age (and lower the crime rate.)
    Mammon gives you 40 gold.
    Mulcarn will cool some squares temporarily (desert to plains, plains to tundra, grass to tundra, tundra to snow) and allow Illians to start a golden age.
    Nantosuelta has no effect I believe.
    Oghma gives you some beakers towards your research goal (25% of the cost.)
    Sirona will lower the AC by 3.
    Sucellus will heal units.
    Tali will put out any smoke/fires.