Westeros Base Map

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Custom maps' started by aimlessgun, Oct 18, 2010.

1. aimlessgun

aimlessgun King

Hopefully many of you are familiar with A Song of Ice and Fire. If you're not, go read one of the most amazing pieces of literature in the last 10 years.

The Map
    This is a base map of the Westeros continent. By which I mean, the resources and start locations are randomized, with the terrain/features placed by myself.

Download/install
    Map is available via ingame mod menu, named Westeros Base Map (v3)

Details

Artistic license has been taken since the maps in the books are quite minimal. I have placed forest and hills lightly in some places where not indicated by GRRM's maps, in the interest of playability (wanted to avoid vast sections of land without any hammer tiles). The map is also stretched East to West a little, to allow for some more feature definition and because Westeros is incredibly tall and thin, which the map dimensions available in Worldbuilder cannot support.

Map is 80x80, though the actual landmass fits in a rectangle 37x80. Recommend 8-12 civs.

Some screens:

Spoiler :

Dorne

Spoiler :

Riverlands/Vale

Spoiler :

Some of the North

Suggestions/improvements/disagreements welcome.

2. Dark_Jedi06

Dark_Jedi06 "Deus ex Machina."

Seems I was beaten to the bunch, as I was planning on make a Westeros map myself. :D

Is this part of a larger mod in the works (hopefully)? I'm not sure what the current dimensions are, but I think it would be possible with a huge map to add in Braavos, the Lands of the Summer Sea, etc.

Edit: This is by far one of the best iterations of Westeros if you're interested.

3. aimlessgun

aimlessgun King

Man that is a nice map in the link.

I believe you could add Braavos etc. Would obviously have to unstretch Westeros. I actually don't know how (or is it possible?) to copy paste parts of maps in worldbuilder though...Anyways unless there are some official maps that I'm not aware of, it would be highly speculative right?

I have a lot of random ideas for a ASoIaF mod, such as some serious delving into city states to convert them into bannermen, which are your main source of military etc and somehow capturing the whole feudal system, but alas I lack programming skills, so I doubt I'll have time to teach myself :/

4. six blade knife

six blade knife Chieftain

I'm now playing with is map and I just find it awesome !
    thanks for the good work aimlessgun ! :goodjob:

I read all the books of RR Martin yet available in france and it's a pleasure fighting and expanding all over westeros :woohoo:

5. aimlessgun

aimlessgun King

Great to hear, thanks :D

6. six blade knife

six blade knife Chieftain

this would be great too !

7. ljofthemm

ljofthemm Chieftain

Hello All,

I haven't created my own mods/scenarios since Civ 2... So I have decided to bite off more than I can chew. I really want to create a Song of Ice and Fire scenario, but to make it as it deserves to be made, I will need some help from some experienced modders. If anyone is interested, send me a message either here or on steam (ljofthemm1111).

8. Darkglasses

Darkglasses Chieftain

So I haven't been playing Civ 5 for too long and wanted to check out what available mod maps there are. I found this Westeros map and as far as I can tell I have downloaded it using the ingame mod menu. Now I can't figure out how to actually play this map.

Can anyone help?

9. gulger99

gulger99 Chieftain

Probably b/c of upgrades over the last year, the westeros map doesn't work. I found one from the song of fire and ice scenario and might take a swipe at making it work decently.

10. DefoesRightBoot

DefoesRightBoot Former Daimyo x3...

11. Thomas Ash

Thomas Ash Chieftain

Direct download link for Macs?

12. BehindYou

BehindYou Chieftain

image is broken

says "discover imageshack"

links to page with a video about imageshack